DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop safety (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18485-shop-safety.html)

Gren July 17th 03 05:47 PM

Shop safety

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not there and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

Steve July 17th 03 05:51 PM

Shop safety

"Gren" wrote in message
.. .
I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My

worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not

there and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep

the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of

the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

If you have a sub-panel feeding the shop, it might be easier to put a
lockable switch on the line feeding the panel.

Phisherman July 17th 03 06:40 PM

Shop safety

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:47:47 GMT, "Gren" wrote:

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not there and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

I have a subpanel I installed in a closet under the basement steps.
Children don't come into my home, but I could add a lock to the closet
door after cutting off the electricity.

Charlie Spitzer July 17th 03 06:42 PM

Shop safety

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
s.com...
Couple of thoughts...

Assuming you have a sub-panel in the shop, you could get a locking cover

(or
add a traditional pad lock) making sure you kill the breakers when you

leave
and lock the panel behind you. This way you don't have to shut power to

the
whole panel and can leave lighting etc. circuits on.

breakers aren't designed to be used as switches. doing so wears them out
lots more quickly.

If that doesn't work, you can get standard "safety switches" manufactured

by
companies such as Square-D etc. You can route the feed to a specific

circuit
through these and shut them off, locking them out with a pad lock as

needed.

You can also get industrial switching components (switches, key switches,
pilot lights etc) that can be made into a panel but this can get costly in

hurry (this would be the coolest *looking* option though!).

Go down to your local electrical wholesaler (NOT...Home Depot or other
building center) and explain what you're trying to do. This requirement

may
be new to you, but not to them and I'm pretty sure they'll come up with
something for you.

Good luck
Rob

.. .

jo4hn July 17th 03 06:45 PM

Shop safety

Steve wrote:

"Gren" wrote in message
.. .

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My

[snip]

If you have a sub-panel feeding the shop, it might be easier to put a
lockable switch on the line feeding the panel.

Or simply throw the main in the subpanel or the appropriate breakers in
the main box and put a padlock on the box. I find that having lots of
switches leads to not turning all of them off for whatever reasons. Any
borg or electrical supply house should have the stuff you might need.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Rob Stokes July 17th 03 06:54 PM

Shop safety

Couple of thoughts...

Assuming you have a sub-panel in the shop, you could get a locking cover (or
add a traditional pad lock) making sure you kill the breakers when you leave
and lock the panel behind you. This way you don't have to shut power to the
whole panel and can leave lighting etc. circuits on.

If that doesn't work, you can get standard "safety switches" manufactured by
companies such as Square-D etc. You can route the feed to a specific circuit
through these and shut them off, locking them out with a pad lock as needed.

You can also get industrial switching components (switches, key switches,
pilot lights etc) that can be made into a panel but this can get costly in a
hurry (this would be the coolest *looking* option though!).

Go down to your local electrical wholesaler (NOT...Home Depot or other
building center) and explain what you're trying to do. This requirement may
be new to you, but not to them and I'm pretty sure they'll come up with
something for you.

Good luck
Rob

.. .

Jim Mc Namara July 17th 03 07:20 PM

Shop safety

All the ideas mentioned are good ones. One other thing I would mention is
to stop the access to the shop as well. I lock on the door at a level too
high for them to reach would help as well.

One other thing I would recommend is to educate them. Even if they had made
access and the power was off, plugging in power tools, access to scary sharp
chisels, and just a TS blade not spinning could mangle little fingers. I
don't know how old these little "1040 deductions" are - but it would never
be too early to teach them.

Just a thought

Jums

Dave W July 17th 03 08:35 PM

Shop safety

My father had a big switch that was originally on a trolley. He used it to
cut power to all the machines so that "the boys" would not get into trouble
with the machinery whe he was not around. Of course we found that by
standing on a chair and hitting the switch lever with a hammer, everything
was on. I used the bandsaw on one of these outings and cut half an inch
into the length of my finger. Never a word, just bandage and hope. Somehow
we survived.
I guess the point is that no matter what steps are taken, little kids
are attracted to the machines. Its probably better to educate them in the
ways of safety than to prohibit.
Dave
.. .

Howard July 18th 03 01:37 AM

Shop safety

"Gren" wrote ...
I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop.

Know the feeling.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

I just bought a lock to fit my subpanel and I throw the main breaker and
lock it off. All the suitable switches I found were either not rated for my
power or way too much money. Of course I said this on the wreck before and
was admonished for improper use of a breaker, but it works for me.

--

Cheers,
Howard

Working wood in New Jersey -
Visit me in the woodshop -
www.inthewoodshop.org

Jeffrey J. Potoff July 18th 03 03:32 AM

Shop safety

Steve wrote:
"Gren" wrote in message
.. .

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My

worry

has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not

there and

some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep

the

door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of

the

reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

If you have a sub-panel feeding the shop, it might be easier to put a
lockable switch on the line feeding the panel.

I agree, this is the way to go. Wire up a lockable sub-panel for the
circuits in your shop. Locking out power is the surest way of insuring
the machinery cannot be operated. It will probably be easier and
cheaper (as well as work better) do to this than to key each machine
individually.

J.

