DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/205094-looking-someone-who-makes-small-barrels-kegs.html)

kyboy June 29th 07 04:11 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

The Other Funk June 29th 07 04:50 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Finding the keyboard operational
kyboy entered:

I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

A friend of mine uses these barrels for coffee.
http://www.mainebucket.com/public/

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

J T June 29th 07 07:28 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Fri, Jun 29, 2007, 11:11am (kyboy) doth burble:
I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs. Please
contact me if you know of anyone.

OK, I know of someone. Now what?

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

J T June 29th 07 07:31 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Fri, Jun 29, 2007, 3:50pm (EDT+4)
(The*Other*Funk) doth disclose:
A friend of mine uses these barrels for coffee.
http://www.mainebucket.com/public/

That much coffee can't be healthy.

Roy June 29th 07 09:01 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

If you need water tight kegs, d/l this catalog:

http://pantherprimitives.com/catalog.html

You might also google for wine making suppliers. They also sell new and used kegs.

Regards,
Roy

Puckdropper June 29th 07 11:21 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

kyboy wrote in news:56e3b$46852103$4b75cb22$21913
@ALLTEL.NET:

I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

I know where to get some about 3/8" tall and 1/8" in diameter. Small
enough?

Puckdropper

The Other Funk June 30th 07 12:32 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Finding the keyboard operational
J T entered:

Fri, Jun 29, 2007, 3:50pm (EDT+4)
(The Other Funk) doth disclose:
A friend of mine uses these barrels for coffee.
http://www.mainebucket.com/public/

That much coffee can't be healthy.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

It depends on if you are drinking for taste or for effect. :)
Actually it's for retail sales, not personal consumption.
Bob

spaco June 30th 07 01:35 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

The only place I know of (there must be several more) is the Cooper Shop
at Old Sturbridge Village, Mass.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

spaco June 30th 07 01:38 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Whoops! Colonial Williamsburg, too.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

B A R R Y June 30th 07 01:55 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:35:09 -0500, spaco
wrote:

The only place I know of (there must be several more) is the Cooper Shop
at Old Sturbridge Village, Mass.

Pete Stanaitis

I know that Cooper Shop... It's way more interesting to me than my
wife. G

Along those lines, but possibly more easily contacted, the OP could
pose the question to Adam Cherubini, c/o the "Popular Woodworking"
magazine website. Maybe he'd know of a professional cooper.

Adam demonstrates and teaches traditional, as in really old skool,
techniques at Colonial Williamsburg. Even though I use machines and
hand tools, I always find great value in Adam's columns on how flat
flat has to be, stock selection, etc...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

J T June 30th 07 04:41 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Fri, Jun 29, 2007, 11:32pm (EDT+4)
(The*Other*Funk) explaineth:
It depends on if you are drinking for taste or for effect. :) Actually
it's for retail sales, not personal consumption. Bob

Ah. I thought you meant someone was drinking coffee out of one,
instead of a cup. Course I did use to use a half liter beer mug as a
coffee cup. Next life I'll use a one liter.

Ross Hebeisen June 30th 07 05:07 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

try this one, The Cooperage, div of the woodmill
inc. p.o. box 348 640 chinook ave. sw.
avon, mn 56310 ph. 320 356 7125
email
hand crafted wooden barrels, as far as i know their still making
barrels, i used to supply them with some lumber for barrel making.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

B A R R Y June 30th 07 12:37 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:11:01 -0400, kyboy wrote:

I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Last night, I watched a TiVo'd episode of "Dirty Jobs" that visited a
commercial cooper! Unfortunately, a google search does not turn up
the name of the shop. However, it did return this:

http://www.thebarrelmill.com/store/prodcat.aspx

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Morris Dovey June 30th 07 01:55 PM

kyboy wrote:
| I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
| Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Post your question here - expect to read the answer here.

I know of an Amish group here in Iowa that makes white oak barrels for
customers around the world...

It'd have helped a lot to know what you mean when you say "small".
Does that mean less than a hundred gallons or does it mean something
that'll fit on a toy train?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

kyboy June 30th 07 02:08 PM

J T wrote:
Fri, Jun 29, 2007, 11:11am (kyboy) doth burble:
I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs. Please
contact me if you know of anyone.

