DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dust Collection Question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/189588-dust-collection-question.html)

Poker Elwood January 18th 07 08:58 PM

Dust Collection Question

I am setting up a home workshop with a dust collection system. Is
there a good reason to use "dust collection" hoses for the fittings
over standard sheet-metal ductwork? Any insights would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Elwood

Doug Miller January 18th 07 11:02 PM

Dust Collection Question

In article . com, "Poker Elwood" wrote:
I am setting up a home workshop with a dust collection system. Is
there a good reason to use "dust collection" hoses for the fittings
over standard sheet-metal ductwork? Any insights would be greatly
appreciated.

Best in my opinion is to use rigid metal duct for main lines, and flexible
hose to each piece of equipment. The rigid metal duct has much less resistance
to airflow, and pretty much nothing for solids to get hung up on, so the more
of it you have in the system the better. On the other hand, rigid metal duct
is, well, rigid -- and thus not compatible with moving the equipment around at
all, hence the flexible hose.

--
Regards,

Markem January 19th 07 12:21 AM

Dust Collection Question

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:02:45 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Best in my opinion is to use rigid metal duct for main lines

Then you have the impractical thoughts, mine is hmm 4 inch thin wall
soldered with clean outs all polished and pretty.

Like, I did not get enough metal polishing at Lackland.

Hmm, 4 inch copper gutter down spouts.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Doug Miller January 19th 07 03:07 AM

Dust Collection Question

wrote:

Best in my opinion is to use rigid metal duct for main lines

Then you have the impractical thoughts, mine is hmm 4 inch thin wall
soldered with clean outs all polished and pretty.

I said "duct", not "conduit". As in HVAC duct, which is what the OP was
asking about.

--
Regards,