DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/19574-porter-cable-bammer-cordless-nailer-beware.html)

David Rhoades August 12th 03 05:49 PM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

I was shopping the pawn shop for a cordless finish nailer to use on a
home project (hardwood flooring) and ran across what I thought was a
good deal on a Porter Cable CDA250. It didn't have gas, but I was
buying based on the good Porter Cable name and the visual condition of
the tool. I figured that worst case I'd have to buy some parts to
make the tool right. BTW, I'm using a Porta-Nailer for the boards, I
just need a finish nailer to do the places that the Porta-Nailer won't
fit. Please don't get into the pneumatic versus cordless argument.
I'm going to use this thing in finishing out my basement and I want
the convenience of the cordless. I use a cordless framer, finisher
and pneumatic brad nailer. Go figure.

Sorry about the rambling background. Now to the point. Not only has
Porter Cable dropped sales of this tool, they no longer stock most the
parts needed to keep it going - like the piston, for instance. I was
shocked to hear that. Now this was a bad tool design to begin with as
they went to extraordinary lengths so that they wouldn't have a
battery (the #1 complaint of most folks with the Paslode, I suppose).
You have to compress it at 20 lbs of pressure to compress the fuel in
the piston, and that was not a trade-off that people were willing to
deal with. So I understand abandoning a bad tool, but abandoning
customers stuck with such a bad tool shows that Porter Cable
management is taking the company into the mire.

On a positive note I stopped by the pawn shop - Pawn USA in
Woodbridge, VA - and they are going to swap me out with something they
have in inventory. I didn't really expect to get a full refund, and I
expected some hassle about trading straight up. I was very pleased,
and they were very apologetic and accomodating.

Anyway, if you see a deal on the Bammer that is too good to pass up,
pass it up anyway, as you can't get parts to fix the thing. I find it
hard to believe that their management did something this stupid.
Hopefully the guy in charge of the cordless tool division will get
axed or demoted.

Greg O August 13th 03 12:34 AM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

"David Rhoades" wrote in message
om...

Have you been living on a deserted island somewhere? Over a year ago Porter
Cable admitted that the bammers are crap, and quit servicing them! Every
manufacturer has made some crap from time to time. I have a PC 690 router
with the regular and plunge base, a PC 7538 router, a PC 358 VS belt
sander, and a PC 557 plate joiner, all have worked as expected with no
problems.
Also, you buy a used tool at a pawn shop, it does not work, and that is the
manufactures fault?? Count your blessings that they were willing to give you
credit!
Greg

Ramsey August 13th 03 01:54 AM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

Greg, that is the first I have heard of the Bammer being a bummer and
I read more than anyone I know. Sometimes things just get by us. By
the way, I don't live on a deserted island somewhere; I did just
finish my bachelors degree. So be a little considerate please. Plus, I
did not write the original post; I just read it.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:34:42 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

. com...

AL August 14th 03 03:34 AM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

I have to agree with Greg here. The Bammer is a known bad product. Another
example is the PC 7529 router.

Snake Plisken June 5th 21 06:45 PM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

Haha I know Im late to this party, but I just happened to come across a lot of these and wanted to look into them a bit, but I have found the OG posting to just be hysterical. Im not making fun of ya, pal, but its likened to purchasing a VCR from the local Goodwill and then being upset that Panasonic no longer sells pressure roller assemblies at KMart.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...re-472158-.htm

Leon[_7_] June 7th 21 08:01 PM

Porter Cable Bammer Cordless Nailer - BEWARE

On 6/5/2021 11:45 AM, Snake Plisken wrote:
Snip

Im not making fun of ya, pal, but its
likened to purchasing a VCR from the local Goodwill and then being upset
that Panasonic no longer sells pressure roller assemblies at KMart.

Sounds like something you did.

[email protected] June 7th 21 09:17 PM

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:01:19 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 6/5/2021 11:45 AM, Snake Plisken wrote:
Snip

I’m not making fun of ya, pal, but it’s
likened to purchasing a VCR from the local Goodwill and then being upset
that Panasonic no longer sells pressure roller assemblies at KMart.

Sounds like something you did.

Don't feed the trolls.