The Davenports July 18th 03 03:35 AM

Shop safety

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not there

and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

Now, I've read all the replies to this post and the one thing that no one
brought up is the same way my father kept me safe in the shop when I was,
shall we say "short"?...

FEAR

Now, my father never once beat me...a spanking or three on occasion, but
never anything worse than that, but I was not in fear of my father, but in
fear of his disappointment in me for doing something that he told me not to.

I am the youngest of 4 kids and dad NEVER locked his machines and never
needed to...we knew better. And it worked for the next generation, too...I
never locked or hid anything from my step-son...he believed me when I told
him that very bad things would happen...if not from the tools, then from me.

Neither of us needed therapy to "recover" from being raised with a firm
hand. Oh, and my step-son actually did better than me...I never had to
punish him for anything shop related.

I'll get off my soap-box now and have a beer.

Mike

B a r r y B u r k e J r . July 18th 03 11:50 AM

Shop safety

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:47:47 GMT, "Gren" wrote:

I have two small children that love to visit me in my workshop. My worry
has always been that one day they may visit the shop when I'm not there and
some how turn on a machine and feed their hands in. Right now I keep the
door locked and ALWAYS unplug the machines.

I want to add another level of safety by putting onoff / key switch
controllers on all the machines but mounted on the wall well out of the
reach of any child.

Has anyone done something like this and if so where is a good place to
purchase the equipment.

Can you kill the power at the breaker(s)? If nothing else is on your
shop circuits, this may be a lot cheaper than replacing every switch,
even if you had to rehome the tool circuits to a small sub panel. You
could then lock the sub panel, if you needed even more security.

Also, many of my tools have switches with removable paddles. Pull out
the paddles, and the switch can't be activated. Look closely, some of
your tools may already be equipped this way.

Barry

Scott Brownell July 18th 03 11:36 PM

Shop safety

Rob Stokes wrote:

Thank you Charlie, and normally I would agree however if you're looking for
a simple solution this works, and "quickly" can shorten the life from 50
years to ten...still not a bad solution.

Rob

"Charlie Spitzer" wrote in message

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
s.com...
Couple of thoughts...

Assuming you have a sub-panel in the shop, you could get a locking cover

(or
add a traditional pad lock) making sure you kill the breakers when you

leave
and lock the panel behind you. This way you don't have to shut power to

the
whole panel and can leave lighting etc. circuits on.

breakers aren't designed to be used as switches. doing so wears them out
lots more quickly.

snipped

I know of a retail furniture store that did exactly this every night for
over 20 years and never had a problem. Had an electrician tell me one
time that it's actually a good idea to cycle them at least once a
month..something about keeping them freed up, too many years have gone
by to remember exactly what he said.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.

The Davenports July 19th 03 04:22 AM

Shop safety

snip
Now, I've read all the replies to this post and the one thing that no

one
brought up is the same way my father kept me safe in the shop when I

was,
shall we say "short"?...

FEAR

Now, my father never once beat me...a spanking or three on occasion, but

snip
Don't get off too quickly because if I didn't know better I would say
that it was me that wrote the words you just did. At age 18 my step-son
still knew better than to dream of entering my shop if I wasn't there. I
was raised the same as you and that's how I raised mine..we get along
just fine and they're now their 30's.

Scott

Sorry, Scott, I didn't realize that I was getting off quickly...or slowly,
for that matter.

I'll try to dial it back.

Mike

Silvan July 19th 03 07:15 AM

Shop safety

The Davenports wrote:

Now, my father never once beat me...a spanking or three on occasion, but
never anything worse than that, but I was not in fear of my father, but in
fear of his disappointment in me for doing something that he told me not
to.

Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

Still a guiding force in my life, really. "Would Dad approve of this course
of action?"

I'll get off my soap-box now and have a beer.

Had too many of those... :) Is it Christmas? I seem to be lit up like a
Christmas tree.... ;)

Anyway, I'm of the same school. Haven't spanked the kids since they were
old enough to speak English, but I don't put up with a lot of nonsense, and
they know it. I don't have locks on anything, and regularly give my nine
year old the keys to the shop so he can fetch me tools. (Well, OK, I have
a lock on the shop. :)

Man... Nine year old.

Wow, I haven't really thought about that yet. That little booger is growing
up *fast*!!! He's already almost as tall as his mother. I guess before
too much longer he'll be graduating from high school.

The older you get, the faster you get older.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16544 Approximate word count: 496320

The Davenports July 20th 03 02:46 AM

Shop safety

snip
Man... Nine year old.

Wow, I haven't really thought about that yet. That little booger is

growing
up *fast*!!! He's already almost as tall as his mother. I guess before
too much longer he'll be graduating from high school.

The older you get, the faster you get older.

Nine??? Hell, you want OLD...mine will be 35 this year!

And I'm NOT old! REALLY...I'm not! I'm only going to be 43 myself!

(feeling a tad, ummmm...not young?)

Mike

Silvan July 20th 03 08:19 AM

Shop safety

The Davenports wrote:

Nine??? Hell, you want OLD...mine will be 35 this year!

And I'm NOT old! REALLY...I'm not! I'm only going to be 43 myself!

(feeling a tad, ummmm...not young?)

Well, when you get some lady pregnant at the tender age of 8 I guess it
makes life tough, huh? ;)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16572 Approximate word count: 497160