Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Does anyone use Earthlink?

I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired articles
as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone here. I
guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if I am alone or
not.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glen wrote:
| I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
| groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired
| articles as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone
| here. I guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if
| I am alone or not.

Dunno - I think you might be all alone here, cut off from all the rest
of the world. When you speak, do you hear an echo?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Glen" wrote in message
I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other groups I
follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired articles as well from
as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone here. I guess if I can't see
this message I will still not know if I am alone or not.

Glen

Earthlink's new enhanced Usenet service is the problem... if you Reset the
news groups and then "catch up" it should straighten things out for you...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:11:54 -0700, Glen wrote:

I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired
articles as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone
here. I guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if
I am alone or not.

Me, too. Just got a mail from them saying they "upgraded" their news
services, and now my client (Pan on Linux) thinks this and another
group never have any new posts. I'm betting the time syncing got off,
although one other group I read is still working correctly. This has
happened once before that I remember, too. Maybe something to do with
whether a list uses GMT or not?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Glen wrote:
I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired articles
as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone here. I
guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if I am alone or
not.

Glen

Hi Glen,

I'm a recovering earthlink customer.
They don't really want to support Usenet.

I had direct access via Verizon FIOS for over a year but when we moved
and got the new FIOS account here, earthlink blocked my access to the
news groups. Said I had to dial in or buy their DLS service.

I'm leaving the email account open for a couple more months to allow
everybody time to change their address books - then I'm gone.

After 6 years......

Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" writes:

Earthlink's new enhanced Usenet service is the problem... if you Reset the
news groups and then "catch up" it should straighten things out for you...

Typically each USENET server numbers each and every incoming article,
starting with #1. On my RR server, the latest article in this forum is
numbered 721129.

When you switch servers, the numbers are all different. A new server
will likely have smaller numbers, which means "you have already seen
them." Therefore John's suggest to "reset" and "catch up" is a good
one, and something any of us may have to do when we switch to a new
server.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 02:26:38 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Glen wrote:
I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired articles
as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone here. I
guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if I am alone or
not.

Glen

Hi Glen,

I'm a recovering earthlink customer.
They don't really want to support Usenet.

I had direct access via Verizon FIOS for over a year but when we moved
and got the new FIOS account here, earthlink blocked my access to the
news groups. Said I had to dial in or buy their DLS service.

I'm leaving the email account open for a couple more months to allow
everybody time to change their address books - then I'm gone.

After 6 years......

Richard

I had a chat with them the other day. They said I had to change my
port in Agent. That worked for a litle bit. I complained that the
number of daily posts was incorrect. Then they said I had to change
from news.east.earthlink.net to news.earthlink.net. The person on the
line asked if changing to a different server helped. I replied that if
she waited with me for 23.5 hours I could give her an answer.

I am having authentication errors. which was the start of the problem
with their enhanced newsgroup server upgrade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Glen wrote:
I haven't seen a new post here for about three days, but the other
groups I follow seem to work (except I get a bunch of expired articles
as well from as far back as 2006). I wonder if I am alone here. I
guess if I can't see this message I will still not know if I am alone or
not.

I had a chat with them the other day. They said I had to change my
port in Agent. That worked for a litle bit. I complained that the
number of daily posts was incorrect. Then they said I had to change
from news.east.earthlink.net to news.earthlink.net. The person on the
line asked if changing to a different server helped. I replied that if
she waited with me for 23.5 hours I could give her an answer.

I am having authentication errors. which was the start of the problem
with their enhanced newsgroup server upgrade.

I had problems with that.... seems Time Warner didn't have the ISP number
range registered that Earthlink was using so it didn't matter what I did...
Took a MONTH to get that fixed. I had to get Tier 3 tech support from both
companies on the phone at the same time and repeat to them together what I
suspected the problem was within 2 days of the failure... Glad I wasn't busy
at that time. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Glen wrote:

[...]

Same authentication problems here.

When they sent the operation to India they lost most of the people who
knew what to do. Immediately after that it took forever to get anything
fixed.

The last time (when east and west met - 2004 or 5?) it took months to
get the system working - and that was done via a newsgroup (which one
could not get to very easily with the news server down) - not through
customer support. (I got the word via Google Groups of all places!)

This particular issue I was told three wrong reasons in one call.
All of them were supposedly my system. As usual.

Finally just gave up.

Verison Fios Rocks!

Richard