Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old bandsaw

I just picked up an old Sears and Roebuck 18" bandsaw. Seems really
ancient, I can't really date it but from the pre-Craftsman era I'm
pretty sure. It seems to need just about everything, except a motor
(equipped with a 1/2 hp dayton, doesn't look too old).

Anyway, it needs new tires and bearings too I think but I can't get
the old wheel off. There is a single screw which comes off just fine
but the bearing it's holding won't budge after that. Is there some
trick to getting this off? The bearings also don't seem to be sealed,
there is a little metal plug that looks to be for applying grease.
Should I replace the bearing with sealed ones(supposing I do get them
off)?

Also, are there any good suppliers for the big green and red push
button on/off switches? I'm trying to find one in Grainger but their
catalog is hard to navigate.

Any other advice on refurbishing this old beast would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Mar 5, 7:30 pm, "mattblack" wrote:
[...]

You may need a puller. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also, are there any good suppliers for the big green and red push
button on/off switches? I'm trying to find one in Grainger but their
catalog is hard to navigate.

Grizzly has some large power tool switches:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=275010

I agree that Grainger's online catalog is a pain - I requested one of
their paper catalogs, and find that much easier to navigate. (Be
warned - it's a monster catalog, which could easily replace the brick
you use for a shop doorstop!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt...

it would be helpful if you could snap a few pictures of the beast and
upload them somewhere and let us know where.
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking is commonly used around here, and
www.flickr.com is free and easily accessible.

I have an old sears 18" bandsaw. mine is branded craftsman and was
manufactured by parks. it's a beast. if yours is like mine, it's well
worth restoring, and a manual and parts list are available at owwm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mattblack" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Mat if it is a Dayton send an e-mail to them with all the information and
they will send you a parts breakdown.
I had to do that with a floor model drill press. They are very reso\ponsive.

Virgle

TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 12:17 AM
new bandsaw? HELP fsteddie Woodworking 13 November 18th 05 05:48 AM
A Bandsaw Don Woodworking 13 March 5th 05 04:15 PM
Bandsaw triad Woodworking 1 September 4th 04 06:52 PM
14" bandsaw Grant Woodworking 73 April 23rd 04 02:22 PM