Posted to rec.woodworking

Default top mount sink morphed into undermount - feasible?

I'm considering installing the kitchen sink as an undermount instead
of top mount.

If you don't want to read the rest, the main question is, are there
any drawbacks, or "oops" that I'm not thinking of that are gonna get
me in trouble mid way (or worse) thru the project?

Besides being a cleaner look, there are other advantages.

The clips are able to handle but so thick a material and ply + cement
backerboard board + granite tile are too much for 'em.

Trying to clip only to the tile concerns me.

My plan (at the moment) is to secure the sink to the ply base, run the
backerboard to the sink lip (but not over it) and then overlap the
tile on top of the sink lip to the edge.
Not sure how the thinset will be handled at the sink edge. Grout?

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 10:30 am, Renata wrote:
I'm considering installing the kitchen sink as an undermount instead
of top mount.

If you don't want to read the rest, the main question is, are there
any drawbacks, or "oops" that I'm not thinking of that are gonna get
me in trouble mid way (or worse) thru the project?

Besides being a cleaner look, there are other advantages.

The clips are able to handle but so thick a material and ply + cement
backerboard board + granite tile are too much for 'em.

Trying to clip only to the tile concerns me.

My plan (at the moment) is to secure the sink to the ply base, run the
backerboard to the sink lip (but not over it) and then overlap the
tile on top of the sink lip to the edge.
Not sure how the thinset will be handled at the sink edge. Grout?

Oh boy, where to begin.
You have to support all the weight of a full sink. Water and dishes.
Then make it all waterproof.
Then make it look good,

Start he

http://counter-seal.com/

This is a complex issue, far beyond the scope of a DIY attempt, IMHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:27:30 -0700, Robatoy
wrote:

On Jun 1, 10:30 am, Renata wrote:
I'm considering installing the kitchen sink as an undermount instead
of top mount.

If you don't want to read the rest, the main question is, are there
any drawbacks, or "oops" that I'm not thinking of that are gonna get
me in trouble mid way (or worse) thru the project?

Besides being a cleaner look, there are other advantages.

The clips are able to handle but so thick a material and ply + cement
backerboard board + granite tile are too much for 'em.

Trying to clip only to the tile concerns me.

My plan (at the moment) is to secure the sink to the ply base, run the
backerboard to the sink lip (but not over it) and then overlap the
tile on top of the sink lip to the edge.
Not sure how the thinset will be handled at the sink edge. Grout?

Oh boy, where to begin.
You have to support all the weight of a full sink. Water and dishes.

I actually over-engineer this aspect. Bought angle iron to help
reinforce the load bearing. But...

In reality, while it would've looked like undermount, in actuality
it's is top mount (mounted to ply base). The tile would simply have
gone over top of the sink flanges.

However, having realized the amount of cutting required to match the
contours of the sink, plus the aesthetics of tile vs solid, I have
decided to modify the design.

The plan is to mount the sink on top of the cement board and butt the
tile to the edge of the sink flanges, making the surface nearly flush
between the 2. Only issue in this version is the rounded corners of
the sink flange. My thinking at the moment is to buy a diamond circle
cutter w/ the radius matching the sink corners.

Whadyathink?

If that doesn't work, I'll do a straight top mount over the tile.

Then make it all waterproof.
Then make it look good,

A dry run - the tile really does look good in the pseudo undermount
design (overlapping sink flanges), but..., see above.

Start he

http://counter-seal.com/

Interesting site. Thanx.

This is a complex issue, far beyond the scope of a DIY attempt, IMHO.

Nah, I am always willing to stretch the limits. Though, I do try to
realize when the investment required, be it in tools or wisdom,
exceeds reasonableness.
(e.g. investing a grand in granite fabricating equipment is not
practical since I'm not planning to go into the business. Fabricator
would be the practical solution here).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 8:43 am, Renata wrote:

The plan is to mount the sink on top of the cement board and butt the
tile to the edge of the sink flanges, making the surface nearly flush
between the 2. Only issue in this version is the rounded corners of
the sink flange. My thinking at the moment is to buy a diamond circle
cutter w/ the radius matching the sink corners.

Whadyathink?

Yes, I like that approach. I don't know the sink you have in mind, but
if it is any of the 'big' guys, like Blanco, they will have a .dxf
file on line which you can import into a basic drawing program.
Franke, Kohler all have similar files. Have it printed out 1:1..or
trace it directly from the sink.
Can abrasive cords be had for band saws? Know anybody with a stain-
glass shop? Those cats have saws which will make short order of your
needs...for a few bucks, or a couple of well-chosen vintages, they'll
cut stuff for people.

If the flange of your sink is thinner than the tile, you can easily
elevate the sink. I think it would look a bit better if the sink edge
was a bit proud of the tile...but as I said, don't know which sink
you're using.

This is a complex issue, far beyond the scope of a DIY attempt, IMHO.

Nah, I am always willing to stretch the limits. [snip]

For sure.. me too. That is FUN!

My style these days is: "Yup, can do." and then worry about it
later.G

Good luck!