Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Riser block for Delta 28-276

I have a Delta 28-276 bandsaw, which I'm hoping to do a little (read
enough to pay for the cost of throwing away 1/2" of planer shavings on
about 40 bf of maple) re-sawing. Of course, as everyone else who has
ambitiously looked to do so with a 14" saw, the limitation of the 6"
is frustrating. So, I was planning on getting a riser block and a
105" blade to do some 9" maple re-sawing. But, in looking at the
Delta riser block kit, it's almost $120. I see the Jet/Powermatic and
other generic ones for around half of that. Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

danbo

Posted to rec.woodworking

"danbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Delta 28-276 bandsaw, which I'm hoping to do a little (read
enough to pay for the cost of throwing away 1/2" of planer shavings on
about 40 bf of maple) re-sawing. Of course, as everyone else who has
ambitiously looked to do so with a 14" saw, the limitation of the 6"
is frustrating. So, I was planning on getting a riser block and a
105" blade to do some 9" maple re-sawing. But, in looking at the
Delta riser block kit, it's almost $120. I see the Jet/Powermatic and
other generic ones for around half of that. Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

Can't answer your question, but before you do anything, have you tried
resawing 6" maple? Figure 9" will be twice as difficult. Still want to do
it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello danbo,
Following in Toller's footsteps it would be wise to attempt sawing the
6 inch material first. I added a riser to my Delta 14 inch and
noticed how underpowered it was with the original motor (i/2 hp, about
1989 vintage)
Yours has a 3/4 hp which should be an improvement but I did not get
satisfactory results until I added a 1.5 hp.
Unless you plan future resawing endeavors it may be better to hire
someone to do the cutting for you- I'm certain it would cost a lot
less for someone to resaw this if you had to pay to get it done.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought I read that the Grizzly riser kit can work with the Delta
saws. Resawing 6 inches of oak is plenty slow on my Delta. That is all
the wider I want or need to resaw for my current project so the stock
setup works fine.

On 26 Feb 2007 20:58:28 -0800, "danbo"
wrote:

I have a Delta 28-276 bandsaw, which I'm hoping to do a little (read
enough to pay for the cost of throwing away 1/2" of planer shavings on
about 40 bf of maple) re-sawing. Of course, as everyone else who has
ambitiously looked to do so with a 14" saw, the limitation of the 6"
is frustrating. So, I was planning on getting a riser block and a
105" blade to do some 9" maple re-sawing. But, in looking at the
Delta riser block kit, it's almost $120. I see the Jet/Powermatic and
other generic ones for around half of that. Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

danbo

Posted to rec.woodworking

The lack of power is something that's kept me second guessing, and I
don't think I'm going to be getting into a lot of resawing at this
time, so now I'm more confused than ever :-(

I guess I could resaw 5 inch boards and then glue them up - they're
for drawer sides/backs, but I've never edge glued anything less than
3/4" - can it be done with 1/2 boards - with or without biscuits?
Seems like they'd be mighty prone to buckle, unless I sandwich them,
or ??

- danbo

wrote:

I have a Delta 28-276 bandsaw, which I'm hoping to do a little (read
enough to pay for the cost of throwing away 1/2" of planer shavings on
about 40 bf of maple) re-sawing. Of course, as everyone else who has
ambitiously looked to do so with a 14" saw, the limitation of the 6"
is frustrating. So, I was planning on getting a riser block and a
105" blade to do some 9" maple re-sawing. But, in looking at the
Delta riser block kit, it's almost $120. I see the Jet/Powermatic and
other generic ones for around half of that. Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

danbo- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

You must be making some pretty big drawers. I would glue
the 3/4" boards up and plane them to size. I know it's
a little wasteful, but sometimes it's the only way to get
solid stock that wide. You can glue up 1/2" stock but you
want that to be your finished size, so you need to start
larger and plane down to the size you want.

I make most of my drawers from plywood with solid wood
fronts.

danbo wrote:

The lack of power is something that's kept me second guessing, and I
don't think I'm going to be getting into a lot of resawing at this
time, so now I'm more confused than ever :-(

I guess I could resaw 5 inch boards and then glue them up - they're
for drawer sides/backs, but I've never edge glued anything less than
3/4" - can it be done with 1/2 boards - with or without biscuits?
Seems like they'd be mighty prone to buckle, unless I sandwich them,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Feb 2007 12:21:40 -0800, "danbo"
wrote:

The lack of power is something that's kept me second guessing, and I
don't think I'm going to be getting into a lot of resawing at this
time, so now I'm more confused than ever :-(

I guess I could resaw 5 inch boards and then glue them up - they're
for drawer sides/backs, but I've never edge glued anything less than
3/4" - can it be done with 1/2 boards - with or without biscuits?
Seems like they'd be mighty prone to buckle, unless I sandwich them,
or ??

