Tom Watson

Default Dead Man's Tools

Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock finial nearly done and
still spinning in his old Oliver long bed. His lead man, Jimmy
Parker, said that Harper died sitting upright on his stool, which he
had taken to using when doing the lathe work about the time he'd
turned eighty. On the day he passed, Harper was ninety three years
old.

Jimmy told us that Harper must have gone on to the other side while
trying to decide if he needed to strop his gouge, as his finger was on
the tools edge and he had a sort of thoughtful look to his face.
Harper was a fussy sort about edges, as is about right for a man who'd
made some of the finest furniture in Chester County for seven decades
and who always was a man to keep a cutting edge just right.

He was a neat and orderly man too and it didn't surprise Jimmy a bit
that he had died without dropping his gouge and without falling off
his stool. Jimmy figured that the first thing Harper would have said
to Saint Peter would be, "I wish you'd given me enough warning so I
could have shut down the lathe."

Harper Strode was for certain sure the best known and best loved
cabinetmaker in Chester County and more people turned out for his
funeral than had shown up for Deeter Collins', who was a pretty famous
baseball player in our parts and who was also a Marine Colonel. We're
pretty big on baseball players and Marine's in our town, but Harper's
funeral drew half again as many folks as Deeter's had.

Harper's work was all over our town and was pretty well distributed
throughout most of the other towns in the county, as well as in the
farmhouses that were between the towns. He'd never had more than
three guys working for him but he'd turned out a powerful amount of
cabinets, furniture, clocks and such from his bank barn shop.

The clocks were sort of his specialty. In early 1929 he'd agreed to
make a tall case clock to sit in the entry way of the First National
Bank. Hand shake deals were done even by bankers in those days and
Harper had agreed to make a Philadelphia Style Tall Case Clock (which
could have been damned near anything, since neither the banker nor
Harper could have told you in words what the clock was supposed to
look like) for the consideration of two hundred dollars. Ben Timmons,
the bank president, and Harper shook hands on the deal and the clock
was to be ready before the Christmas Holidays, which was always a big
deal at the bank, as the children from the town were toured through to
see the vaults and the teller's stations and all that, and they each
got a big candy cane and a dime bank card, that was to help them in
their learning about saving money.

It was Harper's first tall case clock and he was a might worried about
how it was going to come out but he contracted with Buddy Charles up
in Boyertown to build him the works and they were to be delivered by
the end of Summer, so Harper could build the case during the Fall.

Well, I guess you know what happened in October of 1929. Old Harper
wasn't much on phones and wasn't one to own a radio, but he heard,
sure enough, that things had taken a bad turn. Harper saw Ben Timmons
at church and told him that he could back out of the deal if things
weren't right at the bank. Ben Timmons was the third Timmons to be
president of the bank and he was a proud man. He told Harper, "Things
aren't too good at the bank right now, Harper but I'll make good on
our deal personally." That's the way things were done in our parts
back then.

Harper Strode was a proud man, too and he told Ben that he wouldn't
take his personal money and that he would finish the clock and that,
"The bank can pay me whenever times get better." So far as I know
(and Ben Timmons said the same to his dying day), no other man on
earth had ever said that to a banker before.

Now, Harper knew from the pictures that he'd been studying on that his
clock would need to have three finials up at the top in order to be a
proper Philadelphia Style Tall Case Clock. Most believe that he got
this idea from the John Wanamaker Department Store Catalogue, which
was, after all, the biggest store in Philadelphia and they should know
their business when it came to such things.

Problem was, Harper had never turned anything before and he didn't
even have a lathe.

Turns out that Fess Willard up in Honeybrook had a long bed Oliver
lathe that he'd got because he thought he could make a few bucks
turning porch posts during the Winter when there wasn't much happening
on his farm. Fess had a daughter that was getting married, quick
like, before Thanksgiving and he bartered with Harper to trade a cedar
hope chest for the lathe. Fess was a rough sort of fella and hadn't
made much progress with the porch post business and said that he'd
spent most of his time dodging lathe tools as they were ripped out of
his hands and flung around the cow barn. So, the lathe was pretty
much new.

