Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Veritas Power Sharpening System - Primary / Micro-bevel Not Parallel

Based on favorable comments and reviews in this group and others, I recently
purchased a Veritas Power Sharpening System. After having used it for a
couple of weeks and sharpening every tool I could find with a cutting edge
(it's so easy), I'm convinced that I made the right choice. It produces an
edge that cuts as well or better than any I've been able to obtain with my
oil, or water stones, in a fraction of the time. I also like the fact
that's it's a dry system, so I don't have to contend with the oil / water
mess, which in my small shop is a huge plus!

That said I'm having trouble obtaining a micro-bevel that's exactly parallel
to the primary bevel. This in no way affects the sharpness of the edge, but
when it comes time to re-sharpen, I'm forced to remove more metal than would
otherwise be necessary to get back to the primary bevel.

As an example, on a 1 5/8” wide plane blade, the micro bevel on one end is
nearly 1/16” wide while the bevel on the opposite end is barely perceptible.
One thing that I find very interesting is that the bevel is always heavier
on the left side of the blade. This occurs even if I run the tool holder
and blade on the opposite side of the platter.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and found a solution.
I've talked to the folks at Lee Valley and they've been more than
cooperative and helpful. They've even gone so far as to ship me new
platters and media, in case mine were out of spec. Unfortunately, that
didn't solve the problem. I'm starting to wonder if maybe my technique is
at fault, or my expectations are too high.

Here are a few additional details:

- Both 3mm and 4mm platters are flat within .001 inches (when running there
is slight wobble (~.003) but this is consistent between platters.

- The tool bar is parallel to the platters - I have checked this several
times.

- There are no air bubbles between the media and platter (LV suggested
applying the PSA disks under water and even though this sounds
strange, it works great - zero air bubbles)

Veritas Jointer blade sharpening jig B A R R Y Woodworking 3 March 22nd 06 12:48 PM
Primary or System? Paul UK diy 2 September 1st 05 11:42 PM
Veritas (Lee Valley) #4 vs. the new bevel-up smoother (Hey Robin!) C & S Woodworking 1 June 2nd 05 07:02 PM
Micro-bevel on bench plane iron? Geoff Woodworking 4 January 28th 05 11:25 PM
CH system has no vent on primary Keith Refson - real email address in signature UK diy 8 August 27th 03 04:28 PM