Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wanted, project for a young woodworker

I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make?
I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have the
idea.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in
:

I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make?
I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I
have the idea.

Mekon

How about a clock? As long as you could find the mechanical clockworks,
it's a simple useful project that would involve a variety of tasks. (If
you have a wood burner you could even put the numbers on with that.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make?
I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have
the
idea.

Mekon

How about a jewelry box like this one?

http://plansnow.com/jewelry.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:54:43 +0000, Mekon wrote:

I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make? I don't need
plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have the idea.

Simple stupid little box with a drop on lid, maybe 3x5x1-1/4 inches. That
size there's no need to get fancy on the joinery. Make up or buy some
quarter inch stock for him. Little longer, little wider, little taller
won't make any difference--3 inches fits on a medicine cabinet shelf
nicely though--nice size box for hair ties and the like. Kind of thing
that she'll actually find a use for rather than putting on a shelf
somewhere and having to dust. Small enough that if he botches it and
wrecks a piece of teak or rosewood you won't cry over it (even with waste
there should be less than half a board foot in it). Oil and wax finish
should be fine.

Mekon

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make?
I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have
the
idea.

Mekon

A carved kitchen wood spoon......You would have to cut and mostly carve but
he could help carve some and sand like crazy and put on the mineral
oil.......I just made one from curly maple (very pretty) and one from
alder...each took nearly 3 hours but I'm sure the next 4 will go much
fasterG....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

The key here is 8 years old.
Every mom needs a step stool to reach that top shelf.
There are plans for simple 'one step' stools all over the net.

Here is a link to some:
http://www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk...tical%20S.html

"Mekon" wrote in message
I have a 8 yo boy visiting tomorrow and thought he might like to make
something for his mother for Christmas,

Does anyone have a suggestion for something he can make?
I don't need plans, I can figure out what needs to be done, once I have
the
idea.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Salt/Pepper/Napkin holder

Three boards and some glue...

With proper wood, can be very impressive and functional.