I've edge glued 1/4" boards. 1/2" won't be much different than 3/4"

Keep in mind though that if you take 1/4" off one side of a 3/4" board
it's going to cup on you unless it has even moisture content all the
way through the board.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote in
:

snip
Keep in mind though that if you take 1/4" off one side of a 3/4" board
it's going to cup on you unless it has even moisture content all the
way through the board.

-Leuf

It isn't just the moisture content. Growth rings, grain patterns, etc.,
all contribute. And wider = worse for this application.

Baltic birch plywood, or similar. I buy it prefinished, in 8' lengths, at
the pro plywood supplier, for drawer stock. Good stuff!

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Power is a problem, but if you are patient and don't force the material
a 14" Delta can resaw 12' cherry or oak. I do it often.

The results are worth it when you have a great piece of material!

Jim
ups.com...

wrote:

I have a Delta 28-276 bandsaw, which I'm hoping to do a little (read
enough to pay for the cost of throwing away 1/2" of planer shavings on
about 40 bf of maple) re-sawing. Of course, as everyone else who has
ambitiously looked to do so with a 14" saw, the limitation of the 6"
is frustrating. So, I was planning on getting a riser block and a
105" blade to do some 9" maple re-sawing. But, in looking at the
Delta riser block kit, it's almost $120. I see the Jet/Powermatic and
other generic ones for around half of that. Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

danbo- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The lack of power is something that's kept me second guessing, and I
don't think I'm going to be getting into a lot of resawing at this
time, so now I'm more confused than ever :-(

I guess I could resaw 5 inch boards and then glue them up - they're
for drawer sides/backs, but I've never edge glued anything less than
3/4" - can it be done with 1/2 boards - with or without biscuits?
Seems like they'd be mighty prone to buckle, unless I sandwich them,
or ??

I've edge glued 1/4" boards. 1/2" won't be much different than 3/4"

Keep in mind though that if you take 1/4" off one side of a 3/4" board
it's going to cup on you unless it has even moisture content all the
way through the board.

-Leuf

I resawed some oak just for fun. I got three pices about 1/4" after a
little clean up in the planer. So far with no gluing they seem to be
stable. I have ripped oak lumber that bowed pretty bad though. It is
kind of fun resawing. I put a 4 inch port on my bottom cover attached
to my Jet dust collector. That seems to keep dust out of my face.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Currently, the Jet one is
on sale close to me and I was wondering if (since they all look very
similar) it would fit the Delta or not? If anyone has any experience/
advice using a non-Delta riser with the Delta saw, I'd appreciate it.

Besides the riser, there is a return blade guard , a longer upper
guide rod/bar/pipe and a longer upper guide bar blade cover. While
the riser may very well fit (using some calcutated adjusting) the
remaining stuff may not.

If you can, open the box of parts at the store and measure the return
blade guard mountings and the size/type of upper guide bar. Or check
to make sure you can return the kit, then buy it, lay it all out in
front of the saw and make your decision to try and fit it on.

Sure would look goofy if the return blade guard was exposing the blade
and you just barely managed to brush up against it even when not
running the saw.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, thanks for all the input. After reading all the responses, I
think I'll delay my purchase of a setup for resawing, save some of my
maple stock and go with the baltic birch plywood for the drawers.
Hopefully, it will cost me less than the resawing setup would.

- danbo

On Feb 27, 8:44 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey danbo,
Just curious, where do you live? Are there any woodworking clubs-
turners included - near you? Any decent large scale dealler with
resawing capabilities?

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to danbo, Raul Caro wrote:
Danbo, I have made large drawers and have always used 1/2" baltic birch, it
works great and is much more stable that sliced pcs. from solid stock. Solid
stock tends to warp and crack, which is the last thing you want with drawers.
Also, I use a solid front in whatever wood type I want usually maple or walnut
in 3/4" stock. good luck.... Raul

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...76-367522-.htm