Harper studied on this for a while, as he didn't think that he really
needed such a big lathe but, when Fess offered to throw in the lathe
tools and a half ton of hay, the deal was struck.

Well now, old Harper took to that lathe like a duck takes to water.
He just knew in his bones which way to come at the spinning wood with
the tool, which is no great mystery since the man already knew damn
near everything else about working with wood. He was a flat out
natural.

The clock was a glorious thing. The John Wanamaker Department Store
Catalogue didn't show enough detail to tell how the finials should
look so Harper came up with his own idea which everyone in town agreed
was right smart and is copied to this day by Chester County
cabinetmakers.

He got paid by the bank, as time went by, and Ben Timmons made sure
that all his banker friends ordered up tall case clocks from Harper,
so he got pretty famous for them. He made clocks for most of the
banks in our county and quite a few for the counties that bordered us.
He made quite a few for churches and quite a few more for regular
people, too.

As Harper's business grew he hired on Jimmy, who had been working as a
machinist at the Sharpless Cream Separator Works, and then Lester
Worthington, who was a bit addled in his mind but kept the place clean
and, as he was a bull strong fella, was a great help in the heavy
lifting.

Jimmy Parker was thought to be about the best lathe man at the
Sharpless Works but Harper never let him touch that long bed Oliver.
Harper so loved turning that he wouldn't let anyone else do it. Even
when he'd gotten too old to do the other work in the shop, Harper
would come in early in the morning and do the lathe work himself. He
was of a habit as to wake well before sunrise and do his turning
before the other men started their day. He prized his time at that
lathe as he prized nothing else.

That's why Jimmy wasn't all that surprised to find him sitting there,
dead and thoughtful looking, on that fine Spring morning.

Well, Jimmy wasn't a man to run his own shop, although he was plenty
happy working for Harper. Harper had no children that were interested
in the business, so the whole thing was put up for auction.

I went to the auction figuring on just watching while all the stuff
went for more than I could afford. The saws went high and the planer
went for more than what I could afford. Jimmy bought a chisel set and
the old grinder. Stevie Watts bought up all the clamps.

The last item was the long bed Oliver. I knew that Jimmy had always
wanted to have a go at that lathe and I figured he'd bid but he
didn't. No one else did, either. You see, the word had gotten around
that this was the tool that old Harper had died at and it seemed to
have cooled out the bidding. Jimmy wouldn't touch it, even when it
got down to two hundred dollars, which was less than half of what it
was worth. He told me later that it just wouldn't have felt right to
turn on Harper's lathe.

My Aunt Fay was fond of saying that, "God hates a coward."

When the price dropped to one hundred and fifty dollars, I bought
Harper's lathe.

I'd always had an idea that I might like to build tall case clocks,
just like Harper's. I didn't know anything about lathe work but I'm a
willing learner and thought the price was just too good to pass up.

I have to admit that the lathe sat in the back of my shop for months
before I got around to having a go at it. It was covered in sawdust
when I first tried to turn it on. She wouldn't start.

I called Jimmy and he told me, again, that the lathe was running when
he'd found Harper dead at it and that nothing had been done to it
since then. I spent a good part of a Sunday afternoon cleaning up the
Oliver, taking the scale off the bed and even gave her a good coat of
paste wax once things were shined up. I turned her back on - she
purred like a kitten.

Look here, I've never been a superstitious type but I was wondering to
myself if maybe Harper didn't see fit to let that old lathe start
unless she were properly cleaned up. Just a passing thought, you
know.

I'd some two by two square baluster stock sitting around and chucked
one of them into the lathe. I took Harper's old gouge (I'm not just
sure but I believe it might have been the one...) and laid it on the
rest with a mind to making a test cut.

The damn tool flung itself out of my hands and landed, point down, on
my concrete shop floor. Strangest thing - I'd not put but the least
bit of pressure on it.

