Roy Welsandt

Default New To The Group

Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Roy Welsandt

Charlie Self

Roy Welsandt asks:

Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Well, as I recall hearing (and later yelling) coming down my first chow line at
Parris Island, "You'll be soooooooooooooooooooorrrrrry!" But that only applies
here if you fail to placate JOAT's woodworking gods.

You'll probably step on some toes as time passes. Sooner or later, you'll do so
on purpose.

Otherwise, enjoy the stay. There's usually some good info here, and
occasionally, some good camaradarie.

Charlie Self

We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom.
Stephen Vincent Benet

noone

I have found that common courtesy, consideration are always helpful.
In addition there is a FAQ posted from time to time (and an anti-FAQ which
is fun to read as well).
http://www.robson.org/woodfaq/
Most here are friendly, and many are VERY knowledgeable.
Text only (no HTML or pictures) messages, snipped on long posts are
helpful and serve to reduce "clutter" for others to wade through as they try
to read replies to threads.
Watch for the trolls (Don't feed the trolls G), maintain a sense of humor
and you will find the "Rec" to be rewarding and informative place to
increase your woodworking skills.
Tom

"Roy Welsandt" wrote in message
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

snip Roy Welsandt

Jim Mc Namara

Welcome aboard, Roy. Basically, don't post in HTML, no pictures, don't try
and spam or sell anything, keep a sense of humor, remember that Larry J
does *not* have a "C" in his name, always use Minwax when staining and
ESPECIALLY when you go to apply a high gloss coat of poly on your cherry -
and above all - share what you know with the rest of the class. :-) You'll
see the FAQ posted from time to time. Take a couple of minutes to give it a
gander - post away.

Keep a sense of humor - it helps us get by with the trolls (that you're not
allowed to feed.)

Have a great time - and BTW - it's your turn to buy the beer.

Jim Mc Namara
a.k.a. Jums, Jummy, Minwax Mac

"Roy Welsandt" wrote in message
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Roy Welsandt wrote:
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and
protocols I need to be aware of?

Why, yes. As the official treasurer of this august body, I am authorized to
collect your membership fee. Please send $29.73 to:

M. Schnerd, RN
222 South Herlong Avenue, Dept 4B
Rock Hill, SC 29732

We accept cash, MasterCard, Visa, and Diner's Club. Welcome to the group.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

jo4hn

I didn't see the following in the above posts: the newsgroups for
binaries and html are alt.binaries.pictures.furniture and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking aka abpf and abpw respectively. Be
nice to JOAT (he is case sensitive), Charlie, and Jums as they are aging
and inclined to be cranky. Stay tuned for the Groggy and Traves
"Squarewanger" (or whatever he is this week) show. Send $.25 to yr hmbl
srvnt whenever I post a stupid joke (tradition is almost as important as
greed (think I read that somewhere)).

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Roy Welsandt wrote:
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Roy Welsandt

Jim Mc Namara

"jo4hn" wrote in message that I snipped all to hell and commented:

Be nice to JOAT (he is case sensitive), Charlie, and Jums as they are
aging and inclined to be cranky.

Who the hell are you calling cranky? Hell son - what *I* heard was the last
time you got laid . . .

scroll down . . .

come on boy - a little farther

oh hell - what's the matter jo4hn - can't ya keep up with a cranky old man .
.. . ?

The last time you got laid . . . it was with a necklace made from flowers!

Maholo and LOL!

Jums :-)

Doug Miller

In article 3f1573d7_3@newsfeed, "noone" nowhere.com wrote:
"Roy Welsandt" wrote in message
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Welcome to the group. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Watch for the trolls (Don't feed the trolls G)

Some known trolls to avoid a

Al Kyder, whose posts are usually off-topic and frequently offensive;

Puppy Wizard, whose posts are always off-topic and always offensive;

Cass ), who cross-posts *everything* to alt.rv
and similar groups that are totally unrelated to woodworking, and somehow
manages to manufacture an argument in every thread s/he has ever posted to;

Woodworker Joe aka Woody Woodpecker ), who is not,
strictly speaking, a troll; however, his advice on most topics should perhaps
be taken with a grain or two of salt, and under NO circumstances should you
EVER follow his advice on anything dealing with electricity.

You will soon see that there is a diversity of political opinion in the group,
and several of us at various points on the spectrum hold our opinions strongly
and have no hesitation at expressing them. If you are politically
conservative, you may find yourself annoyed from time to time with Charlie
Self. Charlie is NOT a troll. His woodworking advice is of great value, and it
would be a HUGE mistake to killfile him because of a disagreement over
politics.

