Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bluetobb

Default Quality of a Square?

I am a beginner wood worker. I was told one of the essential tools
beyond any power tools is a good machinest square. So... I went to my
local Woodcrafters and purchased a $60 Starrett Machinest 6" square. I
was happy with my purchase and excited to use it to better set up my
TS. When I started using it to check alignment of the fence with the
miter slot I found what I think is a flaw but it might be so small
that it is to be expected and/or does not matter for what I am doing.

When I placed the steel ruler of the machinest square in the slot
width wise. As if I was ripping the ruler on the TS but had it stood
up on end. One end of the ruler fit in the slot perfectly and I could
not twist the ruler at all, it was locked in, the only thing I could
do was pull it up out of the slot. But when I put the other end of the
ruler in the miter slot at the same spot the fit was loose. I could
spin the ruler in the slot. I hope I explained this well if not I will
try again.

Is this a reasonable amount of imperfection in a $60 machinest square?
I am guessing it is only difference of less than 1/32 of an inch but I
am not sure. Any advice would be much apprecaited.

Thanks
Dan