Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workshop Uses for Garbage Disposal?

I have a "new" garbage disposal (a cheapo Insinkerator Badger1 that I
got during a white goods pickup recently) that I don't want to install
in my home (we're on a septic, and we've been fine without one since
we moved in), and it really isn't worth the effort in trying to sell.

I've done a search on the rec for some ideas, but I was wondering if
anyone had any others. I'd especially be interested in opinions on if
it can effectively be turned into a mini lathe. I assume the motor is
a TEFC induction motor, (advertised 1/2HP), so I don't think I could
just install a "dimmer" type switch to regulate the speed.

The other ideas I saw mentioned here we

1 - Stone/glass grinder
2 - Sharpening system base

So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing
down my garbage can?

Thanks!

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

N Hurst wrote:

So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing
down my garbage can?

None.

It has an intermittent duty motor.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"N Hurst" wrote in message
oups.com...

So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing
down my garbage can?

None. I think its a waste of time. The motor is a single purpose
intermittent duty motor and certainly not a TEFC motor.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "new" garbage disposal (a cheapo Insinkerator Badger1 that I
got during a white goods pickup recently) that I don't want to install
in my home (we're on a septic, and we've been fine without one since
we moved in), and it really isn't worth the effort in trying to sell.

I've done a search on the rec for some ideas, but I was wondering if
anyone had any others. I'd especially be interested in opinions on if
it can effectively be turned into a mini lathe. I assume the motor is
a TEFC induction motor, (advertised 1/2HP), so I don't think I could
just install a "dimmer" type switch to regulate the speed.

The other ideas I saw mentioned here we

1 - Stone/glass grinder
2 - Sharpening system base

Keep in mind that other than intermittent use, most come with instructions
to not run the motor unless the water is running.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 2:26 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a "new" garbage disposal (a cheapo Insinkerator Badger1 that I
got during a white goods pickup recently) that I don't want to install
in my home (we're on a septic, and we've been fine without one since
we moved in), and it really isn't worth the effort in trying to sell.

I've done a search on the rec for some ideas, but I was wondering if
anyone had any others. I'd especially be interested in opinions on if
it can effectively be turned into a mini lathe. I assume the motor is
a TEFC induction motor, (advertised 1/2HP), so I don't think I could
just install a "dimmer" type switch to regulate the speed.

The other ideas I saw mentioned here we

1 - Stone/glass grinder
2 - Sharpening system base

Keep in mind that other than intermittent use, most come with instructions
to not run the motor unless the water is running.

Thanks, yall, for the replies. I'm still learning about all the
different kinds of motors our there. I guess I'll have to keep my eye
open for another junky table saw like the one I found and gave away a
year or so ago. Or I could save up for a couple of months and buy a
real lathe, but where's the fun in that?? g

Leon, I think they say to run water when running the disposal because
otherwise all the ground up gunk would never leave the disposal, and
just sit there and rot. I don't think it provides any service to the
motor or anything like that.

I'd check the manual, but this one didn't come with one. :-)

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" writes:
I have a "new" garbage disposal (a cheapo Insinkerator Badger1 that I

[...]
So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing
down my garbage can?

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...rgarita_m.html

although that should be for after you are *finished* in the workshop.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message

Leon, I think they say to run water when running the disposal because
otherwise all the ground up gunk would never leave the disposal, and
just sit there and rot. I don't think it provides any service to the
motor or anything like that.

Most GD's benefit from, if not require the water as a coolant for any long
term use/longevity. Just try running most models without the water flowing
for any length of time and you'll quickly see this is the case.

I routinely disable/unplug newly installed GD's in new houses because of
this very reason. Electricians are famous during trim out for firing up a
circuit without checking to see if any appliances are attached and "on" and
this is guaranteed to either fry a newly installed GD when no water is
running, or cause the thermal protection switch to trip within minutes.

While the newer GD models have thermal cutoff switches, this was not always
the case and it was easy to burn out a motor quickly with no water running.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon, Aaron Perkins wrote:
The motor can be separated from the disposal side if water made it into the
motor it would certainly short out. So I believe water is not needed to run
motor. I have yet to see a electrical motor unsealed needing water to run it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...al-372458-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Aaron Perkins wrote:
replying to Leon, Aaron Perkins wrote:
The motor can be separated from the disposal side if water made it into the
motor it would certainly short out. So I believe water is not needed to run
motor. I have yet to see a electrical motor unsealed needing water to run it.

First, you are replying to something that was posted over a decade ago.

Second, you misunderstood Leon's post. He did not say that the motor
needed water to run it, he said "most come with instructions to not run
the motor unless the water is running."

Similar to the motor in a car, it doesn't need water to run, but it sure
does like something to keep it cool, thus *keeping* it running.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 14:00:08 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Aaron Perkins wrote:
replying to Leon, Aaron Perkins wrote:
The motor can be separated from the disposal side if water made it into the
motor it would certainly short out. So I believe water is not needed to run
motor. I have yet to see a electrical motor unsealed needing water to run it.

First, you are replying to something that was posted over a decade ago.

Second, you misunderstood Leon's post. He did not say that the motor
needed water to run it, he said "most come with instructions to not run
the motor unless the water is running."

Similar to the motor in a car, it doesn't need water to run, but it sure
does like something to keep it cool, thus *keeping* it running.

Water lubes the chopping parts also

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Aaron Perkins wrote:
replying to Leon, Aaron Perkins wrote:
The motor can be separated from the disposal side if water made it into the
motor it would certainly short out. So I believe water is not needed to run
motor. I have yet to see a electrical motor unsealed needing water to run it.

First, you are replying to something that was posted over a decade ago.

Second, you misunderstood Leon's post. He did not say that the motor
needed water to run it, he said "most come with instructions to not run
the motor unless the water is running."

Similar to the motor in a car, it doesn't need water to run, but it sure
does like something to keep it cool, thus *keeping* it running.

Water lubes the chopping parts also

And washes the stuff down the drain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:14:04 AM UTC-5, Aaron Perkins wrote:
replying to Leon, Aaron Perkins wrote:
The motor can be separated from the disposal side if water made it into the
motor it would certainly short out. So I believe water is not needed to run
motor. I have yet to see a electrical motor unsealed needing water to run it.

First, you are replying to something that was posted over a decade ago.

Second, you misunderstood Leon's post. He did not say that the motor
needed water to run it, he said "most come with instructions to not run
the motor unless the water is running."

Similar to the motor in a car, it doesn't need water to run, but it sure
does like something to keep it cool, thus *keeping* it running.

Water lubes the chopping parts also

The PRIMARY reason is to keep the seal from running dry and burning
out. The second is to keep the damned thing from plugging up. Needs to
keep the crap being chewed in a "slurry" - without water it just
compacts in the outlet.