DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue FAQ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/19808-glue-faq.html)

Gfretwell August 19th 03 05:00 AM

Glue FAQ?

I have my first big glue up done but in playing with the cutoff pieces I am not
very impressed with Gorilla Glue. The joints are certainly not stronger than
the wood.
Up until now I have always just used yellow carpenter glue with good success
but the wood guy said it wasn't that good with the cypress that is next.

Gfretwell August 19th 03 06:32 AM

Glue FAQ?

Most glues wilnot break on the glue line. Anything else is wood
breaking. Wonder if your cypress is rough? I can't understand why
Gorilla glue did not work.

This first project was hard maple, milled pretty smooth from Croffwood Mills. I
may not have got it wet enough. It was clamped and laid up very tight.

Gfretwell August 19th 03 06:04 PM

Glue FAQ?

What did the breaks look like ? Any sign of bubbles ?

Nope, they were very thin, clear joints. I had it clamped up well. 5 pipe
clamps in 24". I think the other poster put his finger right on it. I didn't
really get the wood wet enough. I just misted it with a spray bottle and my bet
is it didn't penetrate the wood.
The glue certainly didn't.
I guess that's why you start small.
I'm still clawing my way up the learning curve. Many thanks to all who are
trying to help me.