DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Porter Cable 557 plate joiner (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/204272-porter-cable-557-plate-joiner.html)

[email protected] June 20th 07 01:45 PM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

Doug Miller June 20th 07 02:45 PM

In article . com, wrote:
I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

It seems to me that the depth stop rod that's supposed to hit the stop on the
turret is either grossly maladjusted, broken, or missing altogether. Do you
have the owner's manual for it?

--
Regards,

[email protected] June 20th 07 02:56 PM

On Jun 20, 9:45 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

It seems to me that the depth stop rod that's supposed to hit the stop on the
turret is either grossly maladjusted, broken, or missing altogether. Do you
have the owner's manual for it?

--
Regards,

Yes, I do, but it didn't contain any useful information in regards to
my problem.

Leon June 20th 07 04:04 PM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

This should be straight forward simple. The turret is suppose to be stopped
by an adjustment screw when you plunge. This screw is mounted on the motor
housing plunge section directly behind the turret. That adjustment screw
should engage the turret at the different indexing positions on the back end
of the turret.

Perhaps the screw is missing.

Doug Miller June 20th 07 04:04 PM

wrote:
I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

It seems to me that the depth stop rod that's supposed to hit the stop on the
turret is either grossly maladjusted, broken, or missing altogether. Do you
have the owner's manual for it?

Yes, I do, but it didn't contain any useful information in regards to
my problem.

You didn't find the sections titled "Adjusting Depth of Groove" and "Fine
Adjustment" on page 7 to be useful?

Look again, specifically at those two sections -- particularly Figure 3 --
and also at Figure 12 on page 10. If you're cutting #20 slots with the turret
set at 10 or 0, the depth stop rod isn't hitting the stops on the turret that
it's supposed to hit. The rod is either maladjusted, broken, or missing.

--
Regards,

[email protected] June 20th 07 04:19 PM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

On Jun 20, 11:04 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

I am having a problem selecting the cutting depth. No matter what
position I set the turret, it will always cut a slot for a number 20
biscuit. Any suggestions?

This should be straight forward simple. The turret is suppose to be stopped
by an adjustment screw when you plunge. This screw is mounted on the motor
housing plunge section directly behind the turret. That adjustment screw
should engage the turret at the different indexing positions on the back end
of the turret.

Perhaps the screw is missing.

thanks to all

Doug Miller June 20th 07 05:38 PM

In article . com, wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:04 am, "Leon" wrote:

Perhaps the screw is missing.

thanks to all

So what turned out to be the problem? Was the screw missing, as Leon and I
suggested, or was it something else?

--
Regards,

[email protected] June 20th 07 07:50 PM

On Jun 20, 12:38 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:04 am, "Leon" wrote:
Perhaps the screw is missing.

thanks to all

So what turned out to be the problem? Was the screw missing, as Leon and I
suggested, or was it something else?

--
Regards,

Not sure, I am at work now and will investigate when I get home
tonight. Will report back tomorrow.

hello June 20th 07 11:44 PM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

There was a screw missing alright, but it wasn't on the joiner. It is
working OK now. Not sure what I was doing wrong yesterday.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...

Swingman June 21st 07 03:17 PM

"hello" wrote in message

There was a screw missing alright, but it wasn't on the joiner. It is
working OK now. Not sure what I was doing wrong yesterday.

LOL ... a more common problem than usually admitted.

Thanks for the follow up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Patriarch June 21st 07 06:36 PM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"hello" wrote in message

There was a screw missing alright, but it wasn't on the joiner. It is
working OK now. Not sure what I was doing wrong yesterday.

LOL ... a more common problem than usually admitted.

Thanks for the follow up.

I have sons in the computer business, who have to deal at times with tech
support.

They call it an 1d10t error.

Patriarch

pumis June 27th 07 10:09 AM

Porter Cable 557 plate joiner

Take it apart and check the spring behind the depth guage.
Mine shifted over the plastic and left it all the way open.
(#20) It will also help you understand how it works and
what to look for the next time it screws up. And it will.

Pumis

BillinDetroit June 28th 07 06:16 AM

Patriarch wrote:

I have sons in the computer business, who have to deal at times with tech
support.

They call it an 1d10t error.

Patriarch

AKA; "PEBKAC"

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

I did hardware AND software support on the side whilst teaching DOS &
related applications. Happy happy, joy joy.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000752-2, 06/27/2007
Tested on: 6/28/2007 1:16:52 AM