DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Post size for Stickley chest/dresser (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/21468-post-size-stickley-chest-dresser.html)

Eric Anderson October 1st 03 01:03 PM

Post size for Stickley chest/dresser

My plans for a Stickley chest (#627 is what I am making) call for 1
3/4 posts. That is what I used on a nightstand I made and it looked
well proportioned. I offset the side rails (3/4" stock) toward the
outside so there was little relief (post to rail). The chest,
however, shows a tenon centered in the front post. Should I offset
the tenon (in the rail) toward the inside of the rail in order to
center it in the post? I think the post to rail looks better if it
is offset toward the outside of the rail to keep the relief (step from
post to rail) small.

This question deals with most of the post and beam Stickley designs.

Top view looking down along post on left side of chest.

| |
| | rail
| |
__|___ _|______
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|____|__|_____|
|_ |

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker October 1st 03 01:27 PM

Post size for Stickley chest/dresser

In my original design side table ( or night stand as some have adapted it),
I offset it so there is about a 1/4 reveal, not centered on the post. I
think on a chest I would do the same since that much post reveal will not
look right to me even if that was the original design.

In looking at my reference of originals, it looks like they do it both ways
on different pieces. You might want to do a mock up of an upper and lower
rail on a post out of pine to see what it looks like actual size instead of
on a drawing.

Good luck and I would love to see the finished piece.

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
m...
My plans for a Stickley chest (#627 is what I am making) call for 1
3/4 posts. That is what I used on a nightstand I made and it looked
well proportioned. I offset the side rails (3/4" stock) toward the
outside so there was little relief (post to rail). The chest,
however, shows a tenon centered in the front post. Should I offset
the tenon (in the rail) toward the inside of the rail in order to
center it in the post? I think the post to rail looks better if it
is offset toward the outside of the rail to keep the relief (step from
post to rail) small.

This question deals with most of the post and beam Stickley designs.

Top view looking down along post on left side of chest.

| |
| | rail
| |
__|___ _|______
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|____|__|_____|
|_ |

Eric Anderson October 1st 03 10:32 PM

Post size for Stickley chest/dresser

Thanks for the feedback. I think testing it with some scrap pieces
would be good for a couple of reasons. The reveal could be tested and
I can also verify the construction approach of the post/rail/panel.

And yes, my wife would like to see it also. Right now we have a
traditional chest and dresser in mahogany combined with a bed and
nightstands in Arts and Crafts quarter sawn white oak. Neat, huh?

"Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker" wrote in message ...
In my original design side table ( or night stand as some have adapted it),
I offset it so there is about a 1/4 reveal, not centered on the post. I
think on a chest I would do the same since that much post reveal will not
look right to me even if that was the original design.

In looking at my reference of originals, it looks like they do it both ways
on different pieces. You might want to do a mock up of an upper and lower
rail on a post out of pine to see what it looks like actual size instead of
on a drawing.

Good luck and I would love to see the finished piece.

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
m...
My plans for a Stickley chest (#627 is what I am making) call for 1
3/4 posts. That is what I used on a nightstand I made and it looked
well proportioned. I offset the side rails (3/4" stock) toward the
outside so there was little relief (post to rail). The chest,
however, shows a tenon centered in the front post. Should I offset
the tenon (in the rail) toward the inside of the rail in order to
center it in the post? I think the post to rail looks better if it
is offset toward the outside of the rail to keep the relief (step from
post to rail) small.

This question deals with most of the post and beam Stickley designs.

Top view looking down along post on left side of chest.

| |
| | rail
| |

| | | |