Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to hang screwdrivers?

My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd
like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best
to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I
currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:KEkmh.6370$yx6.328
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Proper" is in the eye of the beholder.

How about a piece of 3/4 x 3 x as required, poplar, cross drilled with
either a brad point or forstner bit for each screwdriver blade.

Attach to wall with shelf brackets.

Leave space for future expansion.

Lew

I'll second that, and raise you this observation. Tool belt screwdriver
holders are often just a piece of material that wraps around the shank of
the screw driver. Some aren't very big at all, but they do the job well.

Your screw holes don't need to be tight, either. Just small enough so
the handle doesn't slide through. (I'd say about 3/8" should be
sufficient.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

On Jan 1, 9:39 pm, wrote:
My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd
like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best
to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I
currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at such
a speed
that the screwdrivers just fly out of the holders? What is wrong with
the peg
board holders?
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd
like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best
to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I
currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd
like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best
to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I
currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand tools.

I attached an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. That magnet hold all
kinds of screwdrivers and bits and things. (I was going to write: I
screwed an old woofer to the side of a cabinet. But in here, who knows
how that would have been interpreted.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, if you take a look at what a mechanic does... they've got
thousands of screwdriver-like things. Everything is kept in metal
drawers. It also helps keeps the dust out.

Leon wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife gave me a nice set of a dozen screwdrivers for Christmas. I'd
like to hang them properly in my workshop. Any suggestions on how best
to hang them? I have a pegboard for my tools, but the 3/4" rings I
currently have for screwdrivers don't hold them securely.

-Fleemo

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at
such a speed
that the screwdrivers just fly out of the holders? What is wrong with the peg
board holders?

The moving room seemed to be the case New Year's morning, that's for
sure.

The 3/4" metal rings on my pegboard allow the thinnest-handled
screwdrivers to slide right through, and the shortest-shafted
precariously teeter, as they're not long enough to be supported by the
second ring which hangs two inches below.

Thanks for the input here folks. I do appreciate it.

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote

Leon wrote:

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand
tools.

Like this?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:00:27 -0500, Dave Hall wrote:

On 2 Jan 2007 11:58:31 -0800, wrote:

I'm curious. How secure do they have to be? Is the room moving at

such a speed
that the screwdrivers just fly out of the holders? What is wrong with the peg
board holders?

The moving room seemed to be the case New Year's morning, that's for
sure.

The 3/4" metal rings on my pegboard allow the thinnest-handled
screwdrivers to slide right through, and the shortest-shafted
precariously teeter, as they're not long enough to be supported by the
second ring which hangs two inches below.

Thanks for the input here folks. I do appreciate it.

-Fleemo

I have a couple of pegboard "racks" or attachments kind of like the
rings, but they are just a series of "fingers" that the screwdrivers
slide into with the handles holding them up. Still might be a bit wide
for really thin handled screwdrivers (i.e. detail drivers like for
eyeglasses, etc.) but eliminates the "teetering" that you mention. I
think each holds about 8 or 10 screwdrivers. I believe that I picked
that up at a Builders Square (an old out-of-business BORG) a number of
years ago. I assume the same type of thing is sold wherever peg board
attachments are sold.

Take a piece of jummywood or whatever you have, take a Forstner or spade
bit or whatever equal to the diameter of the handle of the screwdriver
and drill a recess into it for each screwdriver, then cut a slot from the
edge in to the center of the recess equal in width to the diameter of the
shaft. Fasten that to the pegboard with whatever seems appropriate.

If anybody wants to see a picture let me know.

Dave Hall

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
et...

wrote

Leon wrote:

I put mine in a tool box, I never felt compelled to display my hand
tools.

Like this?
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Max

Exactly, they do not get dusty and do not take up valuable wall space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Take a piece of jummywood or whatever you have, take a Forstner or spade
bit or whatever equal to the diameter of the handle of the screwdriver
and drill a recess into it for each screwdriver, then cut a slot from the
edge in to the center of the recess equal in width to the diameter of the
shaft. Fasten that to the pegboard with whatever seems appropriate.

If anybody wants to see a picture let me know.

Dave Hall

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ya got any plans for that?
Drawn to scale, properly dimensioned?
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:48:43 -0600, Greg O wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Take a piece of jummywood or whatever you have, take a Forstner or spade
bit or whatever equal to the diameter of the handle of the screwdriver
and drill a recess into it for each screwdriver, then cut a slot from the
edge in to the center of the recess equal in width to the diameter of the
shaft. Fasten that to the pegboard with whatever seems appropriate.

If anybody wants to see a picture let me know.

Dave Hall

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ya got any plans for that?
Drawn to scale, properly dimensioned?

Get the plans for the "Hanging Cabinet" from Lee Valley. It includes a
screwdriver/chisel rack.

Greg

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I reckon a bullet holster may do what you need, pilgrim.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A lot of good suggestions here. Many thanks!

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can't help it, every time I've seen this posting the same thing goes thru
my mind...

"Best way to hang screwdrivers?"

....a very small noose...?

John E.

wrote in message
oups.com...
A lot of good suggestions here. Many thanks!

-Fleemo

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

This works well for me: http://home.att.net/~lkraus/holder.htm

Nifty! ... AAMOF, the best looking I've seen. Just wished I had the time to
do fine furniture screwdriver holders.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

This works well for me: http://home.att.net/~lkraus/holder.htm

Nifty! ... AAMOF, the best looking I've seen. Just wished I had
the time to do fine furniture screwdriver holders.

You could do what I did: I took a 2x2, drilled some holes all the
way through (no fancy slots here) at intervals, then took one of
those ugly wire screwdriver holders, broke off the loops, and
attached it to the back of the 2x2. (The wire thingie that hooks on
the pegboard is inset into the 2x2, then held on with some cheap
sheet aluminum and screws.) Now it hangs on my pegboard with a dozen
or so screwdrivers in it. It ain't pretty, but it works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

darkon wrote:

Swingman wrote:

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

This works well for me: http://home.att.net/~lkraus/holder.htm

Nifty! ... AAMOF, the best looking I've seen. Just wished I had
the time to do fine furniture screwdriver holders.

You could do what I did: I took a 2x2, drilled some holes all
the way through (no fancy slots here) at intervals, then took
one of those ugly wire screwdriver holders, broke off the loops,
and attached it to the back of the 2x2. (The wire thingie that
hooks on the pegboard is inset into the 2x2, then held on with
some cheap sheet aluminum and screws.) Now it hangs on my
pegboard with a dozen or so screwdrivers in it. It ain't
pretty, but it works.

Oops. Was browsing old posts, and didn't notice that I was
responding to something ~6 weeks old. Oh well.

More screwdrivers Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 6 May 12th 06 08:12 AM
More screwdrivers Proctologically Violated©® Home Repair 6 May 12th 06 08:12 AM
Automatic Screwdrivers. Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 August 9th 05 06:52 AM
Screwdrivers Doki UK diy 2 August 24th 03 08:40 PM
drills / screwdrivers Ginger_neil UK diy 9 July 28th 03 12:08 AM