KR & CA Hunter

Default Experience with Incra Ultra

Can anyone advise experience with the Incra Ulta precisism fence system.
Primarily for making fine boxes joints. Eg. Would a Leigh system be a
better option?

Thanks

DJ Delorie

"KR & CA Hunter" writes:
Can anyone advise experience with the Incra Ulta precisism fence
system. Primarily for making fine boxes joints. Eg. Would a Leigh
system be a better option?

I have both. For dovetails, I use the Incra for smaller projects and
the Leigh for larger ones. The way the Incra does dovetails, you only
get half the strength of a true dovetail. For box joints, either
should work, but the Incra is probably easier to set up due to the
precision templates. I use the Incra for box joints.

Also, consider that for the Incra you move the wood, and for the Leigh
you move the router. For larger projects, this alone is a good reason
to use the Leigh.

The Leigh also can't make box joints smaller than a certain size, due
to the way the jig works. The Incra can make box joints as small as
your router bit allows.
Tom Bergman

I have both.

Although they can both do a lot of the same things, they're really
better at different things. The incra is a great all-around router
fence. There are other similar systems (equally expensive) that
probably are just as good. I don't regret the expense for a minute.
Even for routine router table stuff the repeatability and precision it
provides is great. Its only big weakness is dust collection in my
opinion. In terms where it overlaps with the leigh, dovetails, finger
joints, etc, the incra is better suited to box-type work. It is not
ideal for doing dovetails for cabinet drawers, for example, because of
the way the wood is presented to the bit - hard to keep the board
properly vertical. But it excels at box-type joints, and the
templates do make it straightforward.

The leigh jig, while you can do small boxes and double-dovetail type
work, is really set up to do cabinet drawer or casework joints. And
it excels at that. It is really best for production-setups, where
you're making a run of a least a few drawers of the same size. Both
the leigh and incra, like any jig, have setup time to consider. Since
I never remove the incra from the router table (and hence the
centerline never has to be reset) I find the setup to be much quicker
than on the leigh.

I can't see myself ever getting rid of the incra. While the leigh
does a great job, after my basement bar cabinets and kitchen cabinets
are done I can see myself selling the leigh jig. If I'm only making a
cabinet with drawers once a year or so, I'd just as soon cut dovetails
by hand. But right now, with the need to make lots of drawers, many
the same size, the leigh jig is a huge timesaver.

"KR & CA Hunter" wrote in message ...
Can anyone advise experience with the Incra Ulta precisism fence system.
Primarily for making fine boxes joints. Eg. Would a Leigh system be a
better option?

Thanks

Leon

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

The Leigh also can't make box joints smaller than a certain size, due
to the way the jig works. The Incra can make box joints as small as
your router bit allows.

With the F1 template, you can make box joints down to 1/16" with the Leigh
IIRC.