Default OT NewsProxy install

Despite the excellent FAQ's that David has posted to assist, I've been
unable to make the NewsProxy work for me. I need a look at my setup to see
if I'm missing something.
I moved from Japan to Hawaii and got, at last, a highspeed connection. I now
download the entire message from newsgroups instead of just the headers. As
a result, I want to filter the junk.
I think I followed the guidance David provided, but...
I followed the 5 steps:
1. download/install
2. used the startup to load the newsproxy
3. looked up my server and checked for the 119
4. edited the server name and cut/paste the edited filters from the FAQ.
5. saved filter file.

Unfortunately, no luck.

Config file is set as follows:
General Tab:
Filter Name: nfilter.dat
Header Batch size: 100
Check on box for listen immediately on startup
Network Tab:
Server
Server name: news-server.hawaii.rr.com
Server Port 119 Timeout 120
Client
Listen Port 119, no check in the box
Forgery Flood Tab
nothing checked
Message Headers Tab
check on Enable Cancel Locks
secret key has 7 characters

Main Screen, View Tab, dropped articles has nothing listed (following a
sync)

Main Screen, Messages is empty
Main Screen, Status
Active tasks: 1
1. Active listening to port 119

Appreciate your review of the above and advice on settings.

Thanks
Jack Carey

** How to use Nfilter to filter out Trolls and other useless crap **

I have been using the wreck for years now, and I finally broke down and

had
to start using filters due to a recent troll attack.

1. Download & install NewsProxy from http://www.nfilter.org/
Basic instructions are at http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html#2.2

2. Copy the "NewsProxy" shortcut from - C:\Program Files\NewsProxy\
To - C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\
[Modify this to suit your OS. I'm running win98SE.]

3. Start OE. Right click on your news folder (not rec.ww - you want the

main
news folder) and select Properties. Select the Server tab. Copy
the information from the Server Name box. Enter "localhost" (without

the
quote marks) in the Server Name box. Select the Advanced tab and
make sure that News(NNTP): is set to 119. Click OK.

4. In NewsProxy. Select Edit | Configuration | Network tab. In Server

Name
or IP Number paste the information from Server Name you copied
in step 3. Click OK. Select Edit | Filters. Copy the following 6

lines
the bottom of the file & be sure not to leave any blank lines.

rec.woodworking drop xref:*rec.pets*
rec.woodworking drop xref:*:*:*:*
rec.woodworking drop from:*puppy*
rec.woodworking drop from:*Al Kyder*
rec.woodworking drop from:*LoxFather*
rec.woodworking drop from:*bwa*ha*ha*
rec.woodworking drop subject:******
rec.woodworking drop subject:*cocksuck*
rec.woodworking drop subject:*sharpton*

You should be able to see from those examples how to add additional

rules
drop messages with certain words in the subject or from specific users.

If
you have any questions, please reply to this message.

Save and close the file.

5. If you are running a firewall like ZoneAlarm you will need to enable
NewsProxy to function as a server.

I am working on some additional rules, if anyone has any to add, please

let
me know.

A special thankyou to Art, AKA the Wood Butcher for his help installing
Nfilter, It works, go get it and install it now.

Wood Butcher

It appears that your newsreader program is still
connecting to news-server.hawaii.rr.com.
You need to change this so the reader is connecting
to "localhost"; this is step 3 in David's instructions which
detail how to configure Outlook Express. If you're using
a different reader, tell us and someone who is knowledgeable
with it will likely respond.

Art

. ..

"Wood Butcher" wrote:

It appears that your newsreader program is still
connecting to news-server.hawaii.rr.com.
You need to change this so the reader is connecting
to "localhost"; this is step 3 in David's instructions which
detail how to configure Outlook Express. If you're using
a different reader, tell us and someone who is knowledgeable
with it will likely respond.

Art

localhost = 127.0.0.1 . Not sure if oe knows the word.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Wood Butcher

What newsreader are you using?
In other words, what program are you using to connect/read
this newsgroup?

Art

news

wrote:

Art/Wes:
Confusion here. Could you give me the localhost for dummies version?

Jack

Normally, your usenet reader connects to the address of your usenet
server. There is a box in your usenet reader where you put it's name
that resolves to a physical address in the form of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

You are trying to use netproxy. So you want to set net proxy to
contact your usenet server and you now want to have your usenet reader
contact the address of the proxy on your pc that will be washing the
messages.

The internal address of a machine using tcp/ip is 127.0.0.1 and is
commonly refered to as local host.

So to be short, put the address of newserver found in your news reader
into netproxy under the edit-configuration-network tab. Then put
127.0.0.1 in your news reader address of of news server box.

Make sure you have netproxy running or nothing will work.

hth
Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

URGENT - install Main Medway or Mersey??? Andy Evans UK diy 6 June 2nd 04 12:09 PM
install open fireplace tom w UK diy 7 March 23rd 04 10:20 AM
Finding a gas fitter to install a Keston Celsius 25 - success!!! Tim Mitchell UK diy 0 September 16th 03 01:11 PM
Advice on Which boiler to install? Dave Plowman UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:33 PM