Patrick Fischer

Default "and you want it to do what?!"

Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

Pat..
patrickdfischer_at_att.net

Turkish

try the following link:

http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.asp

go to the second listing... for robot motor $10 well spent..

FWIW..... BG Micro has been this "gadget guy's" favorite place for
several years.... You will need a "wall wart" to power the robot
motor, but they can be had for $2-3...

Rotsa Ruck..

Royce

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:00:04 GMT, "Patrick Fischer"
wrote:

Another item of info: This thing is BRONZE. Probably heavy!!

pat..

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:57:29 GMT, "Patrick Fischer"
wrote:

Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN,

You never build this sort of thing - buy it ready-made instead. Find
the right sort of scrapyard (big industrial machinery, scrap aircraft,
whatever), and start looking for something that's already a pedestal,
it just doesn't know it yet. Then you dress it with a casing over it.

Friend of mine has a swivel chair made from an ejector seat. The
swivel for that is an old front hub from a Saab (front wheel drive is
easier).

The advantage of a car hub is that you need to make a fairly tall
pedestal and have it stable. This either needs a long axle with a
bearing at top and bottom, or something very rigid mounted low down.
The wheel hub is easy and cheap to get, and rigid enough. You'll also
need plenty of ballast to stop it being knocked over, and the hub
would help there.

To power it, I'd use a chain drive, with a motor mounted off to one
side. Large chain sprockets with hollow centres come from pushbikes,
small sprockets are cheaply bought, with centres to fit standard motor
shafts. Chain pitch is pretty standard.

The motors I'd use (as I have them to hand already) are geared
synchronous motors that used to be in a coffee vending machine. One is
driving the bellows in the organ doorbell project:
http://codesmiths.com/shed/materials...organpipes.htm

Rick

Good morning Pat,

Sounds like an interesting problem. Here's my take:

Using a lazy susan bearing (also used for television swivels) (1) and an
appropriately sized disk to hold the artwork. Rotation provided by a small
gearhead motor (2) connected to the center of the upper disk (install a
tee-nut from the top, and connect to the turntable with a piece of
all-thread and a jam nut. File a flat on the bottom end of the all-thread
and use a shaft coupling to connect to the gearmotor. Provide ventilation
for the gearmotor (might even put in a small fan if temperature rises too
much). Oh ... you'll need to drill a small hole for the all-thread to rise
through the top of the base. Gearmotor mounts to shelf inside base, if you
leave the back open you can gain access and eliminate the cooling fan idea
(may want to make a face frame to help keep things rigid). Fun part, you can
probably make the entire thing from solid-surface (Corian) countertop
material to compliment the artwork if you don't want to work with wood. Of
course, you can always make the base from plywood and apply the veneer of
your choice.

HTH

Rick

(1) Available at Woodcraft, Rocklers and other mail order suppliers as well
as some of your local woodworking stores
(2) Available from various electronics surplus houses such as BG Micro (as
someone else already reported), All Electronics, Electronics Goldmine,
American Science and Surplus, and so forth. You'll probably want a 110 VAC
gearmotor (which will drop the cost because the robotics crowd won't bother
with them).

"Patrick Fischer" wrote
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric

motor.

Bob Schmall

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric

motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

Paddy:
Two words: small block Chevy.

Bob
Smart-Ass Intellectual

hex

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message ...
Another item of info: This thing is BRONZE. Probably heavy!!

pat..

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric

motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

There are many ways to make something go round and round... I suspect
the tricky part will be finding something QUIET that does the job.
Presumably a motor will be involved mounting it on a cushion of some
sort might be useful so your pedestal doesn't become one big sounding
board. Of course, you could in theory figure out the resonant
frequencies of the pedestal and make them mis-match with the motor.

Wish I could have been of help in a more concrete fashion ....

hex
-30-
David O

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message ...
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

Pat..
patrickdfischer_at_att.net

You can buy "Lazy Susan" hardware...ya know, the hardware used to
support a manually turning center piece for your dinning room table,
so the family can get to the food without reaching.

Attach the motor to the base. This would facilitate the use of 2
separate pieces for the pedestal...base and turning platform.

I would imagine the pedestal could be any shape using this approach

....do
Ernie Jurick

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric

motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Convince her that it would be hopelessly tacky. It would look like a
department store window. (In which museums do the statues rotate?)
-- Ernie

Dan Dresner

Default Scary Sharp revisited

I just finished sharpening my first chisel with Steve Lamantia's Scary Sharp
method and now stand before in stunned testimony: this technique is
life-altering! I now have an ordinary, off-the-shelf bench chisel (Stanley,
for Pete's sake) that is at least as sharp as any razor blade I've ever
used. It's going to take a month for me to regrow the hairs on my arm after
"testing" the edge over and over again. I'm not kidding, folks: it slices
them off just by pressing the edge - lightly! - against the base of *a*
hair.

