DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/192208-corner-chisel-routed-hinge-mortises.html)

Jay Pique February 14th 07 12:46 AM

Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises

Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring up
hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for that
matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking that one
might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?

JP

Morris Dovey February 14th 07 12:55 AM

Jay Pique wrote:

| Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring
| up hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for
| that matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking that
| one might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?

I have the LV model; but haven't used it for hinge mortises. I like it
but would like it a lot better if the magnets were about twice as
strong.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

DanG February 14th 07 03:22 AM

Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises

Are you asking if they are valuable tools?

I can't imagine hanging doors without one. I use the Porter Cable
model
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-42234-Corner-Chisel/dp/B0000224L6
and I have not experience with the magnetic thing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

ups.com...

Mike O. February 14th 07 04:18 AM

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:22:46 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I can't imagine hanging doors without one. I use the Porter Cable
model
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-42234-Corner-Chisel/dp/B0000224L6

I use the same one and keep it with the butt pocket jig.
I wish they had something similar for round corners. I sometimes have
to hand cut the large keeper for Schlage dead bolts (on already
installed doors) and we always seem to get them with the round
corners.

Mike O.

George February 14th 07 12:35 PM

Corner Chisel for routed hinge mortises

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring up
hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for that
matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking that one
might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?

Dunno, imagine it might be about the same as any other trim job, as good as
your placement of the tool.

I just use a bench knife like the one midpage here.
http://www.carvingpatterns.com/carvingtools1.htm

For small hinges, one, two and underneath too, though where the reach is
insufficient to do so, two cuts and a pare with a chisel works.

Jay Pique February 16th 07 01:45 AM

On Feb 13, 7:55 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

| Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring
| up hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for
| that matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking that
| one might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?

I have the LV model; but haven't used it for hinge mortises. I like it
but would like it a lot better if the magnets were about twice as
strong.

Thanks, Morris. I saw the PC model Dan G. uses, which doesn't rely on
magnets. I think I'll go with that one. What would be the benefit of
having magnets hold the chisel, versus the PC style? Anyone know?
JP

Jay Pique February 16th 07 02:04 AM

Jay Pique wrote:

| Anyone here use the Lee Valley magneticcornerchisel for squaring
| up hinge mortises that you've routed? Or anycornerchisel, for
| that matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking that
| one might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?

I have the LV model; but haven't used it for hinge mortises. I like it
but would like it a lot better if the magnets were about twice as
strong.

Thanks, Morris. I saw the PC model Dan G. uses, which doesn't rely on
magnets. I think I'll go with that one. What would be the benefit of
having magnets hold the chisel, versus the PC style? Anyone know?
JP

Grizzly has what appears to be the same thing for $5.95, versus $17
for the PC.
JP

Morris Dovey February 16th 07 02:16 AM

Jay Pique wrote:
| On Feb 13, 7:55 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|| Jay Pique wrote:
||| Anyone here use the Lee Valley magnetic corner chisel for squaring
||| up hinge mortises that you've routed? Or any corner chisel, for
||| that matter. I was cleaning up a bunch today and was thinking
||| that one might be quicker - and cleaner. Any thoughts?
|| I have the LV model; but haven't used it for hinge mortises. I
|| like it but would like it a lot better if the magnets were about
|| twice as strong.
|
| Thanks, Morris. I saw the PC model Dan G. uses, which doesn't rely
| on magnets. I think I'll go with that one. What would be the
| benefit of having magnets hold the chisel, versus the PC style?
| Anyone know?

Update: Thought about this thread while building solar panels (with
convoluted dados and straight mortises) this afternoon - as I pared
dado corners with a 30+YO $3 Stanley chisel because that was the
easiest and quickest way to get the job done well. :-)

I probably should have mentioned before that a straight chisel is a
lot easier to sharpen than (probably) any corner chisel...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar