Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cabinet doors

I have solid wood doors on my kitchen cabinets and would like to cut out the
centers and put glass in. Anyone have an idea on how to make up some kind of
jig to help do this? I have quite a few doors to do so a jig would really
help.

Terry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 5:06 pm, "Terry Kangas" kterryatpacifier.com wrote:
I have solid wood doors on my kitchen cabinets and would like to cut out the
centers and put glass in. Anyone have an idea on how to make up some kind of
jig to help do this? I have quite a few doors to do so a jig would really
help.

Terry

First thing is determine what kind of doors you have. If they are
'solid wood' or plywood you are probably SOL. The part remaining
after you make you cutout will break easily.

If they are raised panel doors here are two options.

1 cut out most of the panel with a jigsaw or circular saw and break
the rest out. Then chisel the back side of the groove away to accept
the glass.

2 use a router to remove the backside of the groove and lift out the
panel.