DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garden gate (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/205273-garden-gate.html)

samson July 2nd 07 02:52 AM

Garden gate

The wire on our garden fence has pulled the posts
on both sides of the gate area apart by 1 1/4 inches.
What makes the most sense, to build the picket gate to
fit the skewed proportions, or go ahead and build a
square gate and let there be a 1 1/4 gap at the top?

Thanks,

S.

Edwin Pawlowski July 2nd 07 03:39 AM

Garden gate

"samson" wrote in message
The wire on our garden fence has pulled the posts
on both sides of the gate area apart by 1 1/4 inches.
What makes the most sense, to build the picket gate to
fit the skewed proportions, or go ahead and build a
square gate and let there be a 1 1/4 gap at the top?

Fix the posts first. There is only one RIGHT way.

spaco July 2nd 07 04:33 AM

Garden gate

The wire didn't shrink, so the tension it produced must have been able
to move the posts. Brace the posts properly (or replace them if loose
or rotted, then a "square" gate will fit.

Pete Stanaitis