(I know, I know - I need to get a better life, but still....)

The only change to the system that I made was to add a final polishing with
crocus paper, which seemed to improve the sharpness somewhat over the
2000-grit level.

DanD

For anyone who doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about, here it is:

Condensed Version of How to sharpen a plane blade with sandpaper.

Mercilessly butchered into a Condensed "How to" Version by J. Gunterman from
the Original by the Steve Lamantia.

To lap the back behind the cutting bevel:

Use a very light coatings of 3M "77" spray adhesive to temporarily glue
small 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" rectangular pieces of sandpaper along the edge of a
sheet of 1/4" plate-glass.

The paper to use is Aluminum Oxide in grits 50, 80, and 100, and Silicon
Carbide (wet-or-dry to you lay people) in grits of 150, 180, 220, 320, 400,
600, 1200, and 2000. The plate glass should be placed with its edge flush to
the edge of the workbench. Grits can be skipped, if desired, but more time
on each grit will then be required to fully remove the scratches from the
previous grit. Using the gradual progression as listed, however, will
require only about a minute or so with each grit."

Lap the end one inch of the back of the iron on each grit in turn. You could
use it wet or dry.

About every ten seconds or so, stop and brush off the sandpaper with a whisk
broom and wipe the blade off on your shirt.

About ten minutes after starting, you should have gone from 50 grit on up to
2000, and there will be a mirror finish on the back of that iron the likes
of which must be seen.

Then jig the blade in a Veritas honing jig or go it by hand--

Clamp the blade down in the Veritas blade-holder device, taking care to have
the bevel resting on the glass perfectly along both edges. Adjust the
microbevel cam on the jig up to its full two-degree microbevel setting --
and hone away on the 2000-grit

Flip the blade over on the sandpaper several times, hone and lap, hone and
lap, each time gentler and gentler, to remove the little bit of wire edge

The resulting little thin secondary bevel should be quite shiny by this
time.

Remove the blade from the jig, and perform the "shave some arm hairs off"
test, or the sharpness test of your own choice.

Of course, the ultimate test of a plane iron's sharpness is what it does on
wood.

When it is all done, peel the sandpaper from the glass and throw it away.
Then, scrape the little bit of residual adhesive from the glass with a razor
blade, a quick wipedown with acetone on a piece of paper towel, and the
cleanup is done in a minute.

No oil, no water, no mess, no glaze or flatness problems to worry about, and
a cutting edge that is Scary-Sharp (TM).

Silvan

Patrick Fischer wrote:

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

Hmmm. I don't know how practical it would be, but I'm visualizing a
planetary gear from out of an automatic transmission with the mating gear
somehow mounted on the end of a motor. You might need to scrounge up some
more gears in order to get enough reduction to have enough power to move
the statue, and to get it slow enough that the statue doesn't fly off.

I've never done anything with gears, so I can't make any specific
suggestions. Sounds like a fun project though. I've always wanted to make
something with gears.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17035 Approximate word count: 511050

Lee Gordon

I'm not sure how heavy the piece is that needs to be rotated but I was
thinking an old belt-drive record player with the platters reversed might do
the trick. Instead of rotating at 33 or 45 rpm, gearing it to turn at 1 or
2 rpm might provide enough power to work.

Lee

Patrick Fischer

OK Folks, I'm not feeling the "love". Suggesting that she forget the
rotation factor seems wonderful but what if she doesn't?!
Patient guy that I am, I'll allow you all some more time to think on this...
Pat..

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric

motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

Pat..
patrickdfischer_at_att.net

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Patrick Fischer wrote:
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind
of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric motor.
(SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal
would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)

Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure
will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic
chuckles?

A "lazy-susan" type bearing, a "ring gear", and a small, relatively low-
RPM motor turning a worm gear to drive it.

It's really _not_ very difficult to do.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:23:45 GMT, "CW"
wrote:

Yea, chain drive. You can find it in the dark. Just fallow the noise.

Chains are pretty quiet at low speeds. They get noisy when they run
fast and the chain starts to slap back and forth.

If you're worried about noise, then use a flat toothed belt. The drive
sprocket is easy to get (many of my motors came from old photocopiers,
and they nearly all have one already). For low torques, you don;t
need to tooth the large diameter pulley, just turn a smooth wooden
surface and use friction.

Robert Bonomi

See also: http://www.herbach.com

Nebraska Surplus http://www.surplussales.com is also worth a visit.

wrote:

Another item of info: This thing is BRONZE. Probably heavy!!

pat..

