DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   remove / replace cill for french doors (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18786-remove-replace-cill-french-doors.html)

JohnMBrebner July 24th 03 03:13 PM

remove / replace cill for french doors

I have a pair of French doors with 2 fixed side panels, the cill is completely
rotten with a small bit of rot on a couple of uprights where jointed into cill.
I was considering cutting these out and replacing in situ rather than taking
the whole frame out, but it seems a bit tricky re aligning and jointing the
cill with the frame in place. Is this the best/worst way? Is this what the
experts do? I've done a fair bit of joinery so I'm ok with the jointing etc.
Anyone with experience of this?
Any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

John

Bob S. July 24th 03 06:46 PM

remove / replace cill for french doors

John,

No expert on this but I am rebuilding two sets of French doors (see earlier
post) for my niece's house. What I found is that if the threshold (sill) is
rotted out, the bottom of the window panels and the door jams may also need
repair. I think it would be far easier to take the assemblies out, do any
repairs, then reinstall them. A couple of pieces of ply screwed down over
the opening would cover the hole while you did a proper repair.

Bob S.