DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Questions, a gloat or two, and assorted ramblings.... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/187566-questions-gloat-two-assorted-ramblings.html)

[email protected] December 31st 06 01:25 AM

Questions, a gloat or two, and assorted ramblings....

Evening -

Coupla years back we remodeled our oak timberframe home and removed
some of the oak timbers in the process. Nice, 2x6 (actual) white oak.
16 beams, from 5 to 7 feet in length. Some good 1/4 sawn (five or so),
two amazingly beautiful quilted grain beams, and 8 or nine pretty, but
understated standard (?) cut.

I'm making a morris chair and using the quilted grain for the arms and
the 1/4 sawn for the rest of the structure.

Ooops, Honey, I need a bandsaw so I can resaw this lumber. So now to
the question: I can get the Powermatic 14" Bandsaw for $800 after
mail-in or I can get the Jet 14" for $450.

Obviously, the P-matic is significantly more in money and features-
Carter guides, blade tensioner, fence, another 1/2 hp, P-matic quality.

To add those bits to the Jet would bring the cost almost as much as the
P-matic....

Any opinions? I could also go mid-way and pick up a Delta - in the
$600 range....

Anyway, so I figger I'll take the rest of that white oak and make a
laminated workbench top.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Glue and screw each slab?

D'ohBoy