DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what are laminate "wood" floors really made of??? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/209330-what-laminate-wood-floors-really-made.html)

Doug[_3_] August 4th 07 10:55 PM

what are laminate "wood" floors really made of???

I am considering putting laminate flooring in my basement. What are
these floors made of anyway? It looks like some kind of hardboard or
MDF base, but is the laminate a real wood veneer? To me it looks like
some kind of iimitation faux wood. Anyone have any insights?

Jim Behning August 4th 07 11:21 PM

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:55:38 -0700, Doug wrote:

I am considering putting laminate flooring in my basement. What are
these floors made of anyway? It looks like some kind of hardboard or
MDF base, but is the laminate a real wood veneer? To me it looks like
some kind of iimitation faux wood. Anyone have any insights?

Some have a wood veneer top layer. Others are a plastic substance
similar to Formica. Some are mdf base and others are plywood based.
You need to read the box of the product you want. google laminate
flooring.

Edwin Pawlowski August 4th 07 11:53 PM

what are laminate "wood" floors really made of???

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering putting laminate flooring in my basement. What are
these floors made of anyway? It looks like some kind of hardboard or
MDF base, but is the laminate a real wood veneer? To me it looks like
some kind of iimitation faux wood. Anyone have any insights?

Various types. The real wood ones are generally referred to as engineered
wood. The better laminates, like Wilson Art, are a high pressure plastic
laminate very much like the countertops. I don't know for sure what the
cheap stuff is.

Check out a real floor covering or home decorating store for the best brands
and selections.

Kyle Boatright August 5th 07 01:06 PM

what are laminate "wood" floors really made of???

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering putting laminate flooring in my basement. What are
these floors made of anyway? It looks like some kind of hardboard or
MDF base, but is the laminate a real wood veneer? To me it looks like
some kind of iimitation faux wood. Anyone have any insights?

Edwin P was correct in pointing out that engineered wood floors have a thin
veneer of real wood as the top layer. Depending on brand/price point, the
veneer may be over a plywood base or an MDF base.

Laminate can also be over what is essentially MDF or plywood. I work for a
manufacturer of various flooring products, and though I am not in the wood
flooring segment of our business, I understand the laminate is built as
follows:

- Take a large sheet of MDF.
- Apply a sheet of adhesive to the top.
- Apply a "picture" of the wood.
- Apply a sheet of protective material.

Insert this assembly in a high pressure/temperature press which includes an
embossing feature.

Press.

Run large finished sheet through saws/routers to cut the material to size
and profile the edges.

Chris Friesen August 7th 07 05:14 PM

what are laminate "wood" floors really made of???

Kyle Boatright wrote:

- Take a large sheet of MDF.

Actually, I think they generally use HDF.

Chris