There wasn't any sense in having another go at it without a thorough
sharpening and stropping, the edge had been made plumb dull by its
visit to the concrete floor. After fifteen minutes at the grinder,
stone and strop - I ran my finger on an edge that would make even
Harper proud.

At way past dinner time, my wife came out to the shop. By that time
I'd made half a dozen finials, just like Harper used to make for them
tall case clocks. Each one was an exact mate to all the others. My
wife sat the dinner plate next to the lathe and said, "I didn't know
that you could do turnings. They're so beautiful."

I looked up and saw she had a funny sort of expression on her face.
My wife is a good , strong Christian woman and has no tolerance for
superstition or any such ungodly foolery.

I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.

Preston Andreas

Thanks, Tom.

Preston

Lee Michaels

Had a hard time reading your story. Had an even harder time time writing
this post. On account of the tears that kept welling up in my eyes.

I've known a few old time artisans and craftsman. This story brought back
some memories. Where has the time gone?? And where are all of our old
friends??

You take care Tom Watson. You keep livin' like this, and in another fifty
years, another generation will be writin' tales like this about you.

Lee Michaels

Ross

very nice........

--
Ross Canant
www.myoldtools.com
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

charlieb

Wonderful way with words and colloquial (sp?) filled descriptions
of a time and place not likely to return -when a handshake was far
more binding than any 40 page legalese contract that isn't worth
the paper it was printed on. The cast of characters could be
found in most small towns and some of the names might even
be the same.

Much of those days values are all but forgotten - except for
a few who carry on the best of those times. Mr. Watson, you
are surely one of those few who take pride in doing their
work right and then some. And I'm certain that your
handshake agreements are more binding than any document
you might sign.

Thanks - this one's another keeper.

charlie b
Unisaw A100

Keith Bohn, speechless...
Thomas Bunetta

Words fail me...
Thank God they do not fail you!
Tom

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock finial nearly done and

snipped wonderful tale

Tom Watson wrote:
Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom,
I was born in Lancaster County, and your story took me home for a while.
I didn't recognise the names of the people, but I know the places and people
like them. My parents lived in Honeybrook for a few years when my father
retired. My mother even has a tall case clock like you describe, though
her's is too old to have been one of Harper's and has brass finials.
Now I'm going to have to go visit . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Steven P

There's not a whole lot that can be said following that wonderful story.
Fact or fiction, you have one of the greatest gifts of writing that I have
seen in a long while. I hope that there is a book of stories (short or
otherwise) somewhere in your future.

Steve P.

Pat Barber

I have said this before.

I think you are in the wrong line of work.

Anybody who can come up with those words needs to be
doing it for a living.

Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987.

Tom,

The story reminded me of my great uncle. Died sitting in his ez chair
with his favorite pipe in his hand. His wife had passed on recently.

You are a fine writer.

Wes

Tom Watson wrote:

Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock finial nearly done and
still spinning in his old Oliver long bed. His lead man, Jimmy
Parker, said that Harper died sitting upright on his stool, which he
had taken to using when doing the lathe work about the time he'd
turned eighty. On the day he passed, Harper was ninety three years
old.

[snip]
--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.
Gary Greenberg

Tom,

!!!

Thanks,
Gary

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:12:50 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987.

I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"

Thanks, Tom

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Mike

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock finial nearly done and
still spinning in his old Oliver long bed. sniiped

Excellent story Tom. Thanks for putting it on paper.. err ...into 0s and 1s.

Cheers,
Mike
Norman D. Crow

Once again Tom, simply marvelous.
Nahmie
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987.

snippage

Jim Mc Namara

Last night I was straightening out my garage. Against the wall under an ice
chest was a tool box my dad gave me before he died from Leukemia. I walked
over and took a look at the tools dad had kept in that old beat up box. He
was *no* handyman - bought the little gadgets when he though he might be
able to use them - and that was about all there was to it. I've still got
them - still in that four tiered tool box. Then you wrote this.

Thanks Tom.

Jim

Roger Jensen

Tom,

Thanks for taking time to share with us..

