DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/20224-big-threads-1-1-2-inch-beall-thread-cutter.html)

Steven August 30th 03 02:32 AM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the Beall BIG thread cutters

I only hear good things about the Beall so they must do a good job,
but I have this nagging question to clear up before I spend big bucks
for the thread kit and a 1-3/8 inch drill bit.

OK here is the question: The dowel diameter is 1-1/2 inch, the drill
hole diameter is 1-3/8 inch which I believe gives a thread height of
only 1/16 inch. Or if the thread height is deeper thre would still
only be 1/16 of thread overlap between the "nut" and the "bolt". Isn't
that rather shallow for a big wooden thread? I want to make a heavy
wood screw for an old fashioned looking leg vice. The threads should
look like wood threads not fine metal threads.

Bye the way, the 1-1/2 inch Beall cuts 5 threads per inch which would
be a nice course thread, if not for the apparent shallow depth.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this tool.
What do the threads look like? How much catch is there between the
"bolt" and the "nut" threads.

Kim Whitmyre August 30th 03 03:26 AM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

In article , john3v16
@cogeco.ca says...
I would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this tool.
What do the threads look like? How much catch is there between the
"bolt" and the "nut" threads.

Plenty. . . ;~) The threads are shaped like triangles with the tips cut
off. Here is a shot of a sugar maple stool I made a few years ago:

http://home.mminternet.com/~donryu/images/sstool01.jpg

And here is a closeup of the threads:

http://home.mminternet.com/~donryu/images/threads.jpg

Kim

Larry Jaques August 30th 03 04:12 PM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

On 29 Aug 2003 18:32:28 -0700, (Steven) pixelated:

Bye the way, the 1-1/2 inch Beall cuts 5 threads per inch which would
be a nice course thread, if not for the apparent shallow depth.

Ironic question of the morning:

How can you make threads when you don't know
the difference between "course" and "coarse"?

(Now see Kim's answer)

-
Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount!
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

BRuce August 30th 03 04:43 PM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

yep, made the same stool from wormy maple. use it in the shop every
day. My threads were made with the hand threading box but the router
method is almost identical . I will be making more threads for my
bench, some 1 2/2 and some 3/4 for various clamps and vices.

--
---

BRuce

Mike Hide August 30th 03 04:47 PM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

If I recall correctly I saw an article on making large wood threads with a
router some time ago perhaps in FWW...mjh

--
mike hide

om...

Steven August 31st 03 09:11 PM

Big threads with 1-1/2 inch Beall Thread cutter

Thanks to everyone who responded. Photos by Kim are inspiring.

For those who actually used the Beall 1-1/2 inch kit to make threads,
what size drill did you use for the nut hole ?

Steven