--
Regards,

Silvan

Roy Welsandt wrote:

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Not really. I've been drifting in and out of here for years, though I don't
spend enough time in a "drifted in" state to be considered a "regular."

The main thing you need to grok wreck wood is an understanding of some of
the lingo. There's probably a FAQ somewhere, or you can just hang out
until you figure out what everybody's talking about.

So just relax and have fun, and for pity's sake, stay away from any threads
that have some permutation of "sawstop" in the subject.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16513 Approximate word count: 495390

brian lanning

"Roy Welsandt" wrote in message ...
Hello.
I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?
Thanks.

Welcome. Most people have already posted good advice. Although I
would argue that you can sell things in this group as long as it's
your old 6" jointer you're selling because you moved up to a dj-20.
It's the people running a business and flogging their wares on a daily
basis (except for steve knight) that annoy people.

Please read the FAQ and visit groups.google.com before...

asking which tablesaw you should buy
asking which jointer you should buy
asking whether you need a jointer or a planer more
asking why everyone hates poly
asking if a woodworker 2 is worth the money
buying a drill press mortising attachment
buying any router with a 1/4" collet
and most importantly, buying anything from sears.

brian
Ernie Jurick

"Roy Welsandt" wrote in message
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I
need to be aware of?

Never believe anything Ernie says.
-- Ernie

Silvan

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

The last time you got laid . . . it was with a necklace made from flowers!

You know, the sad thing is I can't even say I've gotten *that* close to
getting laid lately.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16521 Approximate word count: 495630

Steven Bliss

wait wait wait! Sears sells good stuff, too! How about..."don't buy any
tool from sears that has their name on it"? Of course, to buy good stuff
from sears, you need to wear a wig & sunglasses so nobody sees you!
"brian lanning" wrote in message
[...]

Gnube

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:38:58 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Be nice to JOAT (he is case sensitive),

Now you tell us, sorry about the other day JOAT! {blame joAhn}

Take Care,
Gnube
I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)
Michael Baglio

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:32:14 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

...As the official treasurer of this august body, I am authorized to...

....reimburse me $712.42 US for the Oreos tm I brought to last
night's meeting.

You didn't get any? Sorry, they were really there. Promise. Gotta
get to 'em quick 'fore charlieb gets to 'em. He's frickin' addicted.

$712.42. E-mail me for the address. I got a receipt.

Michael Baglio
Chapel Hill
J.B. Bobbitt

And watch out for JOAT. He drinks beer with his pants off. If anybody else
even suggests doing that, the wreckers jump down your throat.

trust me on this one.

-JBB

"Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT" wrote in message
Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 4:09pm (EDT+4) (Jim Mc Namara)
snip remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name, snip

Are you trying to tell us there is a "k"?

JOAT
Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're
talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...All/page4.html

Andy Jeffries

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:56:25 +0000, Michael Baglio wrote:
$712.42. E-mail me for the address. I got a receipt.

Am I the only one that's a little scared that you have a receipt for over
700 dollars worth of Oreos?

Cheers,

Andy

Steven P

Well if you are the treasurer, I want to complain that the drill guide I
received for my dues doesn't work very well for spreading Gorilla Glue. The
Handyman of America drill guide is much better.

Steve P.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Roy Welsandt wrote:
Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and
protocols I need to be aware of?

Why, yes. As the official treasurer of this august body, I am authorized

collect your membership fee. Please send $29.73 to:

M. Schnerd, RN
222 South Herlong Avenue, Dept 4B
Rock Hill, SC 29732

We accept cash, MasterCard, Visa, and Diner's Club. Welcome to the group.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Vic Baron

Wait a minute - that's a sexist remark - the wreck is a unisex group

vgb

Steven P wrote:
Well if you are the treasurer, I want to complain that the drill
guide I received for my dues doesn't work very well for spreading
Gorilla Glue. The Handyman of America drill guide is much better.

Bitch, bitch, bitch....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Jim Mc Namara

"Michael Baglio" wrote in message:
Nice try on the diversion Mr. Jeffries, but it ain't gonna wash.

snip snip
rotating 'em around in your hands like those 'lil chipmunks do with

nuts...) ;

Oh never mind - I thought I was reading something else that Andy does with
his Oreos . . . .

:-)

Jums

Jim Mc Namara

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP has read all this and has hauled ass to a
better place! ROTFLMAO!

Jums

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
news
Wait a minute - that's a sexist remark - the wreck is a unisex group

Bitch, bitch, bitch....
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Great line Morty!