DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finger joints and glue (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/208343-re-finger-joints-glue.html)

Toller July 26th 07 04:47 PM

Finger joints and glue

"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
I built a jig to make finger joints on my router table. I'm using a
1/2" router bit and spacing the fingers 1/2" apart. It worked well.
Probably too well. I had to dry join the wood with a rubber mallet and
a vise. The fit is extremely tight. I suspect it is way too tight to
glue. It seems to me that I'd want a couple thousands of an inch gap
between the fingers to accommodate the glue. What's a good way to
accomplish this? Should I just sand the fingers before joining?

I use extended set glue on overly tight joints. It is thinner.

If you have more than one bit you might try another; it might be a little
wider.

Jeff July 27th 07 02:18 PM

Finger joints and glue

On Jul 26, 11:47 am, "Toller" wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

ups.com...I built a jig to make finger joints on my router table. I'm using a
1/2" router bit and spacing the fingers 1/2" apart. It worked well.
Probably too well. I had to dry join the wood with a rubber mallet and
a vise. The fit is extremely tight. I suspect it is way too tight to
glue. It seems to me that I'd want a couple thousands of an inch gap
between the fingers to accommodate the glue. What's a good way to
accomplish this? Should I just sand the fingers before joining?

I use extended set glue on overly tight joints. It is thinner.

If you have more than one bit you might try another; it might be a little
wider.

Can you recommend a brand of extended set glue that you like?

Jeff