Posted to rec.woodworking
D J D J is offline

Default Tablesaw does not start.. have to upgrade power

Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

regards,
D J

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "D J" wrote:
Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

Dunno... what does JET say the saw requires? And what do you have now? 120V,
sure (not 110V, by the way), but how many amps? And what gauge is the wire in
the existing circuit?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

Without knowing the answers to the above questions, any suggestion (other than
to hire an electrician) is premature.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

regards,
D J

Fuse in panel indicate an older house and perhaps some funny wiring
modifications through the years. Unplug saw and make sure blade and motor
spins freely. Find the shortest circuit run to the panel, remove all other
loads from that circuit, connect directly to receptacle without an extension
cord and restart the TS again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You also don't mention whether anything is on the same circuit (lights, air
conditioner, etc). You haven't given enough information for anyone to help
you.

To summarize some of the other posts:
1) Read the amp rating from the manual or plate on the motor, and post
back. A model number at minimum, since Jet makes a few tablesaws.
According to the manual for a Jet SuperSaw (model JWSS-10CS,
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/ind...4&iid=6053088), it says
that you're supposed to have a 30 amp 120V circuit if you're running 120.
That's not a usual circuit. Makes me wonder why they bother saying it can
run on 120V, if that's the case, since you'd still have to re-wire
everything from the panel to the outlet, so you might as well just do a 240V
circuit. Some of their other saws don't say how many amps, which would be
frustrating. But the motor should have a plate on it, regardless.
2) Try the tablesaw without an extension cord, and try to make sure that no
other things are on the same circuit
3) Do you have a fuse, or a circuit breaker? A fuse (to me) implies older
wiring that may or may not be "up to snuff". If that's the case, good luck.

Clint

"D J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

regards,
D J

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

Depends on what model saw you have. If it is the contractor model with 1
1/2 hp, you need a dedicated 20A line. It may run on a 15A if there is
nothing else on that circuit, but there is going to be too much drain and
you may not have full power and you may cause overloading. Can also cause
motor overheating.

Best bet is to get an electrician to run a new line just for the saw. While
you are at it, convert the saw to 220 for better starting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
D J D J is offline

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for the answers this quick. Really appreciate it.

I took a look at the saw and that says 1.5 HP, 18 Amps, 120 V.

Next thing I wanted to check is the gauge of the wire to see if I can
really run more current in the same line if required to. Any good
suggestion on quickly checking the gauge? Sorry I am all new to
electric, never done in past.

Last time when this happened, I had TS running on an extension and that
was draining power very much. only one other bulb was running since it
was night. Then I directly tried to the outlet and same result.

If required, probably running a separate line may not be a bad ideas,
but that will be expensive to me, right? My Garage is detached and the
line to garage goes underground at least about 100 feet. I have circuit
breakers in the garage as well as the house.

Regards,
D J

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"D J" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I just bought a Jet table saw and plugged in yesterday night. I tried
to start but then the fuse went off. I know i have 110 v line, but do i
need to increase amps?

any good suggestion on how to do that? I am thinking of hiring an
electrician.

Depends on what model saw you have. If it is the contractor model with 1
1/2 hp, you need a dedicated 20A line. It may run on a 15A if there is
nothing else on that circuit, but there is going to be too much drain and
you may not have full power and you may cause overloading. Can also cause
motor overheating.

Best bet is to get an electrician to run a new line just for the saw. While
you are at it, convert the saw to 220 for better starting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D J" wrote in message

I took a look at the saw and that says 1.5 HP, 18 Amps, 120 V.

Next thing I wanted to check is the gauge of the wire to see if I can
really run more current in the same line if required to. Any good
suggestion on quickly checking the gauge?

You need a minimum of 12 gauge to run a 20A circuit. I've never seen a 15A
that used more than 14G wire. Look at the sheathing on the wire and it may
state the size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, 18A is too much for a 15A circuit, so I think you've found your
problem.

But do you have a sub-panel in the garage? Sounds like it. So you may just
be able to rewire in the garage, rather than having to rewire from the
house. That would be much easier, obviously.

As far as checking the gauge goes, take the plug out (after shutting off
power to it via the circuit breaker) and see if you can see a gauge on the
wire attached. If the outer sheath has been stripped all the way back to
where it enters in the box, you may not have much luck with that. If you
can see the wires running out of the sub-panel in the garage (assuming you
have one), you can check to see if any of them are 14 gauge. I think you
need 12 gauge to run a 20A circuit. But just checking at the panel or the
plug may not be enough; you don't know if all the wires in between are the
same gauge.

If I was you, I'd run a 240V circuit for the saw from the sub-panel in the
garage, and call it done. Hire an electrician if you're not comfortable
doing it yourself.

Clint

oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"D J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

D J wrote:
[...]

If your garage has a subpanel, you should be able to add a 20-amp
circuit that will power ONLY the table saw. But if you are not familiar
with house wiring, DO NOT attempt to do this yourself - get a licensed
electrician to do it for you.

--Steve