Old August 21st 03, 03:03 AM
todd

Default Why does Gorilla glue suck?

"D K Woods" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Aug 2003 20:41:29 GMT, Gfretwell wrote:

See if there is a date on the bottle, I've seen glue in stores that

should
have been off the shelf.

The only numbers are 76395030515. I don't see a date in there. They say

the
shelf life is 3 years.

Those last six numbers might mean May 15, 2003, but who knows....

david
--
"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to

You might want to change your signature quote to this one from Dennis
Kucinich:

"In our soul's Magnificent, we become conscious of the cosmos within us. We
hear the music of peace, we hear the music of cooperation, we hear music of
love. In our soul's forgetting, we become unconscious of our cosmic
birthright, blighted with disharmony, disunity, torn asunder from the stars
in a disaster ..."

todd

Old August 21st 03, 04:27 AM
Eric Anderson

Hey folks,

Here is what I have found. About a year ago a friend of mine and I --
both longtime engineers -- made a test. We both had our opinions. He
liked Gorilla glue, I liked good old yellow PVA woodworker's glue.

We set up identical tests and tested the strength. We both found that
they both had, if properly applied, nearly the same strength. We
found that the PVA was slightly stronger in our tests. And the
strength variations due to application were greater with the Gorilla
Glue. The difference was not enough to be statistically significant.
The conclusion I have come to is:

PVA is the best for normal woodworking projects that do not need
waterproof service. PVA is more forgiving in application (there is no
special surface wetting and other concerns). Polyurethane (Gorilla
Glue) can be used to attach materials that PVA cannot (metal, plastic,
mirrors, etc). Polyurethane is better than even the type II PVA for
wet applications. Gorilla Glue does not fill gaps (with any
strength). Gorilla Glue is very, very messy and you absolutely need
gloves or you will be wearing the stuff for days on your hands until
the skin it is on wears off. Like most adhesives, they each have
their place, but I think the PVA is much easier to work with and
forgiving as long as you are working within its service parameters.

Eric

"John McGaw" wrote in message ...
"Gfretwell" wrote in message
OK I tried this stuff again. I was using hard maple, I wet it down good. I
glued both sides and seated a 1x2 into a 1/4" rabit that was a "tap in"

tight
fit. This was clamped overnight. The next day a light tap with a hammer

broke
the joint with absolutely no damage to the wood. I think library paste

would
have done a better job. Where did I go wrong? I can send pictures of the

bad
joint.

Your problem is probably defined in your statements "I wet it down good" and
"'tap in' tight". Additional moisture is absolutely not needed in "normal"
conditions and only the slightest bit of moisture is needed if you live in
someplace with no humidity. I've found that wood with 7-8% moisture content
will activate the glue just fine. The joint should not be so tight as to
drive the glue out while fitting it together. There is some narrow range of
fit which will work -- too tight and you don't have enough glue to do the
job, too loose and the glue has to fill the gap and loses strength (this is
true for all glues, not just the "gorilla" variety). Try it again and DON'T
wet it at all, make the joint 'push together' tight, and see what happens
then report back. I've used this stuff in very difficult glueups in hard
maple and other hardwoods and can state without hesitation that it sticks
fantastically well when used as intended.

Old August 21st 03, 12:40 PM
Bob Bowles

Franklin divulges the code readily so you can read date in the store.

Old August 21st 03, 04:42 PM
Gfretwell

Why did you wet it?

It said to on the bottle?

The first joints I made were dry and they snapped clean too. (edge to edge) I
haven't seen any wood damage in any of the failed joints. So much for "the
joint is stronger than the wood".
BTW my white glue experiment came out exactly the same. Is this just a hard
maple problem?
Old August 21st 03, 05:01 PM
Gfretwell

I just dampen one side of the
joint and only apply glue to the other side. I believe that is what the
directions on the container calls for

"...for hardwoods like oak or maple lightly dampen both surfaces"

The first time (edge to edge joint) I wiped them with a damp rag. The joint I
pictured was misted with a spray a bottle.
Everything was cured overnight.
The only things common are the wood itself and the glue. I have a dialog going
with gorillaglue.com.
Today I am going to glue up some other types of wood with this same glue.

Old August 21st 03, 05:07 PM
Gfretwell

Makes you wonder why did you ask!

I ask because I don't know.
At this point I am wondering wheter the best answer might be to ignore the
common wisdom of having well manicured surfaces and to scuff up the wood with a
chipped tooth table saw blade where it mates. (and I just threw one of those
away)
Old August 21st 03, 05:28 PM
Leon

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
Why did you wet it?

It said to on the bottle?

The first joints I made were dry and they snapped clean too. (edge to

edge) I
haven't seen any wood damage in any of the failed joints. So much for "the
joint is stronger than the wood".
BTW my white glue experiment came out exactly the same. Is this just a

hard
maple problem?

It is an end grain to side grain problem..the way you are trying to glue the
joint. Try glues on the maple, side grain to side grain and you will
find that is not a maple or glue problem.

Old August 21st 03, 05:31 PM
Morgans

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
I just dampen one side of the
joint and only apply glue to the other side. I believe that is what the
directions on the container calls for

"...for hardwoods like oak or maple lightly dampen both surfaces"

The first time (edge to edge joint) I wiped them with a damp rag. The

joint I
pictured was misted with a spray a bottle.
Everything was cured overnight.
The only things common are the wood itself and the glue. I have a dialog

going
with gorillaglue.com.
Today I am going to glue up some other types of wood with this same glue.

Perhaps this is nothing new, but the joint has to be beyond perfect. Not a
hair (real hair) width's crack anywhere. Lots of clamp pressure, too.
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 21st 03, 06:13 PM
Alan McClure

Default Why does Gorilla glue suck? OT Dennis the Menace

todd wrote:

"D K Woods" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Aug 2003 20:41:29 GMT, Gfretwell wrote:

"We have money to blow up bridges over the Tigress and Euphrates and we
don't have money to build bridges in our major cities. We have money to
destroy the health of the Iraqi people and we don't have enough money to
repair the health of our own people in this country."
-- Rep. Dennis Kucinich

You might want to change your signature quote to this one from Dennis
Kucinich:

"In our soul's Magnificent, we become conscious of the cosmos within us. We
hear the music of peace, we hear the music of cooperation, we hear music of
love. In our soul's forgetting, we become unconscious of our cosmic
birthright, blighted with disharmony, disunity, torn asunder from the stars
in a disaster ..."

todd

Why are you two quoting Dennis the Menace for any reason?????
ARM

Undoing hide glue Robert UK diy 1 May 26th 04 11:56 AM
Glue for Sony walkman headset? John Smith UK diy 13 March 23rd 04 07:48 PM
Glue FAQ? Gfretwell Woodworking 3 August 19th 03 06:04 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM
Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 10:49 PM