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind

Chazc

panty play to your gear

Bill Hodgson

"Dan Dresner" wrote in message news:ZwzYa.91128$o%2.40784@sccrnsc02...
[...]

snip
I have a question about sharpening in general. I have used the scary
sharp method with amazing results on cheap chisels as well as my plane
irons. What I need to know is if I'm doing it correctly. My question
is: Do you both push the blade down the paper as well as pull it
back, or do you only move the blade in one direction (eg push the
blade down the paper)? I know that when I sharpen my kitchen knives
that I only hone in one direction, but wanted to verify the same
information for chisels and irons.

TIA
Bill

Lawrence Wasserman

I'm thinking a lazy susan bearing and a clockwork type motor, say from
an old microwave oven turntable.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

George SA

Snip
I just finished sharpening my first chisel with Steve Lamantia's Scary Sharp
method and now stand before in stunned testimony: this technique is
life-altering!

Scary Sharp has given me back the joys of using my hand planes I
inherited from my dad. It is realy nice to be able to take a paer thin
shaving of a piece of wood with a scary sharpened hand plane.

Regards George SA
Patrick Fischer

Turk and Robert: These are great sites! Thanks. I'm still sifting through
the responses but ideas are beginning...Those motors are cheap enough I
could buy several and experiment....

"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns. wrote in message

wrote:

Another item of info: This thing is BRONZE. Probably heavy!!

pat..

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Ok, Need some help.
Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall.

(Haven't
seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be

kind

CW

Been there lately? They don't have much anymore.
"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Andy,
I'm thinking that a car hub might be a bit large.. but you do give me an
idea: I'm only about 25 miles from the Boeing Surplus Store. They GOTTA

have
something that doesn't know its a pedestal!

Wood Butcher

Has anybody mentioned a BBQ spit motor yet?
They turn slow, have gobs of torque, and are real
cheap at resale stores like Goodwill.

Art

wrote:

[...]

Silvan

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In the attic? h*ll no! mine's still connected to the stereo.

Not mentioned because the typical turntable design:
(a) is not capable of supporting significant weight,
(b) rotates _at_least_ TEN TIMES too fast, and is not easily
slowed down.

(c) wouldn't have enough power to spin anything heavy anyway, and the
20-year-old belt would break.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17106 Approximate word count: 513180

Norman D. Crow

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
Has anybody mentioned a BBQ spit motor yet?
They turn slow, have gobs of torque, and are real
cheap at resale stores like Goodwill.

Why didn't I think of that?
THUD! THUD! THUD!(Head hitting keyboard)
Nahmie

Mike Patterson

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:00:07 GMT, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
Has anybody mentioned a BBQ spit motor yet?
They turn slow, have gobs of torque, and are real
cheap at resale stores like Goodwill.

Why didn't I think of that?
THUD! THUD! THUD!(Head hitting keyboard)
Nahmie

I use one to spin a 5-gallon bucket to polish pistol brass cases, it
works fine, but it's LOUD. I think it wouldn't be conducive to
meditation of artistic interpretation...unless the viewer can
appreciate the contrast of the industrial audio component of the
display with the visual sensuousness, or something like that.

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Tim Douglass

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:32:15 GMT, "Bob Schmall"
wrote:

Paddy:
Two words: small block Chevy.

Bob
Smart-Ass Intellectual

Dear Mr. Intellectual,

How many words?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
Dear Mr. Intellectual,

How many words?

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and
those that cannot.

Silvan

Wood Butcher wrote:

Muffling the noise could be part of the design criteria for the base.

Or not. If you want something that lame in your living room in the first
place, maybe it *should* be that much more obnoxious.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17114 Approximate word count: 513420

Jeff Gorman

"Bill Hodgson" wrote

: I have a question about sharpening in general. I have used the scary
: sharp method with amazing results on cheap chisels as well as my plane
: irons. What I need to know is if I'm doing it correctly. My question
: is: Do you both push the blade down the paper as well as pull it
: back, or do you only move the blade in one direction (eg push the
: blade down the paper)?

A disadvantage of using coated abrasives for this kind of sharpening is that
the blade will tend to plane the grains from the paper, if not actually cut
through it.

I have seen one technique recommended by a well-known writer who moves the
blade in a direction parallel to the edge, presumably to reduce this effect.

However there is some information that goes against pressure on the forward
stoke. This can be seen on my web site. Please see 'Sharpening Notes' -
'Some Scientific Light on Sharpening Technique'.

For most practical purposes, I reckon that abrading on a hard surface
(oilstone, diamond stone or glass) wins hands-down. You can do the natural
thing and push on the forward stroke.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email address is username@ISP

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:09:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and
those that cannot.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.