Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Miter sled mounting--left or right? Opinions (or facts) appreciated

Bob Mc wrote:

I'm getting a miter sled for my Jet TS. The saw has a right-hand
extension table. The installation pictures show the sled and miter
gauge installed to the left of the blade. It seems to me that since
there is several feet of table to the right beyond the saw's table
extension, that having the long side of the material on the right
offers more support than having the waste part of the cut on the
right. The saw is left-tilt; I'm right-handed. Is there a reason that
a left-side installation seems preferred? I'm not sure what I'm
missing. Thanks.

Bob

Less kickback risk on a right tilt saw.
Bob G.

Bob Mc wrote:

I'm getting a miter sled for my Jet TS. The saw has a right-hand
extension table. The installation pictures show the sled and miter
gauge installed to the left of the blade. It seems to me that since
there is several feet of table to the right beyond the saw's table
extension, that having the long side of the material on the right
offers more support than having the waste part of the cut on the
right. The saw is left-tilt; I'm right-handed. Is there a reason that
a left-side installation seems preferred? I'm not sure what I'm
missing. Thanks.

Bob

My saw is a right tilt... but like yours I have 40+ inches of table on
the right of the blade but only
12 or os on the left of the blade...and I am also right handed....

I also have a "collection" of miter sleds... some are mounted and
configured to be used on the
left of the blade and some to the right of the blade..and some straddle
the blade.....

As to which is preferred? Honestly I have been a serious wood worker
for 40 years my current saw is 15 years old and I really DO NOT have
an answer for you... Sounds dumb but each of my sleds were made to
solve a particular problem I had encountered BUT GENERALLY I plop the
sled that mounts to the left of the blade for most of my cuts... maybe
its habit I really do not know...
That sled is smaller, lighter, and handier to use then the others... so
maybe that is why I grab it...

BUT if I were doing a 45 degree bevel cut...(not a miter) on a left tilt
saw using a miter sled I would want the "good" side of the work piece
facing up to eliminate chip out and for that cut I would use a sled
mounted to the right of the blade.......

Hope I made some sense with this post...still working on my foist cup
of coffee and am not fully awake yet...

Bob Griffiths

Leon

To insure the integrity of the sled, buy the sled that rides on the opposite
side that the blade tilts, otherwise you will cut into the sled on bevel
cuts and loose your reference line on the edge of the sled. I have a sled
for both sides on my left tilt. For 90 degree cuts I prefer using the left
side sled. I use the right sled for beveled cuts.

m...