DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wife offered membership; why not me (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18527-wife-offered-membership%3B-why-not-me.html)

bob July 19th 03 03:47 AM

wife offered membership; why not me

Today, my wife received the big orange envelope in the mail. Her
personalized invitation to join the Handyman Club of America as a charter
member. How many years now have they been recruiting charter members? I
don't know how in the hell they got her name. Even got the "Mrs." right in
the salutation.

I snagged her free gift - the glue spreader, aka a drill bit guide. That
makes four I have now. My kids drew some pictures, my wife grabbed some
expired coupons and we stuffed the postage paid envelope full of our "junk
mail" and sent it back to them.

Bob

Michael Baglio July 19th 03 04:12 AM

wife offered membership; why not me

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:47:59 -0500, "bob"
wrote:

I snagged her free gift - the glue spreader, aka a drill bit guide. That
makes four I have now. My kids drew some pictures, my wife grabbed some
expired coupons and we stuffed the postage paid envelope full of our "junk
mail" and sent it back to them.

Since it _was_ postage paid, you could have taped the empty envelope
to a cinder block. :)

Michael Baglio
Chapel Hill

Glen July 19th 03 02:18 PM

wife offered membership; why not me

My daughter, now 12, received her invitation to join about a year or so
back. I have no clue where they picked up her name, either.

Glen

Jim Stuyck July 19th 03 05:07 PM

wife offered membership; why not me

"jo4hn" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good

day.

ROTFL! ;-)

Which "disease" are your "diseased" with? Warts? Wasp stings?

Or, perhaps, you write "deceased" on the envelope?

Jim Stuyck

Silvan July 19th 03 06:17 PM

bob wrote:

member. How many years now have they been recruiting charter members? I
don't know how in the hell they got her name. Even got the "Mrs." right
in the salutation.

Yeah, I know how that goes. I've been a Popular Mechanics subscriber for
years and years.

Mrs. Renee O. McIntyre

*sigh*

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16554 Approximate word count: 496620

Igor July 19th 03 09:04 PM

wife offered membership; why not me

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:07:43 GMT, "Jim Stuyck" wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good

day.

ROTFL! ;-)

Which "disease" are your "diseased" with? Warts? Wasp stings?

Or, perhaps, you write "deceased" on the envelope?

Jim Stuyck

I think that was jo4hn's point -- removal vs. burned.

jo4hn July 19th 03 10:29 PM

Jim Stuyck wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good

day.

ROTFL! ;-)

Which "disease" are your "diseased" with? Warts? Wasp stings?

Or, perhaps, you write "deceased" on the envelope?

Jim Stuyck

One of my purposes in life is to bring a bit of the surreal to others
lives. Hence "diseased".
j4

Jim Stuyck July 19th 03 11:03 PM

wife offered membership; why not me

"jo4hn" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Jim Stuyck wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good

day.

ROTFL! ;-)

Which "disease" are your "diseased" with? Warts? Wasp stings?

Or, perhaps, you write "deceased" on the envelope?

Jim Stuyck

One of my purposes in life is to bring a bit of the surreal to others
lives. Hence "diseased".

At least "that's your story and you're sticking to it." ;-)

Jim

Alan McClure July 20th 03 05:22 AM

jo4hn wrote:

I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good day.
mahalo,
jo4hn

You, sir, are weird! I LIKE that in a person!

ARM ;-)

Larry Jaques July 20th 03 05:40 AM

wife offered membership; why not me

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:29:39 GMT, jo4hn
pixelated:

One of my purposes in life is to bring a bit of the surreal to others
lives. Hence "diseased".
j4

Try "Sieze and Desistered" some time, too.

"i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT July 20th 03 07:52 AM

wife offered membership; why not me

Sat, Jul 19, 2003, 3:13pm (EDT+4) (jo4hn) says:
I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good
day.

I prefer to be truthful, and simply write something like "refused
as obscene material".

From WordNet (r) 1.7 (wn)
obscene adj snip 2: offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the
obscene massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs";
"repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in recent novels"
[syn: {abhorrent}, {detestable}, {repugnant}, {repulsive}]

Hehehehehe.

JOAT
Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're
talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...All/page4.html

Robert Bonomi July 20th 03 11:53 AM

wife offered membership; why not me

In article ,
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:
Sat, Jul 19, 2003, 3:13pm (EDT+4) (jo4hn) says:
I write "DISEASED" on the face of the return envelope and send it back
empty. If the mail handler can't read very well, I am removed from the
list. If he can read, the envelope is burned. :-) I am having a good
day.

I prefer to be truthful, and simply write something like "refused
as obscene material".

If you want to _be_sure_ that they don't mail you again, just trot down
to the Post Office, and ask for a "Form 1500". Fill it out, which
involves claiming that *YOU* (and *nobody* -- not the Post Office, or
even the U.S. Supreme Court can override your evaluation) find the
material to be obscene, and don't want any more mailing from that company.

Not only do they have to stop sending you 'stuff', they have to remove
your name/address/etc. from _all_ their records. This means that they
can't rent/sell your name/address to somebody else who wants to junk mail
you.

Related info: For those getting the subscription 'renewal' notices from
the people -not- related to the magazine; sending 'fake' invoices is
*illegal*. The Federal law is "39 USC 3001 (d)". The post office takes
a _very_ dim view of such activities. Go to the Post Office, again, and
ask for "Form 8165". You'll need to include a copy of the 'invoice' *and*
a copy of the face of the envelope, with the complaint when you submit it.