BeerBoy

Default MinWax Wipe-On Poly advice

Hi,
I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am
looking for some application tips. Do most of you just go by the
instructions on the can or are there better methods? I got some great
advice regarding Watco Danish Oil application and thought some of you may
have some good advice regarding this poly. Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:11:26 GMT, "BeerBoy"
wrote:

Hi,
I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am
looking for some application tips.

I use a clean, white cotton rag, or cheesecloth, about 9x9, folded
into a pad about 3x3. The rag gets stored in a ziplock bag in between
coats, so the rag lasts for an entire project.

FWIW, I don't use "wipe-on" poly, simply regular poly cut 50/50 with
paint thinner.

Barry
Alan McClure

ATP wrote:

BeerBoy wrote:
Hi,
I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am
looking for some application tips. Do most of you just go by the
instructions on the can or are there better methods? I got some great
advice regarding Watco Danish Oil application and thought some of you
may have some good advice regarding this poly. Thanks.

I think the really fine woodworkers here use Poly Shades :-)

All Right! YOU!!! Go to your room and don't come back here
until you can post without using profanity. ;-)
ARM

Sawblade

As far as I can tell, wipe on poly is just regular polyurethane thinned with
mineral spirits 50/50. It produces a very thin coat, but can be recoated in
about 4-6 hours depending on temp and humidity. I use 0000 steel wool very
lightly between coats and it gets rid of dust nibs, etc and leaves a really
smooth finish. I have used everything from paper towels to socks to apply
it, but old tee shirts seem to work best for me. I have had the best luck
with the gloss instead of the satin, and just rub with steel wool and paste
wax to cut the shine a little. Let it cure for a week or more before you
rub out the gloss with the steel wool and wax.

--
Sawblade
(use SWBell to fix address)

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi,
I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am
looking for some application tips. Do most of you just go by the
instructions on the can or are there better methods? I got some great
advice regarding Watco Danish Oil application and thought some of you may
have some good advice regarding this poly. Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

George

Paper towel, the cheapest sort, works great for application as long as you
have properly sanded work. I use one of those extra fine sanding sponges
with mineral spirits as a lube when sanding between coats. Half a sponge,
kept in a container with some spirits to wash it lasts a _very_ long time.

The gloss is more transparent, of course, and you _can_ use steel wool of
you like. I just hate the stuff, so I use pumice on an oiled rag.

.. .

"BeerBoy" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi,
I have some MinWax Wipe-On Poly that I want to try on a project and am
looking for some application tips. Do most of you just go by the
instructions on the can or are there better methods? I got some great
advice regarding Watco Danish Oil application and thought some of you may
have some good advice regarding this poly. Thanks.

--
BeerBoy

Thomas Mitchell

I've used the product and really like it. At the time I first applied
the poly, about the only lint free rag I had was a new auto detailing
rag. I used part of that rag and was very happy with the results.
Haven't tried anything else since the auto polish rag worked so well.