Dan Shea

Default Where is the Laguna LT16 made?

1. Does it make a difference where it is made?

2. Is the LT16 worth the money?

3. What is a comparable machine that is a better value?

4. How is the LT16 on resawing?

5. Is there new resaw saw worth the money?

Steve Turner

Dan Shea wrote:
1. Does it make a difference where it is made?

The Laguna is made in Italy. Most of the really good bandsaws out there seem
to be made in Italy these days.

2. Is the LT16 worth the money?

I assume you are asking if it's worth the extra money you'd pay above and
beyond the various Deltas, Jets, and Grizzlies. I think only you can make that
decision.

3. What is a comparable machine that is a better value?

I've seen some of your recent posts asking about bandsaws, but I haven't seen
anyone mention the MiniMax MM16 (http://www.minimax-usa.com/mm16.html). If
you're already pondering machines in this price range, you REALLY should give
the MiniMax a serious look. It is also made in Italy (by Centauro, not the
same company that make saws for Laguna). I chose the MM16 over the Laguna
LT16HD after much research and pondering, and many others have done the same.
Both the Laguna and MiniMax have features that could cause you to think that
one is "better" than the other, but they are both very nice machines. Without
going into great detail, my personal assessment is that the MiniMax is
"beefier"; it has heavier wheels, a much stronger upper guide post and
tensioning mechanism, a more powerful motor, and a bit more resaw height. The
Laguna has the edge on refinement and aesthetics; it has a nicer fence, newly
designed ceramic guide blocks, a better zero-clearance insert, a nicer paint
job, and uh, I think that's about it.

Another thing that might matter to you is the customer service. MiniMax has
the best customer service you could hope to ask for (check our their Yahoo
discussion group if you want to see for yourself:
people here have come to the conclusion that Laguna's customer service is
steeped in a foul aroma. You might also say that it SUCKS. If you decide to
deal with them and have a better experience, by all means let us know.

4. How is the LT16 on resawing?

Most of my previous comments were in reference to the LT16HD; the LT16 appears
to be a new machine to replace an older 16" model; I haven't seen this new
model (though my buddy has the old one). If you plan to use the full 12" resaw
height, my guess is that the 2.5HP motor is going to be a bit underpowered for
the job. The LT16HD and LT18 both have 3HP motors, and that motor seems to do
a pretty good job, but even that is no match for the 3.6HP unit sported by the
MiniMax MM16. If you're serious about these types of saws, I suggest that you
try to attend some of the woodworking shows and see them in action.

5. Is there new resaw saw worth the money?

Not unless resawing is the only thing you plan to do. If you get very far into
other types of woodworking, you'll probably find yourself in the market for
another bandsaw that can do the "general-purpose" stuff, since the resaw units
weren't designed to run the smaller 1/2" or 1/4" blades that you need to do
tight curves.

charlieb

Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

The LT and MiniMax bandsaws are both good saws. MiniMax, out of
Austin
TX, may be a bit more aggressive in their pricing etc. because they're
the new kid on the block, relatively speaking.

Another thing that might matter to you is the customer service. MiniMax has
the best customer service you could hope to ask for (check our their Yahoo
discussion group if you want to see for yourself:
people here have come to the conclusion that Laguna's customer service is
steeped in a foul aroma. You might also say that it SUCKS. If you decide to
deal with them and have a better experience, by all means let us know.

LT went through some trying times - opening and then closing their New
Jersey facility, complete change of computer system, a move from
Laguna
Beach and the usual problems with over expanding. Things have gotten
a lot better in the last year or so, though most of MiniMax staff are
former LT employees.

4. How is the LT16 on resawing?

Don't know about the LT16 but the LT16SEC with 2.5 hp 220-240V unit
works pretty well if 1/16" thickness or thicker is what you're looking
for - see link below.
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/ch...Resawing1.html
or here if you're talking about sawing up mini-logs
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/ch...nalSawing.html

Most of my previous comments were in reference to the LT16HD; the LT16 appears
to be a new machine to replace an older 16" model; I haven't seen this new
model (though my buddy has the old one). If you plan to use the full 12" resaw
height, my guess is that the 2.5HP motor is going to be a bit underpowered for
the job. The LT16HD and LT18 both have 3HP motors, and that motor seems to do
a pretty good job, but even that is no match for the 3.6HP unit sported by the
MiniMax MM16. If you're serious about these types of saws, I suggest that you
try to attend some of the woodworking shows and see them in action.

The new LT14 and the LT16 are being made in Bulgaria by a company that
sounds like Stomana or Stomono or .... The LT16SEC, LT16HD and the
LT18
series are Italian - Meber I beleave.

As for the 2.5 hp motor being perhaps underpowered, or the need for
3.6 or
more hp - 1/2" 3 tpi blade works well and with much less friction/heat
than an 1 1/2 or 2" blade that normally doesn't buy you anything
unless
your a lumber mill operation. Wider blades mean more tension which
means
ore wear and tear on bearings ...

5. Is there new resaw saw worth the money?

Not unless resawing is the only thing you plan to do. If you get very far into
other types of woodworking, you'll probably find yourself in the market for
another bandsaw that can do the "general-purpose" stuff, since the resaw units
weren't designed to run the smaller 1/2" or 1/4" blades that you need to do
tight curves.

My LT16SEC - with LT's ceramic guides will handle 1/4" to 1 1/4"
blades
without a problem, though I normally keep a 1/2" on it most of the
time.

Just a little more info to add to the discussion

charlie b