Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Pat is offline

Default Recessed USB HUB

Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into
a desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I
found Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so
don't work for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2007-01-29 19:45:22 -0600, Pat said:

Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into
a desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I
found Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so
don't work for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Try: http://www.mockett.com

They seem to have alot of variety in data/power hubs.

Or look at the "USB Bug Connector" at Rockler. It's more like a fixed
extension for a sinlge USB port though....

Tim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat writes:
I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into
a desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I
found Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so
don't work for me.

A thought...

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Assm...s/AK%20669.jpg

You could probably figure out how to sandwitch the female end (the one
with the flanges) in a wooden recess or two-part wooden form, and run
the male end back to any old hub. The female end flange is about 3/8
deep.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:45:22 -0800, Pat wrote:

Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into
a desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I
found Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so
don't work for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

How about just using keystone inserts--for USB inserts here's one
source http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/keystone.html#fw.

Note that if you're up to the workmanship required there's no reason
you can't make your own panels to hold the inserts--you'll need to get
and cut up one of the plastic ones to get the dimensions and design
details. Or you could just cut a hole the right size in a thin piece
of stock and then bond the insert in place.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat" wrote in message
Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into a
desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I found
Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so don't work
for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I built
a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became obsolete many
years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology advances. I see
wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the very near future.
Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are already offered as
wireless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
. net:

*snip*

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I
built a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became
obsolete many years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology
advances. I see wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the
very near future. Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are
already offered as wireless.

If you want to build things into the desk anyway, consider making them
modular enough you can remove and replace them when you're ready to
upgrade your system. Doing this in the design stage saves a lot of wood
and hacking later. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Yes, this is correct. Already there is USB2, miniature USB, also powered USB
splitters work for more equipment than non-powered USB splitters. Make it
up-datable.

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Leon" wrote in
. net:

*snip*

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I
built a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became
obsolete many years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology
advances. I see wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the
very near future. Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are
already offered as wireless.

If you want to build things into the desk anyway, consider making them
modular enough you can remove and replace them when you're ready to
upgrade your system. Doing this in the design stage saves a lot of wood
and hacking later. ;-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 12:07 pm, "EXT" wrote:
Yes, this is correct. Already there is USB2, miniature USB, also powered USB
splitters work for more equipment than non-powered USB splitters. Make it
up-datable.

"Puckdropper" wrote in w.readfreenews.net...

"Leon" wrote in
.net:

*snip*

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I
built a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became
obsolete many years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology
advances. I see wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the
very near future. Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are
already offered as wireless.

If you want to build things into the desk anyway, consider making them
modular enough you can remove and replace them when you're ready to
upgrade your system. Doing this in the design stage saves a lot of wood
and hacking later. ;-)

Puckdropper

Not to mention wireless USB is also very near. There is already
wireless power in the offing. When you think about it pretty soon
desks will be obsolete.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Jan 2007 09:23:42 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

On Jan 30, 12:07 pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

I've been hearing _that_ one for more than 30 years. And I have more
crap on my desk now than I did then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

"Pat" wrote in message
Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into a
desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I found
Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so don't work
for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I built
a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became obsolete many
years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology advances. I see
wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the very near future.
Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are already offered as
wireless.

Yep. Last Intel Developers Forum (december) wireless USB was one of the
main new things on the show floor, at 480 mbits/sec, too.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 12:23 pm, "jtpr" wrote:

Not to mention wireless USB is also very near. There is already
wireless power in the offing. When you think about it pretty soon
desks will be obsolete.

Wireless Power?

Has Nicolai Tesla been reincarnated?

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 5:32 pm, Markem wrote:
On 30 Jan 2007 13:02:54 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 30, 12:23 pm, "jtpr" wrote:

Not to mention wireless USB is also very near. There is already
wireless power in the offing. When you think about it pretty soon
desks will be obsolete.

Wireless Power?

Inductive coupling (within a reasonable distance like a table top) to
charge battery operated devices such as Cell Phones, Ipods, PDAs, ect.
is being talked about as one next best tech toys in the near future.
Now if all I have to do to recharge my cordless tools is set them on
that there bench over there, rather than change the battery pack I
could go for that.

Yeah but I'd be worried about inductively coupling to the wrong
device like somebody's pacemaker.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:40:13 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

"Leon" writes:

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

The trouble with wireless is that anything wireless still needs power,
so either you have to put batteries in it, or keep it on a charger, or
run a cord to it anyway. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the
machine that serves as an entertainment center (and before anybody
says "TV on a monitor" it's a 14 foot monitor), and they're pains in
the butt--I wouldn't want such on a desktop machine.

Wireless USB is no doubt going to be useful for some things, but I
don't see it replacing wired for everything.

In any case, I don't see how having wired USB and Firewire jacks has
any effect on wireless--if you don't need them then you just don't use
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon wrote:
...snipped...
You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I built
a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became obsolete many
years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology advances. I see
wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the very near future.
Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are already offered as
wireless.

That is something to think about. The next generation USB spec is for
a wireless connection.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I have to ask. What is that anoying little thing you always attach to your
posts? Is it supposed to mean something?

"Markem" wrote in message
news

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 03:50:39 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I have to ask. What is that anoying little thing you always attach to your
posts? Is it supposed to mean something?

"Markem" wrote in message
news

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Being a numbers person if you reduce (sixoneeight) to simple terms it
equals 618 now I use that in my sig as help in solving the spam
spoiler in my email address.

I changed to the other sig but the other is default in Agent.

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:14 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

Hi.

I am finishing a desk project and want to add a USB hub recessed into a
desk. I need just USB or USB and firewire connectors not power. I found
Furnlites units but these have power.. and are not recessed so don't work
for me.

Anybody seen anything like this? Or know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to rethink building particular features into the desk. I built
a computer desk 20 years ago and the special features became obsolete many
years ago. USB and Firewire may not last as technology advances. I see
wireless for everything being the "IN" thing in the very near future.
Internet routers, printers, keyboards, and mice are already offered as
wireless.

Hello,
I agree with Leon's approach of not getting too specific. It reminds
me that many years ago I built a very customized cabinet for stereo
equipment only to see it obsoleted as smaller and newer equipment was
developed. The lesson I learned was to make the desk or cabinet as
flexible as possible.
Joe G

Faulty DVD player hub Lobster UK diy 2 May 22nd 06 11:02 AM
Machining a Go Cart Wheel Hub Jeremy Samuels Metalworking 11 May 9th 06 04:43 PM
Odd hub on shaft--removal advice. Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 9 February 23rd 06 04:50 PM
6 1/4" Faceplate with 1/2"-20 threaded hub... Bruno Metalworking 4 June 18th 05 03:55 AM
Bridgeport Splined Hub Removal Hugh Strong Metalworking 4 February 17th 04 11:31 AM