DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/19556-electric-sparks-generated-my-new-cordless-drill.html)

Data Man August 12th 03 06:25 AM

Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

I bought a new 18v cordless drill (craftsman) from sears, and I
happened to test it in a dark room. I found a mass of electric sparks
gernerated inside the drill every time I run it. I could see the
electric sparks through its air vents, and the obvious electirc sparks
even illuminated the nearby stuff when I put in the reverse gear, no
kidding, it looked like a small bulb was installed there.

Could anybody here please tell me if that was normal for a cordless
drill? The electirc sparks really scared me, they could make a big
problem in some circumstances.

Thanks.

CW August 12th 03 06:46 AM

Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

All DC motors spark as the brushes make and break contact. Yes, this is
normal. BTW, it doesn't have a "reverse gear". The motor reverses.
om...

Traves W. Coppock August 12th 03 07:40 AM

Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

On 11 Aug 2003 22:25:25 -0700, (Data Man)
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

I bought a new 18v cordless drill (craftsman) from sears, and I
happened to test it in a dark room. I found a mass of electric sparks
gernerated inside the drill every time I run it. I could see the
electric sparks through its air vents, and the obvious electirc sparks
even illuminated the nearby stuff when I put in the reverse gear, no
kidding, it looked like a small bulb was installed there.

Could anybody here please tell me if that was normal for a cordless
drill? The electirc sparks really scared me, they could make a big
problem in some circumstances.

Thanks.

yes, and no
excessive sparks indicate worn or improperly seated brushes...

might be a good idea to take it back.
anyone else?

Traves

Leon August 12th 03 03:28 PM

Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

It being a NEW drill, the brushes may spark less as the brushes "wear in"

Leon August 12th 03 03:29 PM

Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

This is normal for most all universal motors. A corded drill will do the
same providing you have an opening to see the brushes.