DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Centering a router/mortise (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/197563-centering-router-mortise.html)

damian penney April 10th 07 07:41 PM

Centering a router/mortise

So I'm trying to create a dovetail joint like the ones on these table
legs http://www.dovetailcollection.com/ca...s/image029.jpg
To do this I'm using my newly constructed mortise jig which looks a
lot like this http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...n=Custom&ID=29
but I'm having a hard time centering the cut. Is there a better way to
setup the cut other than just fiddling with it till it's dead center ?

GROVER April 10th 07 08:02 PM

Centering a router/mortise

On Apr 10, 2:41 pm, "damian penney" wrote:
So I'm trying to create a dovetail joint like the ones on these table
legshttp://www.dovetailcollection.com/catalog/console_tables_files/image0...
To do this I'm using my newly constructed mortise jig which looks a
lot like thishttp://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=29
but I'm having a hard time centering the cut. Is there a better way to
setup the cut other than just fiddling with it till it's dead center ?

Try to reverse the leg end for end and then route again. This should
plow your mortise exactly in the middle of the stock.
Joe G

[email protected] April 10th 07 09:33 PM

Centering a router/mortise

"Is there a better way to
setup the cut other than just fiddling with it till it's dead
center ?"
__________________
Maybe, see the 2 links.

1) http://patwarner.com/router_morticing.html and

2) http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...working&ID=511

damian penney April 11th 07 07:36 PM

Centering a router/mortise

On Apr 10, 1:33 pm, wrote:
"Is there a better way to
setup the cut other than just fiddling with it till it's dead
center ?"
Maybe, see the 2 links.

1)http://patwarner.com/router_morticing.htmland

2)http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...working&ID=511

Thanks Pat, that second link was a help, and I like the look of your
jig.