DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   off topic question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/194606-off-topic-question.html)

a34655 March 10th 07 03:02 AM

off topic question

I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

Jay Pique March 10th 07 03:10 AM

off topic question

On Mar 9, 10:02 pm, a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

I used to use Agent, but have been just going through google lately.
Not sure why, I really like agent.
JP

Lew Hodgett March 10th 07 03:34 AM

off topic question

a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

Mozilla.

No Microsoft

Lew

Robatoy March 10th 07 04:00 AM

off topic question

On Mar 9, 10:02 pm, a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

MT-Newswatcher MacOS X, but for a quick read to see what's up, I
simply Google this group in either Safari or FireFox, depending on
what's running.

Greg O March 10th 07 04:35 AM

off topic question

"a34655" wrote in message
28...
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

Xnews works great once you get familiar with it. I generally use OE, but run
Xnews some too.
Greg

J. Clarke March 10th 07 05:04 AM

off topic question

a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just
downloaded XNews to try.

I've tried quite a lot of newsreaders on both Windows and Linux and for
the moment ended up with Outlook Express with the "OE-Quotefix" add-on.
Agent works but it's not enough better to be worth the price IMO, and
has fallen victim to creeping featuritis. Most of the freeware has
enough, um, "undocumented features", to be annoying. None are perfect.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Puckdropper March 10th 07 05:09 AM

off topic question

"Greg O" wrote in
:

"a34655" wrote in message
28...
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just
downloaded XNews to try.

Xnews works great once you get familiar with it. I generally use OE,
but run Xnews some too.
Greg

I use Xnews and like it quite a bit. It works well for me, and it's
reasonably intuitive. I don't think about using the program, I think
about doing tasks with it.

Puckdropper

Bill in Detroit March 10th 07 07:33 AM

off topic question

a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

Thunderbird.

Thunderbird comes fairly close to PAN which, as far as I am concerned,
is the 'gold standard' of newsreaders. Sadly, it isn't available for
Microsoft.

OE gives me a rash.

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-4, 03/09/2007
Tested on: 3/10/2007 2:33:19 AM

J. Clarke March 10th 07 08:30 AM

off topic question

Bill in Detroit wrote:
a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just
downloaded XNews to try.

Thunderbird.

Thunderbird comes fairly close to PAN which, as far as I am concerned,
is the 'gold standard' of newsreaders. Sadly, it isn't available for
Microsoft.

It isn't? You might want to tell the developers that.
http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/

OE gives me a rash.

Bill

Peter Huebner March 10th 07 10:58 AM

off topic question

In article , a34655
@hotmail.com says...
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

I recommend Gravity.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

version 2.6 is the best in my opinion. MicroPlanet decided to discontinue
developing the project (it was a commercial product once upon a time) and
turned it loose as unsupported freeware, the original designer then went and
did one last comprehensive update on his own time which resulted in version 2.6

There is a sourceforge project that has turned out version 2.7 but they had to
drop a bunch of features and change others because of patents and copyright,
and I don't like that version as much.

Another client is Forte Agent.
Forte Agent's interface doesn't work for me: for some reason, I just can't warm
to it. But those two are arguably the two most mature newsreaders out there.

-P.

[email protected] March 10th 07 02:22 PM

off topic question

From: a34655
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

I have a feeling i'll be almost completely unique in this answer:
batimail.

Ok, That's a lie... I used batimail until about last week, now i'm using gnus.

Batmail was a client also developed at CMU to read email/usenet/local bboards
through AMS (Andrew Message System) which we used.
Batimail is a client that was developed at CMU to replace batmail when we
switched to imap based mail/usenet/local bboards.

A couple weeks ago, they decided to discontinue the usenet feed via imap,
and batimail isn't set up to handle external newsfeeds. (AFAIK)

So last week, i made the switch to gnus....
I don't like it as much as bat(i)mail... but at least i can change the
functionality easily enough. (it runs under emacs, which is really easy
to bend to your will.) I can't blow through the groups like i used to
(still learning gnus), but I'm getting used to it.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

Lew Hodgett March 10th 07 04:34 PM

off topic question

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Thunderbird comes fairly close to PAN which, as far as I am concerned,
is the 'gold standard' of newsreaders. Sadly, it isn't available for
Microsoft.

I don't understand, why use anything Microsoft?

