DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/217409-what-do-you-take-test-lumber-lumber-yard.html)

eganders October 13th 07 08:01 PM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

I thought I would put together a kit of things to take to the lumber
yard to test wood that I am interested in.

I wondered what others have found useful.

I have

a moisture meter
tape measure (probably should have at least a 12 ft tape, but the one
I have in the kit now is just 6 ft.
plane.
Spray bottle of water?

Other ideas???

Lee October 13th 07 08:31 PM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

Agree with garage. If you want to check grain forget the water. They may not
like it. I use odorless mineral spirits.Which they also might not
like.Depends.I have never had much of a problem with wood grain or
color....of course I'm lucky and have an excellent supplier.
"GarageWoodworks" .@. wrote in message

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought I would put together a kit of things to take to the lumber
yard to test wood that I am interested in.

I wondered what others have found useful.

I have

a moisture meter
tape measure (probably should have at least a 12 ft tape, but the one
I have in the kit now is just 6 ft.
plane.
Spray bottle of water?

Other ideas???

All I bring is a tape measure and CHALK. I like to chalk out my cuts so I
don't end up shorting myself or buying too much.
I don't measure moisture. Never had any problems with moisture probably
because I only buy lumber from lumberyards that kiln dry.

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Leon October 13th 07 10:06 PM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought I would put together a kit of things to take to the lumber
yard to test wood that I am interested in.

I wondered what others have found useful.

I have

a moisture meter
tape measure (probably should have at least a 12 ft tape, but the one
I have in the kit now is just 6 ft.
plane.
Spray bottle of water?

Other ideas???

I can tell by lookin if it is lumber, No Test Equipment Required. ;~)

Swingman October 14th 07 12:18 AM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

"Leon" wrote

I can tell by lookin if it is lumber, No Test Equipment Required. ;~)

Yeah ... those fiber cement boards just don't feel right! :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

B A R R Y October 14th 07 01:54 PM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:01:44 -0700, eganders
wrote:

I wondered what others have found useful.

I bring:

- 16 ft. tape (lives in the truck)
- Apron plane (only on special occasion)
- Leather gloves (lives in the truck) (I buy rough)
- Money (Makes carting the wood away easier)

I've never seen the need to test the moisture at my suppliers. A 16
foot tape can be run all the way out, so rough cuts can be marked
without moving the tape. I don't normally cut at the supplier, unless
it's raining and I need to get long material inside my enclosed
trailer.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

dpb October 14th 07 02:47 PM

eganders wrote:
I thought I would put together a kit of things to take to the lumber
yard to test wood that I am interested in.

I wondered what others have found useful.

I have

a moisture meter
tape measure (probably should have at least a 12 ft tape, but the one
I have in the kit now is just 6 ft.
plane.
Spray bottle of water?

Other ideas???

If you're buying for specifics, a small block plane and flashlight...

I rarely buy by the board but in 300-400 bd-ft, so my excursions
basically are -- call, place order (300-ft #1C 4/4 qs wh oak); go, load;
grit teeth, pay; return home, unload/stack; let sit.

Steve knight October 15th 07 05:28 AM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

if you by tropical woods then a moisture meter is important. cocobolo
and ebony and any oily wood it is best to check and make sure. it
tends to pass through so quick it can be 5 to 10% too high in
moisture.

Frank Drackman October 15th 07 10:27 PM

What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard

"eganders" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought I would put together a kit of things to take to the lumber
yard to test wood that I am interested in.

I wondered what others have found useful.

I have

a moisture meter
tape measure (probably should have at least a 12 ft tape, but the one
I have in the kit now is just 6 ft.
plane.
Spray bottle of water?

Other ideas???

My first suggestion is to ask for the location's policies before planing or
spraying liquid on any lumber.