Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner

There are a number of 557 Mk III's with a defective part (believe it is the
shaft the cutter runs on) that results in the slots being too wide (mine
were approx 0.185), Porter Cable knows of this problem.

Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
There are a number of 557 Mk III's with a defective part (believe it is
the shaft the cutter runs on) that results in the slots being too wide
(mine were approx 0.185), Porter Cable knows of this problem.

Peter

Peter - who did you talk to there ? Do you remember ? I've spoken to them
and they deny ever having heard of it on the type 3s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
There are a number of 557 Mk III's with a defective part (believe it is
the shaft the cutter runs on) that results in the slots being too wide
(mine were approx 0.185), Porter Cable knows of this problem.

Peter

Peter - who did you talk to there ? Do you remember ? I've spoken to
them and they deny ever having heard of it on the type 3s.

IIRC that was a problem with the Type I's

Posted to rec.woodworking

The guy I spoke to was Jack, when I called PC support they first tier
support couldn't help but did arrange for a second tier/expert to call back;
Jack was who called back. I bought my first unit from Amazon and had the
problem, called PC and didn't really get anywhere, figured the easiest
option was to get a replacement. Amazon service was great, replacement was
sent overnight; however second unit had same problem of wide slot. I called
PC again and got through to Jack who told me of a defective batch of shafts.

I've sent both mine back and borrowing a friend's DeWalt (the biscuits are a
push fit) until the type IV's are in the stores. Then I'll probably go to a
store where I can test the unit before buying.

Except for the slot being too wide I liked the unit, the exhaust needs to be
redesigned, it clogs with cuttings after a few slots.

Good luck,

Peter