Rog

Beej-in-GA

Thanks, Tom. Pardon me for stating the obvious. You are not only a
cabinetmaker. You are also one damned fine wordsmith. Thanks for the tear
jerker. We all occasionally need to be emotioinal.
Later,
Beej
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock Snip of a marvelous

story.
Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.

Beej-in-GA

Thanks, Tom. Pardon me for stating the obvious. You, sir, are not only a
cabinetmaker, you are also one damned fine wordsmith. Thanks again.
Later,
Beej
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
snip of a marvelous story
Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.

Scott Brownell

Tom Watson wrote:

Harper Strode died on a fine Spring day in 1987. They found him
sitting at his lathe with a pretty fancy clock finial nearly done and
still spinning in his old Oliver long bed.

snip of a beautifully written tale

Thank you for sharing this Tom, it was absolutely wonderful to read. I
hope you'll submit it for possible publication like Walt does with his.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.
Gnube

wrote:

I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.

Now there's a first; a story involving banks, and I came out the
richer for it!

It don't get better than that.

Thanks

Take Care,
Gnube
I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)

Bruce Farley

Very well told. You have a way with words. Thank you.
Bruce

The Davenports

I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"

Nice one!

Is it true?

Does it matter?

Charlie Self

Dave Davenport responds:

I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"

Nice one!

Is it true?

Does it matter?

Nope. It may or may not be factual, but it's true.

Charlie Self

We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom.
Stephen Vincent Benet

David Wittenberg

In article ,
"The Davenports" writes:
| I smiled at her and said, "Yes, they are beautiful, aren't they?"
|
| Nice one!
|
| Is it true?
|
| Does it matter?

Of course it's true, otherwise it would not have received such a response.

Is it factual? Who cares.

--
--David Wittenberg

Mike Coonrod

WOW...if only some day!

Mike Coonrod

Tom Watson

I want to thank everybody for the kind words about my little story.

I'm happy, and a little surprised, that so many people seemed to enjoy
it.

Thanks again

..

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Remove CLUETOKEN to reply to email.
ChairMan

In ,
Tom Watson spewed forth and said:
I want to thank everybody for the kind words about my little story.

I'm happy, and a little surprised, that so many people seemed to enjoy
it.

Thanks again

.

No thanks needed. Not only did most of the wreckers enjoy it, I sent it to
about a dozen friends that enjoyed it too. I will agree with the majority
here though, you could definately give up yer day jobg

Scott Brownell

Ed wrote:

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
[...]

journey to becoming a cabinetmaker. Many years ago I worked with (not
for his words not mine) a cabinetmaker a German gent Fred Farhbach Pop
to all that knew him here on Long Island, he taught me things no one
could explain the subtle nuances of wood. He was an old timer when I
knew him 79 or 80 everyday at 3pm he would sit at his desk and remove
his cap and lay his head down and take a nap about a half hour then he
was up and going again. The shop at this time actually was owned by
his son Bob. Bob would always say that his dad would be very happy if
when the time came he would not get up from his nap one day.
I moved on and opened my own shop and about 13 years later I hired a
man who worked with them after me when we spoke about pop. He told me
that he just passed one afternoon at his desk he was 93 years old he
died as he lived covered with dust, I cried that day the old timers
were the best. To this day I use what he taught both in the shop and
in life.
Thank for stirring up the memories.

Ed

That's a story in itself Ed, thank you.

Scott
up later, the damage remains.
Phil Crow

Snip of beautiful story...

Thanks, Tom.

-Phil Crow
Turkish

So here I am, backtracking a bit.

I remember reading this post when it was first posted, and I was
touched.

Then, yesterday, I received word that the man that introduced me to
woodworking some 14 years ago had passed away.

He put his wife on a plane so she could have a brief vacation. He
went home, and he died.

It took a couple days for anyone to go check on him. By most accounts
he passed on the same day as the original post.

The woodworking community lost a fine man in R. Puncochar this week.
Please pause a short moment and wish him safe passage. He was a damn
good man.

Dan G

I'm rough and tough and don't cry over nuth. . . .. . . . . .

Keep the whole world singing. . .

Dan