Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glass moves on coffee table

I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

As troll offspring are an abomination, I see no problem with the
glass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

I believe your question had to do with furniture, not child-rearing...

Have you tried using those thin, rubber, waffle-pattern sheets that
you lay under rugs to prevent them from slipping on a wooden floor?
It will look sub-beautiful, but can be easily removed, along with the
glass, when guests are over.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller, wrote the following at or about 3/26/2007 12:32 PM:
In article .com, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it.

So teach her not to do that.

A family is not supposed to be a democracy. It's supposed to be a benevolent
dictatorship, with the parents in charge -- and if you don't learn to control
her behavior REAL SOON, and teach her to respect and obey you and your wife,
you're going to have some MAJOR problems down the road. If, a dozen years from
now, you find yourself with a mouthy, rebellious 13-year-old, you shouldn't
wonder why. The seeds are being sown right now.

The parents are supposed to be in charge. You're not. Fix that problem first,
and the coffee table problem will take care of itself.

Amen! Not to sound cranky or anti-child (I'm not... well, not
anti-child at least) but if you teach them early that "No!" means
exactly that, no equivocation, no slack, "No means no!" you'll find that
everything else will fall into place quite easily.

Of course, it depends on you, the adult, to work. You have to stick
with it and remember NOT to use it when what you really mean is "not
right now" or "not this time."

I do so enjoy watching young parents - perhaps some that shouldn't be -
letting little Johnny or Julie act quite the a**hole because they want
their way. If I make eye contact, I'll smile and chuckle. Once in
awhile the parent will take offense and say something like "It really
isn't funny!" My response, invariably, "Oh, I know it isn't. I'm just
laughing at the thought of you dealing with that in about eight years
when he/she is 12-13 and at near fighting weight."

LOL!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 1:32 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it.

So teach her not to do that.

A family is not supposed to be a democracy. It's supposed to be a benevolent
dictatorship, with the parents in charge -- and if you don't learn to control
her behavior REAL SOON, and teach her to respect and obey you and your wife,
you're going to have some MAJOR problems down the road. If, a dozen years from
now, you find yourself with a mouthy, rebellious 13-year-old, you shouldn't
wonder why. The seeds are being sown right now.

The parents are supposed to be in charge. You're not. Fix that problem first,
and the coffee table problem will take care of itself.

Are you tasting a little worm right now, Doug? I think you just bit
off some along with that hook, line and sinker!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

a dime sized dot of silicone caulk at each corner will hold it just fine.
let sit for 24 hours without moving.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Curran Copeland" wrote:
Come on now people disciplineing a one year old is hard,

No, it's not.

and your best
efforts are going to be only so so a lot of the time.

All the more reason why those efforts need to be repeated and consistent.

Until you get the
little rug rat under control in about 25 years

If that hasn't happened by 25 **MONTHS** it's already long overdue.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Come on now people disciplineing a one year old is hard, and your best
efforts are going to be only so so a lot of the time. Until you get the
little rug rat under control in about 25 years you might try to take a disk
of SOFT rough leather (not suede) and place it next to the table, on top of
that place a disk of foam rubber. If that doesn't work try just the foam
rubber. Another trick is a ball of contact cement, let it dry completly and
then make a ball out of it and place under the glass (try all of this in a
unseen place for a couple of days to make sure it won't damage the finish).
I use wax paper to dry the cement on. Metal or plastic clips to hold the
glass on the table can also help. There is really no perfect way to hold
the glass on the table and your problem will only get worse for the next few
years.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

Thank you for you comments

MY child rearing is NOT the problem. The GLASS is the problem. If any
one young or old touches it it moves. I am more concerned about the
glass coming off the table and hurting someone. If you so much as
even put the littlest amount of pressure on it moves and not a little
bit it can move several inches.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it.

Discipline should star at an early age. It was not hard to keep our 1 year
old son from beating on the furniture. Teach him now or regret it later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When he wants to remove the glass (and the silicone) the silicone
will mar the table finish.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:45:15 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
That is not modern parenting. The government is supposed to take care of
the
kids through the public school system. It's their responsibility to take
that wild animal of yours and turn them into an upstanding democrat.

I think you hit the nail on the head for this guy. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

Thank you for you comments

MY child rearing is NOT the problem. The GLASS is the problem.

Get rid of the glass, problem solved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Turn the kid over to a dog trainer.

About 6 weeks and $1,000.00 should solve the problem.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 12:04 pm, wrote:
I bought a wooden coffee table and now have a 1 year old who loves to
beat on it. So I bought a cut glass top to protect the wood however,
the glass slides around and it is not safe. I have tried the little
plastic spacers the glass company gave me but it still moves. I have
also bought every silicone stopper of every shape and size I can find
and it still moves. I don't want to ruin the finish on the table
trying to get the glass to stay on and I don't want my daughter
beating on the table. The glass is just not safe. PLEASE help I want
to keep the glass from moving.

Thank you for you comments

MY child rearing is NOT the problem. The GLASS is the problem.

Get rid of the glass, problem solved.

Well, if the child's too young to teach, then you have a problem since
you don't wish to mar the wood finish. Two options jump out at me:

1) a small bit of that 3M material that they use for the REMOVABLE wall
hooks. Not supposed to damage the finish but...

2) When company is not present in the home, how about a pair of nylon
straps with either Velcro or nylon snap buckles beneath the table. One
centered in each dimension should keep the glass from sliding off and
keep little Johnny or Julie from being "Julienned" by the glass.

What the heck, it'll only be for a year. After all, if the child hasn't
been taught to leave it alone by then...

COFFEE TABLE J T Woodworking 3 January 13th 06 04:38 PM
Replacing Coffee Table Glass nuttie_cat Home Repair 6 January 10th 06 11:28 PM
Are glass coffee tables going out of fashion? [email protected] UK diy 24 August 2nd 05 12:28 AM
Slightly OT - Strength of glass coffee table Lee UK diy 5 February 25th 05 10:04 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM