Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stickley - Greener Than Greene & Greene

Being one who is unable to pass up free wood, I finally got around
to cutting up maybe 25 raised panel cabinet doors to salvage the
useable wood. Now I've got a bunch of oak, mahogany and maple
which, once the profiles on the edges are ripped off, will be 1 1/4"
wide - in assorted lengths.

As if it was necessary to justify keeping them I wondered what
I could do with them. Stickley immediately came to mind. "No
wonder he used all those slats - he couldn't throw away scraps
either. Skilled labor was cheap - in the USA - back then and I
can imagine the businessman's part of his brain thinking "I can
use this stuff AND improve my Bottom Line. Slats instead of
panels are almost as strong - and this could be a nice way to
create a Product Differentiation "feature". A few sketches,
a few scaled drawings, some ROI calcs and Behold - The Stickley
Style!

It's unfortunate that the environmental movement wasn't around
then and Green wasn't something you could use in your marketing
campaign.

Stickley Furniture - made from the finest sustainable eco-friendly
hardwoods, designed to be both pleasing to the eye, nice to the
touch, created with Old World Craftsmanship
AND the least wasteful of Mother Nature's Bounty.

Stickley.
We're Greener Than Greene & Greene
Because we care about our planet.
[accoustic guitar music playing
new born sleeping peacefully in a
Stickely Baby Crib (tm)]
- fade to black as the last guitar
note resonates towards silence

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stickley.
We're Greener Than Greene & Greene
Because we care about our planet.
[accoustic guitar music playing
new born sleeping peacefully in a
Stickely Baby Crib (tm)]
- fade to black as the last guitar
note resonates towards silence

I live not far from the Stickley factory in central NY, and they do
actually have TV commercials on the local networks. No babies in
cribs yet, but both spots I've seen do have a cute little toddler in a
house full of very nice furniture, and nice slow pans across the
quartersawn figure of various pieces, with nice acoustic music in the
background. They don't say in the ad how much they care about the
planet, but other than that, your description is pretty close.
Andy