DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do I make wooden rollers for scrolls? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/20632-re-how-do-i-make-wooden-rollers-scrolls.html)

Nova September 9th 03 02:06 AM

How do I make wooden rollers for scrolls?

"Healthy Stealthy ;" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I must do to create the wooden rolls that go
on the end of scrolls? Here is a sample of what I am talking about.
http://www.kstatecollegian.com/images/111202/torah.jpg
Thank you.

Buy a lathe and learn to turn.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Rick Frazier September 9th 03 05:36 AM

How do I make wooden rollers for scrolls?

Two ways I can think of right off.

First way would be to turn them on a lathe. If you don't have one or
wish to purchase one, see the second method...

Second way would be to obtain some closet pole material (it's like a
large diameter dowel), some rosettes, and a couple of pegs for each
wooden roll you want to make. Rosettes and pegs (handles) are available
at most catalog woodworker supply stores, or you can make your own with
a "rosette cutter" which goes in your drill press.
Cut closet pole to length, drill a hole in the center of the rosette and
closet pole for the tenon of the peg to go through the rosette and into
the closet pole/dowel. Glue and finish... If the pegs don't have long
enough tenons, you could drill the tenon with a smaller bit like 1/4
inch, drill the rosette for the peg tenon diameter, and drill the closet
pole/dowel for the smaller diameter holes and use a 1/4 inch dowel to
allow gluing it all together nice and straight...

Make sure any stain or finish you use is cured before you get it near a
scroll, or oil will leach onto the scroll paper... If it were me, I'd
probably stain and then finish with either lacquer or shellac...

--Rick