Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is the tool for burning words or designs into wood?

I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
Susie wrote:

I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Are you thinking of a woodburner, which looks (in the inexpensive
versions) rather like a cheap pencil-style soldering iron? Simple sets
should be readily available at hobby/toy sorts of shops, among other
places.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 7:46 pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:
Susie writes:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

It's called a Woodburning kit

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=kd0142

You can also get custom branding irons, but the words burned are fixed.
And it's more expensive.

Thanks...I'll get one tomorrow!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 8:15 pm, Andrew Erickson
wrote:
In article .com,

Susie wrote:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Are you thinking of a woodburner, which looks (in the inexpensive
versions) rather like a cheap pencil-style soldering iron? Simple sets
should be readily available at hobby/toy sorts of shops, among other
places.

--
Andrew Erickson

Great, I'll call Hobby Lobby and see if they have it.
Thanks so much. Robbielynn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 7:29 pm, Susie wrote:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

Should be a trophy shop nearby that can burn it in
with a laser.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Susie wrote:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

A wood burning kit is nice but all you need is the woodburner tool and
a couple of woodburning tips. The one I use the most is shaped like a
pie with two flat edges angled to a point.

My best tip for you is to print out what you want to burn into the
wood on a sheet of paper with the correct fonts and sizes. Place the
paper on top of the wood and burn through the paper into the wood.
When you are finished burning peel of the paper with a putty knife and
brush. You can then toucch up any missed areas. Burning through the
paper also keeps you (and me) from over burning. Don't forget to
practice on a scrap piece of wood first. It is also handy to have a
fan blowing (on low) to keep the smoke away from your face.

Good luck, Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:29:49 -0700, Susie wrote:

I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

You can buy an inexpensive wood burning iron at most art supply places...

Beware the addiction, though... My wife started with a $10 burner and now has a
$200 digital/dual pen/changeable tip setup...
As the price of the burning stuff goes up, it changes from "woodburning" to
"pyrography"..
Sort of like "shop" & "Shoppe"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:04:25 -0700, Dave wrote:

Susie wrote:
[...]

I might add, since I'm struggling to learn to sign my work, that practice on
similar wood is very helpful...

It looks SO easy when my wife does it, but trying to get rounded or smooth lines
without making dots and skips or having the grain deflect the tip is a real
challenge...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" confessed

I might add, since I'm struggling to learn to sign my work, that practice
on
similar wood is very helpful...

It looks SO easy when my wife does it, but trying to get rounded or smooth
lines
without making dots and skips or having the grain deflect the tip is a
real
challenge...

Perhaps you could get her to "sign" your works for a small fee. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 28, 8:04 am, Dave wrote:
Susie wrote:
[...]

Love the idea of using paper as a guide. Very helpful. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 28, 10:12 am, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:29:49 -0700, Susie wrote:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

You can buy an inexpensive wood burning iron at most art supply places...

Beware the addiction, though... My wife started with a $10 burner and now has a
$200 digital/dual pen/changeable tip setup...
As the price of the burning stuff goes up, it changes from "woodburning" to
"pyrography"..
Sort of like "shop" & "Shoppe"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Actually, I am sort of artsy and may get
addicted like your wife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Love the idea of using paper as a guide. Very helpful. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Works great when burning on a business card size piece of wood making
custom business cards.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:48:08 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" confessed

I might add, since I'm struggling to learn to sign my work, that practice
on
similar wood is very helpful...

It looks SO easy when my wife does it, but trying to get rounded or smooth
lines
without making dots and skips or having the grain deflect the tip is a
real
challenge...

Perhaps you could get her to "sign" your works for a small fee. ;-)

Exactly my problem, Lee!

She got into pyrography so she could put my name and the year and stuff on the
pieces, but my clients kept saying that "the artist should sign the work"..
*sigh*

BTW: The initial fee was for the digital burner, 2 pens and a LOT of tips.. :-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:40:55 -0700, Susie wrote:

On Sep 28, 10:12 am, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:29:49 -0700, Susie wrote:
I need to mark an important wooden piece of personal keepsake. I know
my Dad
used to have a heated tool that "burnishes" letters, numbers, etc. in
wood.

Thanks, Robbielynn

You can buy an inexpensive wood burning iron at most art supply places...

Beware the addiction, though... My wife started with a $10 burner and now has a
$200 digital/dual pen/changeable tip setup...
As the price of the burning stuff goes up, it changes from "woodburning" to
"pyrography"..
Sort of like "shop" & "Shoppe"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Actually, I am sort of artsy and may get
addicted like your wife.

Cool... there are many local and internet groups that can help a lot..
My wife is on a Yahoo group that she seems to like..

(I'd prefer my wood burning to be in the fire pit)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Sep 29, 2007, 6:23pm
(Lee*Michaels) doth sayeth:
We all saw that magnifying experiment in school where sunlight was
concentrated on paper till it burned. snip

I'm not talking about learning to set ants on fire. This is what I
meant:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/4029/bhnetka.html

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Wood for Burning Benni Home Repair 10 August 12th 06 04:09 PM
Burning of the wood The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 August 1st 06 01:31 AM
burning wood bizHB Woodturning 6 July 2nd 06 05:43 PM
E-Norm-ous Tool Sale--Pix and Words Bob Schmall Woodworking 4 October 29th 04 04:46 PM
Wood burning Dawn Cherni Woodworking 6 August 28th 04 02:26 PM