Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lost my yellow plastic safety key!

Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

Thanks,
ds

Posted to rec.woodworking

"largecorp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

You mean other than shorting the switch? No, sorry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

largecorp wrote:
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

If you have a large local Sears, might try there -- many of their tools
used a very similar if not the same "key".

No more complicated than they are, surely it wouldn't take much to make
a dummy.

On another tack, I replaced them all w/ regular mag starters or better
quality mechanical switches as they failed on what I had -- none of the
originals lasted more than a couple years at best as I recall...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"largecorp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

Put in another switch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Aug 17, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3) (largecorp) doth
claimeth:
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine is
missing. snip

If you've not "seen" the safety key, how do you know it was
yellow?

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"largecorp" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

Thanks,
ds

Put a couple of popsicle sticks in the 2 slots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lost mine for a Craftsman bandsaw. Just glued up some plastic to fit. Been
using it for only around 8 years now.

--
Strube
Professional Firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...

Posted to rec.woodworking

(J T) wrote in news:26285-46C63054-407
@storefull-3336.bay.webtv.net:

Fri, Aug 17, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3)
(largecorp) doth
claimeth:
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine is
missing. snip

If you've not "seen" the safety key, how do you know it was
yellow?

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Are you missing a Delta belt/disk sander, JOAT? ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Put a couple of popsicle sticks in the 2 slots.

Just be sure you wipe the wine off first!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Aug 18, 2007, 3:24am (EDT+4) (Puckdropper)
doth query thusly:
Are you missing a Delta belt/disk sander, JOAT? ;-)

Nope, but willing to seriously consider buying one - if the safety
key is yellow.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 17, 11:17 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Put a couple of popsicle sticks in the 2 slots.

Just be sure you wipe the wine off first!

Hah!!!

It brings back the picture...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the suggestions (and the goads)--I think I'll try to rig up
dummy (no comments, please!).

ds

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:27:18 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"largecorp" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi, folks,
I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one:
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to
require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine
is missing.

I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does
anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!

You mean other than shorting the switch? No, sorry.

What's REALLY funny is that the safety is there to prevent kids from
hurting themselves on saws or other power tools. But the little,
attractive, yellow thingie is just right for a little kid to be
tempted to put into his mouth and choke on. I wonder if the CPSC has
ever considered this...

Bob the Tomato
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob the Tomato wrote in
:

*snip*

What's REALLY funny is that the safety is there to prevent kids from
hurting themselves on saws or other power tools. But the little,
attractive, yellow thingie is just right for a little kid to be
tempted to put into his mouth and choke on. I wonder if the CPSC has
ever considered this...

Bob the Tomato

Yeah, and I'm going out to the shop now to get a couple fasteners in an
old medicine bottle. Anyone's 5 year old still up? :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to dpb, tangent wrote:
Ebay has copies of two prong yellow button for sale 7 to 8 US. A bit high,
so for a cheap alternate, any thing that will shape out to two prongs will
work. I just twisted a length of 12 gauge electrical wire into a U. Works,
but wire might be hazard in the switch body. Fix 2. If you notice, the
Craftsman safety key measures out very close to the kiddie 120 VAC outlet
protectors. Just trim the terminal width down to match the Craftsman key.
The prongs are oblique to the key tab. Use a heating element (soldering iron
tip) to get the base of the prong plastic and cant to angle.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ey-389831-.htm