Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Construct Oak Door Jamb

Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want to do
something a little different for bathroom, but can't find anything but pine.
Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes.

You probably won't get there shopping at the Borg.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I
want to do something a little different for bathroom, but can't
find anything but pine. Is this something that's reasonably
do-able?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I
want to do something a little different for bathroom, but can't
find anything but pine. Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

Yes, assuming you have the tools and skill to use them. Finding oak
isn't hard...any lumber yard would have it; most Home Depot etc.;
many, many online places to order it.

Your next problem is deciding whether to use red or white oak.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:46:46 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want to do
something a little different for bathroom, but can't find anything but pine.
Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

It's easy with basic woodworking tools!

Go look at high quality prehung doors and you'll see it's not much
more than three boards, two rabbets, and some mortising. You can
attach the stop strips after the door is hung.

This past winter, I made maple door frames for a commercial project
that came up with free maple doors with no jambs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

It's easy with basic woodworking tools!

Go look at high quality prehung doors and you'll see it's not much
more than three boards, two rabbets, and some mortising. You can
attach the stop strips after the door is hung.

This past winter, I made maple door frames for a commercial project
that came up with free maple doors with no jambs.

It seems easy. What seems a little difficult for me given my bench-top TS
is that most jamb thickness appears less than a 1-by. So, I might have to
somehow shave the thickness down, unless the rough opening is large enough.
And since the standard size is 4- 9/16", I'd have to rip down a 1x6 on the
TS, and somehow clean up the saw marks, I guess with a ROS.

Other than that, how hard can it be?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want to do
something a little different for bathroom, but can't find anything but pine.
Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

It's pretty easy but I'm surprised you can't find blank oak jambs
locally. Otherwise just ripping down 1x6 oak will work. The edges
are normally undercut which you can accomplish by ripping at a slight
angle or using a jointer. You should be able to use 1x thick material
(3/4") as long as the opening is 2" wider than the door size you want
to use.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:22:47 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

It seems easy. What seems a little difficult for me given my bench-top TS
is that most jamb thickness appears less than a 1-by.

Trust me, 3/4" will work fine. In fact, with a hardwood door, a tad
extra will help keep the jamb straight. Any rough opening should have
a decent amount of shim space, so you shouldn't have anything at all
to worry. If it's THAT tight, take 1/16" to 1/8" off each side of the
door with a plane or router and straight edge.

The jambs I made were for 48" wide, 7 foot high, maple skinned,
particle board core doors, which were HEAVY! I don't think anything
less than 3/4" would have been OK.
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

If you do not like the cost of real oak, you may do as I did.

My local hardwood supply carried oak veneer jambs of the correct lengths (precut).

Much cheaper, and no one will know if they do not pull the jambs.

P D Q

wrote:

Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want to do
something a little different for bathroom, but can't find anything but pine.
Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

It's pretty easy but I'm surprised you can't find blank oak jambs
locally. Otherwise just ripping down 1x6 oak will work. The edges
are normally undercut which you can accomplish by ripping at a slight
angle or using a jointer. You should be able to use 1x thick material
(3/4") as long as the opening is 2" wider than the door size you want
to use.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:46:46 -0400, Buck Turgidson wrote:
Anyone ever attempt to make an oak door jamb set (interior)? I want
to do something a little different for bathroom, but can't find
anything but pine. Is this something that's reasonably do-able?

Yes! Although I made mine out of pine, it was one of my first ever
woodworking projects. I actually bought a Craftsman RAS, router, and
butt hinge template set for the purpose.

The house we lived in at the time was a pre-fab job, a rancher with a
truss roof. None of the interior walls were load bearing, and all of
them were 1-by studded, so a standard pre-hung door would not work, and
I couldn't locate any that would. We replaced 4 interior doors, and I
had to make the jambs for all of them.

Go for it!

--
Art Greenberg