DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/18484-getting-bit-straight-cordless-drill-keyless-chuck.html)

Daniel July 17th 03 04:55 PM

Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

Hello,

Just wondering - how easy is it to mount a known-straight bit or rod
straight into a keyless chuck?

I usually have to loosen-adjust-retighten the bit into the chuck maybe
a half dozen times before a brad point spins straight without
noticeable wobble at the bit tip.

The drill I'm using is a Makita MForce 14.4v with 1/2in Rohm chuck
(6337DWDE). It's new.

Thanks!

- Daniel

JackD July 17th 03 06:32 PM

Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

Your chuck is crooked. I think that one in a hundred times I get a drill bit
chucked wrong the first time. Typically only on a tiny bit too. This is true
for all of the dozens of drills I have used. 6 times is ridiculous.
If it is new, take it back.

-Jack

om...

jo4hn July 17th 03 06:40 PM

Daniel wrote:

Hello,

Just wondering - how easy is it to mount a known-straight bit or rod
straight into a keyless chuck?

[snip]

Thanks!

- Daniel

Set the drill to the slowest speed and start saying some bad words on
about the third try.
mahalo,
jo4hn

WALT K July 18th 03 02:28 AM

Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

this is kinda hard to describe in words but here goes

I am right handed I hold the drill in my right hand pointing up

drop the drill in the chuck I have My left thumb and fore finger on
the drill bit I touch the trigger to get the drill turning slow
I let My fore finger and thumb align the drill at teh same time I
am squeezeing the chuck bock with my pinkie and ring finger ti
ghetn up the chuck when it all looks good I stop the drill moter and
finish tightening by hand

thsi is just a reflex action I had to stop and think about the steps
to write it down
its something you just have to see
try it with a wooden dowl til you get the hang of it so you don't
chew up your hands

DAMHIKT (dont Ask Me How I Know this )

Leon July 18th 03 02:37 PM

Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

Given that the drill comes with a keyless chuck, you may have to drill the 3
holes for the key.. ;~)

Leon July 18th 03 02:42 PM

Getting a bit straight in a cordless drill keyless chuck

Many 1/2" drill chucks do not go down to tiny and are better suited for 1/8"
and larger. If you are using a small bit, try closing the chuck all the way
and then opening until the bit will just slip in between the jaws, then
tighten.