That's why Mozilla exists, so you don't have to use Microsoft.

Lew

Larry Blanchard March 10th 07 04:50 PM

off topic question

Peter Huebner wrote:

I recommend Gravity.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

version 2.6 is the best in my opinion. MicroPlanet decided to discontinue
developing the project (it was a commercial product once upon a time) and
turned it loose as unsupported freeware, the original designer then went and
did one last comprehensive update on his own time which resulted in version

Agreed. It's the best for Windoze. I'm still looking for a good one for
Linux, I've tried a bunch and am currently using Knews but still not happy.
Maybe I'll run Gravity under Wine :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Art Greenberg March 10th 07 05:04 PM

off topic question

On 10 Mar 2007 03:02:12 GMT, a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just
downloaded XNews to try.

slrn - http://www.slrn.org

Runs on Windows and Linux.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Patriarch March 10th 07 06:12 PM

off topic question

a34655 wrote in
28:

I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just
downloaded XNews to try.

I've been using xnews for maybe 4 or 5 years. Works just fine. Others
have more 'bling', but so what? Many other folks have fancier toolkits
than mine, too.

Patriarch

Upscale March 10th 07 06:18 PM

off topic question

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Many other folks have fancier toolkits than mine, too.

Fancier tool kits that you? Bah! You're not worth talking to anymore.

Patriarch March 10th 07 06:36 PM

off topic question

"Upscale" wrote in news:465bf$45f2f667$cef88bc5$1405
@TEKSAVVY.COM:

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Many other folks have fancier toolkits than mine, too.

Fancier tool kits that you? Bah! You're not worth talking to anymore.

We never talked much before, either. ;)

Patriarch

Larry W March 11th 07 04:58 AM

off topic question

In article ,
a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

I don't know what most people use, but personally if I couldn't use trn
from a shell account I don'tknow what I'd do.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Peter Huebner March 11th 07 06:38 AM

off topic question

In article ,
says...
In article ,
a34655 wrote:
I am fairly new to this news group thing and was just wondering what
software most people use. I was using outlook express but just downloaded
XNews to try.

I don't know what most people use, but personally if I couldn't use trn
from a shell account I don'tknow what I'd do.

I never used trn, but going from using tin from a shell account on a long
distance phone call to using waffle offline was an epiphany g. You should try
it some time ;-)

-P.

Bill in Detroit March 12th 07 08:52 AM

off topic question

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Thunderbird comes fairly close to PAN which, as far as I am concerned,
is the 'gold standard' of newsreaders. Sadly, it isn't available for
Microsoft.

I don't understand, why use anything Microsoft?

That's why Mozilla exists, so you don't have to use Microsoft.

Lew

I used it for the same reason others use it ... it came on the computer.

I left it there because I wanted to give XP a fair trial. "Who knows", I
thought, "maybe it's not a runny heap of troll food anymore."

Okay. I've done that. Using Windows is still painful. It is still beta
software.

I grabbed & burned the ISOs for FC6 a couple days ago. I am also
downloading the Live CD's for FC6 and Unbuntu as I type this. I'll burn
them, reboot and play for a couple days then reboot and play with the
other for a day or two. Then I'll scrape every last byte of Microsoft
off my hard drive.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000723-0, 03/11/2007
Tested on: 3/12/2007 4:52:14 AM

Bill in Detroit March 12th 07 08:52 AM

off topic question

Larry Blanchard wrote:
Peter Huebner wrote:

I recommend Gravity.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/

version 2.6 is the best in my opinion. MicroPlanet decided to discontinue
developing the project (it was a commercial product once upon a time) and
turned it loose as unsupported freeware, the original designer then went and
did one last comprehensive update on his own time which resulted in version

Agreed. It's the best for Windoze. I'm still looking for a good one for
Linux, I've tried a bunch and am currently using Knews but still not happy.
Maybe I'll run Gravity under Wine :-).

Have you tried PAN?

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000723-0, 03/11/2007
Tested on: 3/12/2007 4:52:57 AM

Bill in Detroit March 12th 07 08:54 AM

off topic question

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Many other folks have fancier toolkits than mine, too.

Fancier tool kits that you? Bah! You're not worth talking to anymore.

We never talked much before, either. ;)

Patriarch

Silence, they say, is golden. ;-)

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000723-0, 03/11/2007
Tested on: 3/12/2007 4:54:03 AM