DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   vibration (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/185306-vibration.html)

[email protected] December 9th 06 07:32 PM

vibration

i have a jet 14" lathe with cast iron legs. i mounted the legs in 8" of
concrete and it vibrates when hollowing out bowls. any comments?

Morris Dovey December 9th 06 07:39 PM

vibration

(in
) said:

| i have a jet 14" lathe with cast iron legs. i mounted the legs in
| 8" of concrete and it vibrates when hollowing out bowls. any
| comments?

(not a lathe guy)

If it only vibrates when you're turning bowls, I'd check the spindle
bearings.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Pop` December 9th 06 09:09 PM

vibration

wrote:
i have a jet 14" lathe with cast iron legs. i mounted the legs in 8"
of concrete and it vibrates when hollowing out bowls. any comments?

Sounds like a lot of overkill on the mounting. There are many things on a
lathe that can cause vibration to be excessive; too many to go into here.
Try googling; lots of good articles on the subject.
There will always be -some- vibration; it's a matter of how much is
reasonable. Research it for best results.

Pop