OK, I know of someone. Now what?

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Next step, let me know who it is.

kyboy June 30th 07 02:09 PM

Puckdropper wrote:
kyboy wrote in news:56e3b$46852103$4b75cb22$21913
@ALLTEL.NET:

I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

I know where to get some about 3/8" tall and 1/8" in diameter. Small
enough?

Puckdropper

Way too small. I need usable size

kyboy June 30th 07 02:12 PM

Morris Dovey wrote:
kyboy wrote:
| I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
| Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Post your question here - expect to read the answer here.

I know of an Amish group here in Iowa that makes white oak barrels for
customers around the world...

It'd have helped a lot to know what you mean when you say "small".
Does that mean less than a hundred gallons or does it mean something
that'll fit on a toy train?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

1 liter up to 30 gallons

Morris Dovey June 30th 07 02:54 PM

kyboy wrote:
| Morris Dovey wrote:
|| kyboy wrote:
||| I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
||| Please contact me if you know of anyone.
|| Post your question here - expect to read the answer here.
|| I know of an Amish group here in Iowa that makes white oak barrels
|| for customers around the world...
|| It'd have helped a lot to know what you mean when you say "small".
|| Does that mean less than a hundred gallons or does it mean
|| something that'll fit on a toy train?
| 1 liter up to 30 gallons

That helps a lot. One sounds pretty small (but I don't know that it's
/too/ small), but 30 gallons sounds reasonable. The group is located
in SE Iowa - possibly near Ottumwa. There was an article describing
their operation in the Des Moines Register (www.DesMoinesRegister.com)
a while back. If you have difficulty finding the article, you can use
the "contact" link on their home page.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

J T June 30th 07 07:21 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Sat, Jun 30, 2007, 9:08am (kyboy) doth burble:
Next step, let me know who it is.

No. Next step is, you let us know all the details you never
bothered with in the first place. Sizes wanted, what you want them for,
etc., etc.

Maxwell Lol June 30th 07 09:35 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

kyboy writes:

1 liter up to 30 gallons

One of the sites mentioned has barrels starting at 1 gallon in size.
They also have tents. You have to go to the middle of the PDF catalog
to find the barrels.

Ross Hebeisen June 30th 07 11:13 PM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

i think you may find that Barry's search coming up with the barrelmill
would be the same place i mentioned. the website speaks of minnesota
white oak.
ross

B A R R Y July 1st 07 12:03 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:13:55 -0500, (Ross
Hebeisen) wrote:

i think you may find that Barry's search coming up with the barrelmill
would be the same place i mentioned. the website speaks of minnesota
white oak.
ross

Could be. How many of those places can be left that use Minnesota
White Oak?

**
http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

HeyBub July 1st 07 12:32 AM

kyboy wrote:
I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

Much more fun to make your own.

Roy July 1st 07 01:43 AM

On 30 Jun 2007 16:35:03 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:

kyboy writes:

1 liter up to 30 gallons

One of the sites mentioned has barrels starting at 1 gallon in size.
They also have tents. You have to go to the middle of the PDF catalog
to find the barrels.

Page 87 of the Panther Primitives catalog to be exact, but it's a lot of fun to get there. Great
company. I've been buying stuff from them for over 20 years now, including two of their wooden
kegs.

Their canvas products (Sunforger) are excellent, and made in their shop.

Regards,
Roy

HeyBub July 1st 07 08:57 PM

kyboy wrote:
I am looking for someone who makes small wooden barrels and kegs.
Please contact me if you know of anyone.

Thank you

Couple of neat things about wooden barrels.

1. One person can easily roll and navigate a standard barrel.

2. One person can rock the barrel with increasing amplitude until it can be
set upright.

J T July 2nd 07 04:58 AM

Looking for someone who makes small barrels & kegs

Sun, Jul 1, 2007, 2:57pm (EDT-1) (HeyBub) doh
sayeth:
Couple of neat things about wooden barrels.
1. One person can easily roll and navigate a standard barrel.
2. One person can rock the barrel with increasing amplitude until it can
be set upright.

1. That based on experience, or theory?
2. They say anything is possible, but I wouldn't want to be in
the immediate area when you try that one. Or you talking about an empty
barrel?