Default Router Question

Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

news.verizon.net

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Funny you should pose the question, as I was looking at the exact 2 router
sets recently as well. They each seem to have their benefits: The Bosch
has a nicer "feel" to it, from what I've heard, but the DeWalt has the
detachable power cord and pretty good dust collection on the plunge base.
Also, the Bosch has a magnesium base, which may require periodic treatment
to prevent oxidation (although the Mg base also makes it pretty light).

You may want to look up reviews on the routers in question. I know Pat
Warner did a pretty good job on his site
http://www.patwarner.com/dw618pk.html of the DW (I am not affiliated, etc,
etc.) So I guess that pretty much lets you know which one I'm picking, but
to be honest, with the two choices listed, you really can't go wrong. The
specs on both tools seem to be just what I was looking for.

Again, I am sure the Bosch is a fine tool, I just think that you really
can't go wrong with either set, as they are both very well reviewed.

Hope this helps, but I have a feeling it didn't. Oh, well. Good luck.

-Barry K.

news.verizon.net

You also may want to check out this discussion, as it seems pertinent:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

Hope this helps.

-Barry K.

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also

includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Al in WA

I have the Bosch and have NO reqrets, use it in my table and have no
regrets. Probably buy another for hand held work.
Al

Bay Area Dave

So, Al, do you have ANY regrets about your Bosch router??

dave

Al in WA wrote:

I have the Bosch and have NO reqrets, use it in my table and have no
regrets.
Al

George

That is such an easy choice! Bosch. I have their much older and more
powerful 1611EVS (and a number of other Bosch tools)...they make great
tools. Very low failure rate and an excellent feel to them (balance and
ergonomics).

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Leon

I am not very familiar with the DeWalt bur have owned the Bosch 11617evs a
little over 5 years now. More than anything I appreciate the micro-adjust
depth adjustment on the Bosch. I bought this router to cut dovetails and
the micro adjust makes fine tuning the bit depth quick and accurate. I also
absolutely prefer a router that used 2 wrenches to loosen and tighten a
router bit. After having both styles on numerous routers, its 2 wrenches
for me.

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

ELA

Everything said about the Bosch I totally agree with and the Delux Edge
guide is a thing of beauty with micro adjust and it can be used to do
circles. Get Pat Werner's clear bases for it - another piece of art.

ELA

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Lawrence A. Ramsey

I vbought a Micro-Router for $100 and realized what I had been missing
with my router!! This thing is awesome!!!! It is SO precise that I
almost hate to use it.

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Al in WA

I think my keyboard had a senior moment.
Al

Ok, hold everything!

Rockler just sent me an email about the new Porter-Cable 893PK:
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10695
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=276&p=259457

Key Features:
2-1/4 HP
fixed & plunge bases
Micro-adjustability of bit height from above or from below a table
Through-the-table bit changing with an automatic collet lock
Easier to grip body for one-handed use
through-the-handle dust collection (optional)

Now, for you heavy-router experienced, how would you compare this kit with
the DeWalt #DW618PK or the Bosch #1617EVSPK kits mentioned below?

And thanks again for your help on this. I have a limited budget so whatever
I get is going to have to last me for a long time (at least through the
learning curve).

---

wrote in message
Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close
call that I may just end up flipping a coin.

I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same
price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a
carrying case.

They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes
an edge guide.

So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?

Yes, I know the P-C rep. So, I am leaning toward this model now as it seems
to have been designed with specific features that are perfect for table use
(above bit access and micro-adjustment, etc ) and hand-held use (easy-grip
body, through the handle dust collection, etc).

Of course, this is a completely new line and any company can make a clunker.

Thanks for your opinion.

BTW: One question. I am not sure that I correctly interpreted your whole God
metephor. In this scenario, since you are giving the advice to me, am I God?

Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 11:05 PM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 03:58 PM
Is milwaukee router insrt plate mounting hole pattern same as porter cable pattern Rich Woodworking 1 July 22nd 03 05:22 AM