Old August 10th 03, 05:09 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

Default "and you want it to do what?!"

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
Dear Mr. Intellectual,

How many words?

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and
those that cannot.

Old August 10th 03, 06:59 AM
Silvan

Wood Butcher wrote:

Muffling the noise could be part of the design criteria for the base.

Or not. If you want something that lame in your living room in the first
place, maybe it *should* be that much more obnoxious.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17114 Approximate word count: 513420

Old August 10th 03, 08:35 AM
Jeff Gorman

Default Scary Sharp revisited

"Bill Hodgson" wrote

: I have a question about sharpening in general. I have used the scary
: sharp method with amazing results on cheap chisels as well as my plane
: irons. What I need to know is if I'm doing it correctly. My question
: is: Do you both push the blade down the paper as well as pull it
: back, or do you only move the blade in one direction (eg push the
: blade down the paper)?

A disadvantage of using coated abrasives for this kind of sharpening is that
the blade will tend to plane the grains from the paper, if not actually cut
through it.

I have seen one technique recommended by a well-known writer who moves the
blade in a direction parallel to the edge, presumably to reduce this effect.

However there is some information that goes against pressure on the forward
stoke. This can be seen on my web site. Please see 'Sharpening Notes' -
'Some Scientific Light on Sharpening Technique'.

For most practical purposes, I reckon that abrading on a hard surface
(oilstone, diamond stone or glass) wins hands-down. You can do the natural
thing and push on the forward stroke.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email address is [email protected]

Old August 10th 03, 03:43 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:09:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and
those that cannot.

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Old August 10th 03, 10:29 PM
Bob Schmall

Tim:
"Intellectual" is N/A here, but "smart ass" applies.

Bob

news